Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Omar,
I've kept my P90DL for six years now and nearly 100k miles which is much longer than normal for me. The whole reason for doing this was to keep the "+" or firmer suspension shipped with the original PDs (for the first four or five months???).

By chance have you driven an early PD and, if you have, can you provide some insight as to how stiff the car feels in comparison? From a different angle, can you comment on suspension stiffness in comparison to other performance Model S variants?

Thanks!
Yup, I have followed you discussions on suspensions since the early days. :)

I have driven or ridden in most every version of the S and I think the new suspension does the best job of providing dampening while not having the car wallow or feel disconnected from the road. As I said yesterday, I had a winding strip of levee road to myself yesterday and pushed the car pretty hard and it remained poised and communicative. That being said, there is something about the mechanical linkage of a coil suspension that I don't think you can ever quite re-create in the air suspension.

I know that is kinda squishy, but hope it's helpful.

You are assuming there is no module already - which is a possibility since there is zero mention of Sirus/XM in the updated manual. On the other hand, the sticker they have shown indicates FM and Sirus/XM. The car has always had it so it would be really weird for it to be omitted. Hell, I'd bet that Sirius provides the boards for free to get the subscribers.
I don’t really understand why so many people are concerned with Sirius/XM integration. I used to be a long time subscriber, but canceled it several years back. It really is an archaic technology that is heavily compressed and sounds truly awful. If you have ever done an A/B comparison between Sirius/XM and Bluetooth streaming or the built in Spotify/Slacker integration the sound fidelity is night and day. Even FM radio sounds significantly better than Sirius/XM.

‘In the Sirius system, the bit rate in each 4-MHz channel is about 7.5 Mbits/s. Without the coding and encryption overhead, there’s about 4.4 Mbits/s for the audio that’s divided up among more than 100 channels. Voice-only broadcasts use low-bit-rate streams (about 24 kbits/s), and music broadcasts get streams of 40 to 64 kbits/s.” Now that HiFi lossless streaming services are becoming mainstream the quality difference is only widening. The highest quality Sirius stream transmits at a bitrate that is only 20% of a standard Spotify song at 320 kbits/s. This fidelity difference is easily discernible and significant. Why have a 22 speaker, 960 watt audio system if you are going to listen to it with a 64 kbit/s audio stream from Sirius?

People have talked about losing their wireless signals in certain areas as a reason for why they must maintain Sirius/XM. I don’t understand this one either. How hard is it to download some songs to your phone or put them on a USB stick to get you through these rare stretches. I also understand that some people might be drawn to certain proprietary content, shows or podcasts on Sirius XM. In these situations, even if the car doesn’t have a Sirius/XM receiver you can just sign in on your phone and stream it to the car via Bluetooth. I think Tesla realized this for the 3/Y and just decided to not even offer it. I can only assume they still offer it on the S/X because the buyer demographics skew older and these buyers are more reluctant to technological change.

Speculation on my part….

if you don’t get a VIN by Wednesday most likely you will fall into July/August for delivery of the plaid - especially on east coast. Wednesday is exactly 2 weeks until the EoM and EoQ.

I am shocked Tesla is working day and night to crank these cars out and get in as many deliveries as they can. Maybe they are and we just don’t know it and will be surprised, but one side of me doubts it snd another still wants to stay hopeful….

I don’t really understand why so many people are concerned with Sirius/XM integration. I used to be a long time subscriber, but canceled it several years back. It really is an archaic technology that is heavily compressed and sounds truly awful. If you have ever done an A/B comparison between Sirius/XM and Bluetooth streaming or the built in Spotify/Slacker integration the sound fidelity is night and day. Even FM radio sounds significantly better than Sirius/XM.

‘In the Sirius system, the bit rate in each 4-MHz channel is about 7.5 Mbits/s. Without the coding and encryption overhead, there’s about 4.4 Mbits/s for the audio that’s divided up among more than 100 channels. Voice-only broadcasts use low-bit-rate streams (about 24 kbits/s), and music broadcasts get streams of 40 to 64 kbits/s.” Now that HiFi lossless streaming services are becoming mainstream the quality difference is only widening. The highest quality Sirius stream transmits at a bitrate that is only 20% of a standard Spotify song at 320 kbits/s. This fidelity difference is easily discernible and significant. Why have a 22 speaker, 960 watt audio system if you are going to listen to it with a 64 kbit/s audio stream from Sirius?

People have talked about losing their wireless signals in certain areas as a reason for why they must maintain Sirius/XM. I don’t understand this one either. How hard is it to download some songs to your phone or put them on a USB stick to get you through these rare stretches. I also understand that some people might be drawn to certain proprietary content, shows or podcasts on Sirius XM. In these situations, even if the car doesn’t have a Sirius/XM receiver you can just sign in on your phone and stream it to the car via Bluetooth. I think Tesla realized this for the 3/Y and just decided to not even offer it. I can only assume they still offer it on the S/X because the buyer demographics skew older and these buyers are more reluctant to technological change.
I have had Xm radio since like 2007. As much as I have enjoyed it, cannot wait to get rid of it to be honest with you, lol.

You can just palm the right side of the yoke and it also honks. TBH not sure why the wasted a button of it on the touch portion instead of just making the center of the yoke a horn.

Overall, assuming I can rest my arm on the side of the door, I only use 3 o clock or 6 o clock to drive. I also hate wheels. I'm extremely excited for the yoke.
This is what I have been doing--rest left are on door and grab top-left corner of yoke, or rest right arm on console arm rest and grace bottom right corner of yoke.

I prefer XM built in for a seamless experience. I listen to several music and news channels. I like having them saved in "favorites" for quick, easy access. While it may be possible to reproduce these on my phone, I am not a big believer in jacking with my phone while driving, which would be required without CarPlay. I am not an audiophile, so I don't really care much about bitrates, etc.

⬆️⬆️⬆️ THIS THIS AND THIS ⬆️⬆️⬆️

To add... after every song there is a commercial, on every channel! They play a song, then they have to throw in their SiriusXM plug about how they are, ”commercial-free”....the irony! Not to mention the incessant DJ ramblings after every song. I cringe every time I have to hear that cigarette-choked voice of the old lady DJ on the 80’s channel rambling about some dumb thing that song reminded her of 40 years ago.

Good riddance SiriusXM!

I prefer XM built in for a seamless experience. I listen to several music and news channels. I like having them saved in "favorites" for quick, easy access. While it may be possible to reproduce these on my phone, I am not a big believer in jacking with my phone while driving, which would be required without CarPlay. I am not an audiophile, so I don't really care much about bitrates, etc.

Yeah, agree on using XM native at times, mainly use it also for news stations, etc. One option you may still have if have an iPhone is to install the Sirius XM app and add some shortcuts from teh app to Siri. You can use the Tesla voice recognition button hopefully with a long-hold to ask Siri to tell Sirius XM to play station "whatever" or number, etc.

I haven't been in an MS in a while, but for the voice controls - do they do the long hold to access the phone assistance like other makers still, and the short press for native voice control?

Plaid correct? I ordered mine on May 22nd, I did the white interior with

Mine just went from June 25-30 to blank :(:(:(
Red/White/Wood Plaid with FSD
No one with white interior is getting it this month. The only other person who received a VIN after the two event deliveries is someone with black interior and also people with black interiors happen to be the majority with June delivery dates. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reactions: HumanInput
New Refresh Videos are up on the website, and give a lot of the features and how to use them.
Thanks as always Omar!
Damn that red is beautiful!
I had June just moved to July last night. LR, arachnids, FSD.
I enjoy listening to the cable news channels. Does the new MS not accept apple car play

@dhanson865 So you gave me the thumbs down because you know the battery in the Plaid is the 4680 cell?
Where is there even a thumbs down button? 😅

A lot of concerns about the horn, where do you guys live and what is it that you use your horn so much for? I’ve owned my current car since 08/13 and I think I can count on both hands how often I’ve used my horn since. Wouldn’t even be able to tell you what it sounds like in a line up of cars.

No one with white interior is getting it this month. The only other person who received a VIN after the two event deliveries is someone with black interior and also people with black interiors happen to be the majority with June delivery dates. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I’m black exterior and black interior. Ordered on 5/10, seems before the others that got their VINs. On difference is mine has CF interior since when I placed my order that was the only option.

Reactions: Ramphex
Where is there even a thumbs down button? 😅

A lot of concerns about the horn, where do you guys live and what is it that you use your horn so much for? I’ve owned my current car since 08/13 and I think I can count on both hands how often I’ve used my horn since. Wouldn’t even be able to tell you what it sounds like in a line up of cars.

Florida. How else do you get someone’s attention to follow up with 🖕?