Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Canadian Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to speculate on what this might mean for the first Canadian deliveries... if the approval arrives before they get to the Canadian sigs, then they will start shipping immediately. If not then they will have to store 200 cars at Fremont (at least they have the room) until they can ship them. But with the extra delays it's more likely for them to get approval on time.
Despite the logic of your conclusions, I think it would be fairly crazy for Tesla to start producing the Sigs *without* approval. After all, if they *don't* get approval that would mean they have to go back and retrofit 200 cars, pretty much immediately, which is not efficient.

I think if they had no Sigs left to build which had approval, at that point they'd start building Ps and Rs and storing *them* (which would maintain the principle that the Signature holders get delivery before P and R holders).... at least I'd hope so! Of course, if European cars are approved they could produce European Sigs while waiting for Canadian approvals, etc.

However, they certainly seem to be expecting Canadian approval before they've finished the US Sig cars, so that would be the right assumption to work with.

Transport Canada is probably trying to figure out where to put the maple leaf on the car. If you've ever sat through any Parliamentary hearings, you'll realize that the position of the maple leaf and its size is a big deal[SUP]tm[/SUP].

Transport Canada is probably trying to figure out where to put the maple leaf on the car. If you've ever sat through any Parliamentary hearings, you'll realize that the position of the maple leaf and its size is a big deal[SUP]tm[/SUP].

Welcome to Canadian Bureaucracy. My work at a pseudo-governmental institution includes attending meetings where we discuss (for three hours) whether or not our goal is to "Educate students towards their next career" or "Educate students towards their next careerS". Sigh.

In the USA, the press were not allowed test drives until the government approvals came through. If that rule is the same in Canada, we might have a very encouraging big hint here (also a great review):

A lightning bolt in harness

Good article; well-written and extremely positive. I hope the rear seats are approved by Transport Canada soon, though... I can't fit my whole family in without them, and that was how I convinced my wife to put down that much cash.

I got a quote already. Was barely more than a 2008 Hyundai Accent!

Wow! I called my insurance company (RBC Insurance), and they had a bit of trouble looking it up, but eventually came back with a preliminary quote of $2,305 + tax / yr. for $1 million liability and $400 deductible comprehensive. This is about $300 more than I pay for my 3 year old Cadillac CTS. I have a 6-star no claims rating and have multi-car plus home and auto discounts. Either Hyundais are really expensive to insure, or I'm with the wrong company!

I see you're also in the GTA. Can you share who the insurance company or broker was? I usually shop my insurance around every couple of years (and until now have not been able to beat RBC), but maybe it's time to shop around again!

Hello Canada!!! Just a quick note...

I know some of you are wondering if there will be a "Signature Update" coming your way similar to the one in the US several weeks ago? Yep, we will do so shortly. We needed to wait just a little longer to finalize a few things before sending it out. It will be hitting within the next week or so... all good news too!

General Production reservation holders will also be hearing from us soon. General Production configurations for Canada are on track to start right around the end of the month.

GeorgeB

Hello Canada!!! Just a quick note...

I know some of you are wondering if there will be a "Signature Update" coming your way similar to the one in the US several weeks ago? Yep, we will do so shortly. We needed to wait just a little longer to finalize a few things before sending it out. It will be hitting within the next week or so... all good news too!

General Production reservation holders will also be hearing from us soon. General Production configurations for Canada are on track to start right around the end of the month.

GeorgeB

George, does the first part of your General production comments refer to US or Canadian reservation holders?

This post is all about Canada... General Production reservation holders in Canada will start hearing from us around the end of the month to start configuring their car.

GeorgeB

Good news for you Canadians! I follow this thread with interest, as seeing Tesla broaden their operations outside of the US warms the heart also of us Europeans waiting impatiently.

And to mr. George B: I'm amazed by your direct participation here in the forums and the way you are communicating and updating your early adopters. This also gives med a lot of confidence for the future as a European reservation holder. I won't nag here about time lines for Europe or European pricing, I have faith that you are not holding back in any way and we should all be amazed at the pace with which Tesla Motors is progressing!