Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S buyer--previous EV/Hybrid owner?

What's the highest evolution of vehicle propulsion you've had?

• Full EV (highway capable)

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • Hybrid (Prius, Volt, etc.)

Votes: 47 27.5%
  • Conventional only

Votes: 84 49.1%
  • Never owned a car

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My boss has a Volt and he loves driving it - drives it to work everyday. He has driven something like 6,000 miles and only used 4 gallons of gasoline. He said the ICE turning on is the biggest buzz kill that he does anything he can to avoid using it.

EXACTLY. I have a PHEV (A "waiting for my tesla" lease) and I agree. Buzzkill perfectly describes the feeling of the ICE turning on. And the less than monthly trip to the gas station is a buzzkill too.

"no, honey, it's not THAT cold we don't really NEED the full heater do we..and we like going 60 mph don't we..." (while frantically performing the 'these are not the droids you are looking for' Star Wars wave)

This guy even found that the ICE kicks in when EV mode is selected!

I have a PiP while 'waiting for the tesla'. Getting 90-150 mpg depending on the month's driving patterns, ~100 average historic (9 months).
I am happy with it. Would have purchased a Volt if in the same situation again.

No it does not accelerate briskly. For any imaginable definition of briskly. We went from a 250hp convertible to this one. Definitely not Tesla-forum "briskly". But the carseat had to go somewhere.

Yes if you floor it while in EV mode it will invoke the ICE demon. It makes a lot of sense. I'd rather have it do that than have a truck rear end me while I try to putt putt out of his way with 1 kwH left in the battery.

I get a whooping ~ 13 miles of EV mode per charge (on net level trips, even w hills)

Yes using the climate control with the full fan and AC MAY turn the ICE on.

I pay for RECs so my power is 100% 'quasirenewables' i.e wind, biogas, small hydro, solar (WA).

The worse part of owning a PHEV in my experience was the buzzkill of the ICE turning on and occasional trip to the gas station.

The best part of a PHEV was getting to know the EV community and experience firsthand - the whole 'lifestyle' is a blast - looking for chargers in your phone, sharing your home's plug on plugshare, smiling as you regen on a long downhill, enjoying the silence of the EV mode, cursing at ICE drivers blocking chargers, seeing more and more chargers pop up all around, the gameified attitude to increasing the mpg, educating other drivers that it's a practical thing, etc.

Happy but ready to move on, and I strongly recommend most people to just go to EVs when appropriate (and that is a large subset of drivers these days).

Never owned a hybrid here. Model S will be replacing my diesel 3 series BMW. I figured it was the closest sedan in performance characteristics to a Model S that I could get 2.5 years ago. (Tons of torque (425 ftlbs), very wide torque band, very quiet). I just had to get the MSP since I didn't want to step down to a car with less torque. :)

Oh, hey, neat. Somehow I missed this poll, even though it was posted a month before i got my Model S. I'd be curious to see if the split has changed over the last couple of years.

No hybrids or EVs in the garage prior to the Model S here. Had been Audi's and BMWs before.

I was reservation number 50 for the Nissan Leaf, placed before it was revealed, but after the reveal the odd styling, poor handling, and disappointing range put me off. I canceled and vowed "if any of the Germans come out with a pure electric I'm in."

After test driving the Model S at the first Get Amped event July 2012 I was amazed to see that an American car company had built a car that handled as well as a German. Bought the car and some stock. The rest is history.