Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Battery Pack - Cost Per kWh Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's right in line with what Elon said earlier this year of a "magic wand" price of $60-70/kwh for their current chemistry based on what it would cost to buy raw materials at London Metal Exchange prices. Of course, Elon's lowering even that absolute price floor by looking to deal directly with metal mining companies and optimizing logistics.

I agree with you, Tesla probably buys enough silver to deal directly with silver producers (Miners/Refiners) in Canada and Mexico and get out of paying the exchange fee. I don't know enough about the other exchange traded metals Tesla uses to comment so I have to stop with this.

Elon just said that he will be disappointed if it would take 10 years to get to $100/kWh level!
And remember his tone, extremely confident. Add to that all the battery improvements in the pipeline they can't fully share yet, but were hinting at, and openly saying EVs will reach price parity with ICEs much earlier than 10 years, I think we have great things ahead in a galaxy very, very close. (Close as in 3-6 years instead of 10-15).

If someone wishes to see hidden info, like price per kWh on page 18, it is all text, just select it and copy paste somewhere...

Here is the paste from hidden part of page 18, but this works on all pages:
Labor 0.07 5.7 3.6%
Utility 0.07 5.7 3.6%
Manuf ovhd 0.04 3.3 2.1%
Yield losses 0.05 4.1 2.6%
R&D 0.10 8.2 5.1%
SGA 0.10 8.2 5.1%
Cell cost 1.94 159 100%
Profit, 8% 0.16 13 8%
Price 2.10 172 108%

- - - Updated - - -

Update: for some parts like page 21 you would had to extract images unfortunately...
Extract-from-the-Tesla-battery-report (3).jpg

Navigant estimates the cost of materials going into a battery at the Tesla Gigafactory on a processed chemical basis (not the raw ore) is $69/kWh [this metric is per kW per hour of operation]. The cost of the battery is only ~10-20% higher than the bill of materials – suggesting a potential long-term competitive price for Lithium Ion batteries could approach ~$100 per kWh. Tesla currently pays Panasonic $180/kW for their batteries
Interesting.

Citigroup: solar + battery storage “socketâ€￾ parity in years : Renew Economy
This, in turn, will eliminate the need for subsidies, will deliver paybacks for solar plus storage of around 6-7 years in Australia and some European countries. And it will also become attractive at grid level, with solar and storage at grid parity in large parts of the world by 2030, meaning that network operators will be installing them in significant numbers.
Citigroup estimates a 240GW global market for energy storage worth more than $400 billion by that date. That is excluding car batteries.

Well now I know what caused Tesla to spike in the beginning of October, that is a large number.

Last edited: