Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S at CES 2011 - NVidia Tegra

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nvidia + Tesla is super exciting news, but having just come back from a ski trip in Utah, I have a question for you guys in cold climates - is this touch screen going to be a problem when wearing gloves? There may be a voice command alternative, but that gets negated if you have noisy passengers (kids).

nvidia + Tesla is super exciting news, but having just come back from a ski trip in Utah, I have a question for you guys in cold climates - is this touch screen going to be a problem when wearing gloves? There may be a voice command alternative, but that gets negated if you have noisy passengers (kids).

If it's anything like the I phone, you have to get special gloves.

I don't need gloves in a heated building. While inside I'll just use my I phone to turn on the car heater before I put my gloves on and go out. Once inside the car I can take them off again 'cause it's toasty already.

Yes it seems to be restricted to reservation holders and probably Roadster owners. My login at Tesla's website had timed out and I couldn't find the blogpost, but when I logged in it was available. Unfortunately no time to watch so have to wait until tonight.

Cobos

I wonder if we'll see new apps become downloadable or even get to load our own stuff.

I thought that also. The potential downside is future apps that may interfere with the vehicle's operations. If software is integrated into systems controlling steering, braking, battery usage, etc. we would have to be wary of apps, which may be written specifically to harm these systems.

I thought that also. The potential downside is future apps that may interfere with the vehicle's operations. If software is integrated into systems controlling steering, braking, battery usage, etc. we would have to be wary of apps, which may be written specifically to harm these systems.

I would hope that critical functions run in a separate, dedicated CPU (or CPUs) from the touchscreen processor. That would minimize the possibility of catastrophic failure. On fly-by-wire aircraft they don't run the entertainment system on flight hardware!

I expect that, for simplicity, there will be one entertainment/hvac/display control system and that the guest apps will run in a virtualized sandbox. PEM will be autonomous.

I'm not very concerned about the local guest apps that I install; I'll be careful. I'm more concerned with the increasing use of the bi-directional link between car and data centre. I predict a very nasty hack in the coming years that will ground a significant car fleet.

I'm more concerned with the increasing use of the bi-directional link between car and data centre. I predict a very nasty hack in the coming years that will ground a significant car fleet.
I have a professor friend at UC San Diego who published a paper showing how you could do that to existing OnStar deployments. Here's a NY Times article about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/14/science/14hack.html and here's the actual paper: http://www.autosec.org/pubs/cars-oakland2010.pdf.