Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s at 40,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to update this thread.

My car has been charging to 100% every night since November 2013. Since I have started doing this, I have been able to reclaim 33 rated miles. I am now back to 264 rated miles for a 100% charge with 45,000 miles driven in less than 14 months. Based upon my battery, I have not seen any apparent degradation.
That's astounding, particularly since that type of charging goes against what Tesla has said about keeping the car at max charge (and, hell, what seems to be generally known about high SOC). Obviously, it's true :), but it really opens up the discussion about what makes sense for charging.

Do you have an A or B pack? Presumably A, unless you've driven a bunch in a short time.

As someone who is also a very high mileage driver, now sitting at 39.4k miles. Daily driving 210 miles charging both locations. I basically do two half cycles per day but I have frequently done down to 10-20 miles during these winter months and charged back up to 90%. I have tried range charging a bunch of times recently but I am not timing it right and it's always at like < 3 minutes of charging left before I have to go. I fully realize that sometimes during these range charges that 3 minutes could be more like 10-20 minutes. So I don't think I am actually letting the pack balance itself. That being said, at 39.4k miles I consistently show 255 miles rates range with it still charging when I leave. It seems the pattern is those of us that use our batteries more either a) have a more accurate SOC reading or b) have better balanced packs or c) both. This is why I don't think there's really been much pack degradation yet for anyone really if any at all. None of us know the exact details of their algorithms but there's no doubt in my mind that their battery management system is so advanced that it really minimizes pack degradation to a point where it's really really negligible and that these packs will indeed last 20 years despite whatever charging patterns we apply. Their BMS system acts as a buffer between us and the battery to prevent someone from damaging their battery pack even if you intentionally tried.

I'm sitting at ~34k... Max Range charge is ~251. The Max Range restoration program is intriguing to me... I think Tesla needs to write a Blog or white paper to give us more guidance. Max Range charging does appear to restore rated miles but is that going to be at the expense of capacity a few years down the road?

that's because he's too busy driving non-stop

- - - Updated - - -

I just reached 35k on my P85 this week. I've had it since March `13 (10 months), and currently driving at a rate of 1100mi/week.

Once you driven one, you'll never go back. I will never buy an ICE car again. I don't even know if I will ever buy a non-Tesla vehicle again. If I could afford a second one, I would. If I can finagle trading in my wife's 2013 Ford Flex for the Model X next year, I will.

The Model S blows every other car away. It's fast (0-60 in 3.9 seconds, quarter miles in 12.3), it's silent, it's the safest car in the world, multiple car of the year awards, it's large and roomy with 2 trunks, tons of innovative features and it keeps just getting better with every software release pushed over the air, it's sexy, stylish, oh yeah and it's runs on electricity. no gas. no oil changes. no maintenance. no huge engine with parts to break. no tailpipe no emissions. :) it also saves me lots of money every month between the gas savings and toll booth discounts. and I get to drive in the HOV lanes. if it seems too good to be true, well it is so what more do you want?

How are you currently doing on range? When you do a standard charge, what rated mileage are you getting? What about a trip charge?

I am now back to 264 rated miles for a 100% charge with 45,000 miles driven in less than 14 months. Based upon my battery, I have not seen any apparent degradation.

At 23,000 miles, my 100% range charge is still 207-209 miles (209 was the range when delivered new from factory). I also severely drain my 60kW pack regularly below 10 rated miles and to Charge Now.

Those are astonishing results. The battery pack seems to be performing way, way above specifications degradationwise. It can probably outlast most gas engines manufactured today!

Those are astonishing results. The battery pack seems to be performing way, way above specifications degradationwise. It can probably outlast most gas engines manufactured today!

I think the key point about the Model S battery is that even if it has an approximately 10% SOC loss after 100K miles or more (which seems reasonable to assume), it still offers a very usable range because of the widespread availability of Superchargers and other charging stations. ICEs also lose power after that many miles while at the same time continually needing engine repairs and parts replacements. An electric motor can likely last hundreds of thousands of miles without needing maintenance or repairs.

For that reason I think that the Model S will depreciate in value less over time than a comparable ICE model.

34,000 miles, purchase Dec 2012.
Range charge 250 miles exactly.
Average wH/mile over two winters = 327; this will decrease to less than 320's by my second tesla anniversary date.
All good. Enjoy - Of all the things in life that do not matter, this is the best.

Last edited:
Fixed! Ooopsy -
Here it is again reposted with several corrections. I drive better than I type, swear:

Average wH/mile over two winters = 327; this will decrease to less than 320's by my second tesla anniversary date.
All good. Enjoy - Of all the things in life that do not matter, this is the best.

After just 6 months of driving, I've hit 18,000 miles on my odometer. When I max charge I'm getting 264 miles of range when I would get 268. To get those 4 miles back, is the recommendation here that I constantly max charge for then next few weeks?

Most of the time when I max charge, I do it specifically to balance the pack, but do I need to do it more often because I drive so much?

Fixed! Ooopsy -
Here it is again reposted with several corrections. I drive better than I type, swear:

Note: I just saw ModelS1079 yesterday and he has a roof rack for 2 bikes on his car for "improved" aerodynamics :)

Most of the time when I max charge, I do it specifically to balance the pack, but do I need to do it more often because I drive so much?
Don't do it.

There is practically no harm to the battery if it is slightly out of balance and there is absolutely NO harm to the battery if range estimation algorithm has it a bit wrong.
There is measurable harm to the battery if it is often "range charged".
How often is 'often? No one can tell but two range charges are worse than one range charge and 10 range charges are worse than 5 range charges.

You range charge when you need the range i.e. you plan a trip over 4/5 of non-range charge, otherwise you do standard.

45,000 miles this week. Dec 2012 delivery.
Average wh/mile (two winters, springs, summers, falls) = 338 wh/mile.
Range charge is still about 250, but I need to confirm this. It's about right.
19 inch wheels, never have used snow tires (Mass and NH residences).
This car is Breaking Bad.
So Good.