Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 85 versus 70D? Trying to Choose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly any Tesla be it 60, 85, 85D or any P85?? has more than enough power for any scenario in everyday traffic. Personally I prefer the S85 RWD because it feels more alive (IMO) than an AWD drive car. Also the frunk in the 70D & 85D is really a lot smaller and that could be important.

My choice today would be a CPO S85 if I didn't want autopilot or a new S85 with autopilot. I would skip AWD all together and I live in a snow climate.
I walked away from an inventory S85 w/ Autopilot b/c it wasn't the right color setup for me. They can be found if you prefer RWD with Autopilot.

I walked away from an inventory S85 w/ Autopilot b/c it wasn't the right color setup for me. They can be found if you prefer RWD with Autopilot.

Cyclone, did you go coils or SMS? If I give up the SMS and get the S85, It's only a $2500 increase, which I could certainly do. I'm curious if these coils provide a better connectivity to the driver. That's what I've read. Maybe I need to drive each?

Sorry - just read your signature file - you got SMS. I'm wondering if this is something worth trading in for the S85 bigger battery and frunk.

Cyclone, did you go coils or SMS? If I give up the SMS and get the S85, It's only a $2500 increase, which I could certainly do. I'm curious if these coils provide a better connectivity to the driver. That's what I've read. Maybe I need to drive each?

Sorry - just read your signature file - you got SMS. I'm wondering if this is something worth trading in for the S85 bigger battery and frunk.

Actually, I would have been fine with coils. That said, I've never driven a MS with them. All my test drives and friends' cars have had air. Personally, I am indifferent to it and if I was ordering new, I would personally be ordering coils. But alas, I am buying a CPO and it had air, so oh well. I really would recommend driving both personally if you are undecided.

FWIW, my owner advisor knew that I preferred connection with the road (went in the weekend / fun car) and told me to go with the stock coil setup. The air will be smoother for sure, but if you want to "feel" the road, he said to stick with the stock.

On a side note--it's refreshing to receive advice like this from the "dealer." With other brands (and the traditional sales model...), they are trying every trick in the book to get you to tick off options boxes!

On a side note--it's refreshing to receive advice like this from the "dealer." With other brands (and the traditional sales model...), they are trying every trick in the book to get you to tick off options boxes!

Agreed.

When I went for a test drive, they knew I was a budget conscious shopper, they tried to convince me I don't need most of the available upgrade items (some of which I ended up getting anyways).

Agreed.

When I went for a test drive, they knew I was a budget conscious shopper, they tried to convince me I don't need most of the available upgrade items (some of which I ended up getting anyways).

Yep! I told him I usually listen to talk radio and some music--but never cranked up. He made it a point to only have me test drive cars with standard audio--so if it was sufficient, no need to second guess whether or not to spring for the $2,500 UHF package.

It seems there recently was a thread on this topic. Obviously, which car is best depends on your situation; there are tradeoffs.

For us the tradeoff is clear. While we'd love AWD and autopilot, we are doing very nicely without them. As for the small range difference, it doesn't matter for normal around-town driving or when you are going Supercharger to Supercharger. But when you take a trip off the Supercharger network - boy, do you value every mile you have. While I'd be happy to have a 70D as a second Model S, there's no way I'd trade my S85 for one; we have taken a few range-stretching trips that a 70D couldn't have done. There are also frunk size, driving speed, charging speed and (likely) longevity advantages to the S85; though those aren't a huge issue for us.

If you live in an area dense with Superchargers, or if you have another car you can take on long trips, the extra miles might not be such a big deal for you so the 70D may well make sense. Do remember, though, that once you go electric you won't want to go back and you won't want to drive your ICE as long as your Model S can make the trip. At some point it won't matter; but where we are now, I think few people will regret getting as much battery as they can.

Last edited:
After driving a Dual Motor for 5 months, I had my 1st experience with a single motor car.
The frunk is significantly larger and I made excellent use of it. However, in real world driving, the trunk is WAY easier to access (or even the back seat) than the frunk.
Having a smaller, less practical frunk is one of those issues that looks more serious on paper than in the real world. I'm sure there are exceptions......but if this concerns you, try opening and closing the trunk and the trunk a half dozen times or so, and try to extrapolate into your lifestyle.

I'm now considering trading in my 2+ year old "loaded" (for 9/13) 85 for a 70D. At this point the range difference is about 12miles and I've never even dropped below 20miles remaining in my S.....and that's just because I chose to stretch it one more day.

Am am curious about the genuine performance differences of each with air suspensions. Any info/experience? For the record, I'm purely trading in for winter performance purposes.

Thx

Basically it comes down to: Do you want all wheel drive, or do you want a front trunk?

I use the front trunk all the time on trips and not having it would make a difference to me. It's nice to travel and have everything hidden either in the trunk or the frunk. Also I don't use a suitcase, just lay pants and shirts in the frunk still on hangers and put the small clothes in a duffle. This wouldn't be possible with just the trunk.

Basically it comes down to: Do you want all wheel drive, or do you want a front trunk?

I use the front trunk all the time on trips and not having it would make a difference to me. It's nice to travel and have everything hidden either in the trunk or the frunk. Also I don't use a suitcase, just lay pants and shirts in the frunk still on hangers and put the small clothes in a duffle. This wouldn't be possible with just the trunk.

Yeah...I don't care about a front trunk. Hasn't crossed my mind. I'm just curious if people have any insight on the driving performance and dynamics between the two. Range isn't an issue either. Trying to figure out if I am giving anything up by trading in my 85 for a 70D. Or...would it be an upgrade given all the hardware updates I've missed out on. I don't even have the auto folding mirrors and just barely got parking sensors to give you an idea of he vintage...

I'm just curious if people have any insight on the driving performance and dynamics between the two.......

My take on is that my S85 with RWD feels like a gentle push from behind when you press the pedal, up to a swift kick in the rear when you floor it. The P85D loaner I had didn't really push/pull you as much as it just moved instantly, then proceeded to flatten you against the seat.

The difference in feel between RWD and AWD is noticable and I personally prefer RWD. Which is why I ordered it even though AWD was available. Also if you are budget conscious then the S70 is an even better deal.

My take on is that my S85 with RWD feels like a gentle push from behind when you press the pedal, up to a swift kick in the rear when you floor it. The P85D loaner I had didn't really push/pull you as much as it just moved instantly, then proceeded to flatten you against the seat.

The difference in feel between RWD and AWD is noticable and I personally prefer RWD. Which is why I ordered it even though AWD was available. Also if you are budget conscious then the S70 is an even better deal.
\

So, it is most people's opinion that a RWD 85 out performs a 70D? Aside from AWD, the things I am "missing out" on are: Emergency Braking, Power Folded Heated Mirrors, Next Gen Seats and likely just a better quality product (less trips to the SC for silly things like a sqeaky door handle).

I looked long and hard for a used S less than a year old. AP was my only non negotiable...had to have it. Ended up with a nice Dec 23 2014 original delivery S85.

I have had RWD performance sedans and have never felt the pressing need to have AWD. I always use winter tires...am in WI...and have never had problems. I know how to drive in the snow, and winter tires make the car perfectly capable.

Full disclosure though...in full blown snowstorms, I either stay home or drive my Expedition (have to have it as a tow vehicle for a big boat). I don't worry about me ory car getting stuck. I worry about all the other people who live here and can't drive in snow.

I like my cars to be amazing, but I am not a fan of adding unneeded complexity. To me, an AWD anything adds complexity without adding function that I consider valuable. Others do...and that's cool. For me though, RWD and never been stuck.

I looked long and hard for a used S less than a year old. AP was my only non negotiable...had to have it. Ended up with a nice Dec 23 2014 original delivery S85.

I have had RWD performance sedans and have never felt the pressing need to have AWD. I always use winter tires...am in WI...and have never had problems. I know how to drive in the snow, and winter tires make the car perfectly capable.

Full disclosure though...in full blown snowstorms, I either stay home or drive my Expedition (have to have it as a tow vehicle for a big boat). I don't worry about me ory car getting stuck. I worry about all the other people who live here and can't drive in snow.

I like my cars to be amazing, but I am not a fan of adding unneeded complexity. To me, an AWD anything adds complexity without adding function that I consider valuable. Others do...and that's cool. For me though, RWD and never been stuck.

You make good points. Our 85 has been "fine" in the snow. The only time I have had issues is going uphill. Unfortunately, our driveway to our house is a 30 yard ramp up to a landing/parking court. We've been stuck at the bottom of it more than a couple of times. Also, the mountain that we go to ski now has destination chargers which makes it way more doable to take the model S to the mountains. Again, the house we stay at there has a steep road and driveway. Then I think about that fact that I have a relatively "early adopter" edition of the model S....which would be cool to see how long it would go.

We've been stuck at the bottom of it more than a couple of times.
Also, the mountain that we go to ski...
Again, the house we stay at there has a steep road and driveway.
Then I think about that fact that I have a relatively "early adopter" edition of the model S....which would be cool to see how long it would go.

Well that concerns me a tiny bit. In a Jag XF - never had trouble in the driveway and I have an exceptionally steep driveway. Hopefully the weight balance of an S doesn't give me trouble this winter. Time will tell.
Mountains? And ski resorts? Totally don't have those. If I did, I might want AWD.
And "how long will it go?" An awesome question. Trumped (in my opinion) by "how cool is AP?"

Just intentionally adding to your personal state of what-should-I-do... :)

Just intentionally adding to your personal state of what-should-I-do... :)

Yes and doing a great job of it!

You may have seen us in the news last year.....buried in snow like never before. It wasn't the norm and I may just be scarred from it.

As for the driveway, a quick shovel or snow blow of some tracks and going up in reverse usually helped. I think I may give it another winter and see how it goes. My other car is a beast of a 4 door wrangler...I may just lean on it a bit more. Ideally, the 85 can last forever and I'll get an X for when the kids grow out of the third row in the S!

\

So, it is most people's opinion that a RWD 85 out performs a 70D? Aside from AWD, the things I am "missing out" on are: Emergency Braking, Power Folded Heated Mirrors, Next Gen Seats and likely just a better quality product (less trips to the SC for silly things like a sqeaky door handle).

If you order a new RWD 85 you can have all the safety features and the next gen seats. Just select 85D in the designer and then select RWD.

New member here. Seeking collective wisdom of Tesla veterans.

I've been reading a lot of posts on here for some time. I was actually close to pulling the trigger last year on a Model S, but some job interference took my mind off cars.

I am now ready to do the deed, but cannot decide between the 85 or the 70D.
An 85D would be obtainable, but I would have to eliminate some options.
However, the $5,000 difference between an 85 / 70D is not substantial and I will soon move to Arkansas to start a business, so AWD is not a requirement.

(Lack of Service Centers and SC's are more my worry).

I like the extra range of the 85, but from what I've read on here, the AWD component of the 70D makes it handle better.
Performance between the two seem to be a wash.

Faster SC charging seems to favor the larger 85 battery.

So I'm still up in the air.

Any thoughts from the group? Thanks

There's a youtube video about which model to buy, a guy compared all the model S and conclude that 70D is the best choice to best, if you are loaded with $ then it doesn't matter. the difference between 70D and 85, based on the video, there's only 20 miles difference between those 2 in day to day drive, and you are basically paying 10k more for 85. plus you need to pay more on the insurance for 85. here is the link: Tesla 70D vs 70 vs 85D vs 85 vs 90D vs P90D - YouTube