Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 75D Rated Range = 259

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my MS 75D on 9/28/17 and my Rated Range has been about 7 miles less the the published range of 259. I currently have 2000 miles. I read somewhere that you need to charge to 100% to help the battery get the FULL Rated Range but that did not help (done it a few times before a trip). When I had the car in for service the rep told me that it takes about 1 year of usage to get the FULL Rated Range. I excepted his answer at the the time but it did not sit well with me. Many have said that over time you would loose a little range (but not much) but not the other way around. Would like to hear if others are having the same experience. If this is unusual is there a suggestion on how to get the FULL Rated Range. My normal routine is to charge to 80% overnight.

Try driving the battery down below 20% then charging back to 100% twice. My 100% was 259 when I bought with 1,100 miles. Then it dropped to 257 by 8,000. I had it max out at 251 the other day after dipping below 10% charge, so I cycled it again and it's back up to 257. It changes a couple of miles if you switch Range Mode ON of OFF as well.

Rated range is not only calculated by the state of charge, but also from they way you typically drive your car and the environment. As the parameters change the rated miles will also change. If you are an agressive driver, they display will show a lower range than a more conservative driver would see.

Some is up to the car, and some up to the driver and environment.

If you drive in heavy rain, or at higher speeds you will see your rated range decrease.

Rated range is not only calculated by the state of charge, but also from they way you typically drive your car and the environment. As the parameters change the rated miles will also change. If you are an agressive driver, they display will show a lower range than a more conservative driver would see.

Some is up to the car, and some up to the driver and environment.

If you drive in heavy rain, or at higher speeds you will see your rated range decrease.
Rated range is based on the EPA rated range. It doesn't change with the way you drive. What you are thinking of is Projected Range. Projected range appears on your Energy graph.

Unfortunately many in the Service Centers don't understand this, either, and will tell you with great authority and conviction that your rated range is dropping because of the way you drive. Not so. It is just something they say -- they don't understand it.

My 75RWD each time I have charged to 100 is 242. Best I have ever seen was 243.
22256528_10155868998857608_4342647354800425938_o.jpg

I got my MS 75D on 9/28/17 and my Rated Range has been about 7 miles less the the published range of 259. I currently have 2000 miles. I read somewhere that you need to charge to 100% to help the battery get the FULL Rated Range but that did not help (done it a few times before a trip). When I had the car in for service the rep told me that it takes about 1 year of usage to get the FULL Rated Range. I excepted his answer at the the time but it did not sit well with me. Many have said that over time you would loose a little range (but not much) but not the other way around. Would like to hear if others are having the same experience. If this is unusual is there a suggestion on how to get the FULL Rated Range. My normal routine is to charge to 80% overnight.
It's completely normal to lose up to 5% of range in the first year, even in the first month. But it shouldn't drop much from that point on. Yes, many people on here will report almost no drop in rated range after several years and 40-50 k miles, but those are the superperformers, not the typical, or average. And no, you won't see increased range after a year of usage. Was that the Torrance Svc that told you that? That's where I take my car, and they have never given me misinformation like that.

It's completely normal to lose up to 5% of range in the first year, even in the first month. But it shouldn't drop much from that point on. Yes, many people on here will report almost no drop in rated range after several years and 40-50 k miles, but those are the superperformers, not the typical, or average. And no, you won't see increased range after a year of usage. Was that the Torrance Svc that told you that? That's where I take my car, and they have never given me misinformation like that.
Yes it was the Torrance SVC. When I got my car in Fremont they had it set to Ideal so my trip home was very confusing. It has been consistent at about -7 from Rated since I started checking. I mostly check when I charge to 80 and 90%. Right now at 90% charge I am at 226 and should be 233. I did see it at 227 but pretty sure never more when at charge to 90%. Pretty sure at full 100% it was 251 or 252.

Last edited:
I've only charged my battery to 100% and it's a 9/2017 delivery 75D. The ranged was 253 miles. The car is my daily driver/commuter which is about 35 miles round trip so it doesn't weigh too heavily on me
I actually work from home so 7 miles is not a problem. But when I got the car the 75 was 5k cheaper and the rated range was 249. So part of the decision was the added range. So if a normal 75 is getting 249 and I am getting 251-253 then it is not much more. Also, I have read that you loose range over time and I am starting out with less range. Maybe this is normal since both our cars built at about the same time with about same range.