Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can't do 80 miles in a 75D I doubt even the extra 8-10KWh is going to help. Note the 90D only has around 85KWH at most. More typically 83KWH usable. The 75D actually has pretty close to the full 75KWH.

And that 8-10 kwh is the difference between running a marginal trip with and without heat.

Do a 150 mile trip (in a P85D) at -25 with no heat, 5 miles below the speed limit, cycling the defrost on and off to try keep the windshield at least partly clear, while considering the consequences of waiting for a flatbed for 2 hours at -25 at night in a dead car.

And then explain again to me why the extra 8-10 kwh isn't of value.

Reactions: wesley888
And that 8-10 kwh is the difference between running a marginal trip with and without heat.

Do a 150 mile trip (in a P85D) at -25 with no heat, 5 miles below the speed limit, cycling the defrost on and off to try keep the windshield at least partly clear, while considering the consequences of waiting for a flatbed for 2 hours at -25 at night in a dead car.

And then explain again to me why the extra 8-10 kwh isn't of value.

Did you read the part about the 75D being much more efficient than your p85d? Let me guess you have the 21 inch performance rim.

Also did you read the part about his trip only requiring 80 miles not the 150 miles you stated.

Also did you read the part about plugin over night?

Hi All,

I am too torn between the 75D and the 90D. The 75D is more than sufficient for my daily commute and day to day needs with its 259 miles "EPA" range. And the best part is that it fits my budget like a glove. But every now and then we visit family which ends up being about 160 miles round trip and there are no destination nor superchargers on the entire route.

It still comes down to money vs inconvenience. $10K more for a 90D. $8.5K less for a 60D ($6.5K after Monday). There are many options to manage even a 60D for your winter trip, possibly zero cost if you can plug in to a 110 outlet in your relatives garage. If you want zero inconvenience then get a 90D but it doesn't fit your budget like a glove.

Keep in mind that if you will be driving it regularly in the winter you will want to install a set of Michelin X-Ice with Lugano Rial wheels and TPMS sensors, or something like that, which will set you back $2500. The tires on my S85 were not effective in cold weather and snow and I would normally drive a different car in those conditions. If you get the right tires then the Tesla is better than most cars in winter conditions.

Did you read the part about the 75D being much more efficient than your p85d? Let me guess you have the 21 inch performance rim.

Also did you read the part about his trip only requiring 80 miles not the 150 miles you stated.

Also did you read the part about plugin over night?

Did you read any of my prior posts where I talked about the same? Apparently not.

And the 75D has very slightly less range that my P85D (on 19s) - so I'm not sure what you're going on about. The loss on efficiency on the P85D is almost entirely an effect of the larger rear motor

I drive a 75D. I frequently do drives between 100-130 miles. However this is NorCal, not great lakes and it certainly doesn't get anywhere that cold. I put AP in 75mph and let it run. I usually get done with approximately 5-10 miles additional consumption above the rated range when I do that speed, with A/C on at 70-72. That is, 120 miles done, ~125 mile delta in rated range. Temps here have dropped to 50-60 typically during the time I drive. There are days when I do 120 miles each way and just charge to 90% (232 miles), then plug it in at one of the L2 chargers at work an hour or two and I make it home just fine.

Sometimes the car tells me to stick below 65mph to get home, but if it's really early on, I ignore that, and as the drive proceeds , it recalibrates its estimate and the message goes away on its own. Not that I'm advising ignoring the warning - I just know it well enough, and I have superchargers en route to bail me out if I screw up.

I have been driving 75D for two months now, my daily commute is 80 miles roundtrip, about 80% highway, and involve up and down hills. I don't really look at speed while driving, would go over 80 mph when traffic is clear. My last 1000 mile is 279Wh/mi, so I think the EPA range is pretty much on spot. Well, given 50-60 degree temperature in California, it may be ideal for the battery. IMHO, $10,000 is too much for an occasional 160 mile trip. If you are too concerned about couple of those trips in winter, renting an ICE car makes more economical sense.

Unfortunately CA environment is perfect for EVs. But Michigan or Minnesota winters destroy EV efficiency. You are right though that $10K becomes hard to swallow for that occasional trip. But then I also do not want to be in a position of avoiding going to visit family during winters or being under stress everytime we do make that trip. Its an odd dilemma and if ONLY there was ONE Supercharger on the way it could have saved me a ton of money.

OP, if the family trip is all that worries you, and you'd rather save money - have you considered saving $18,500 and go with S60D, then spend $200 to install a dryer plug at the family garage? It would give you an added benefit of being able to drive around while visiting family, and if you ever wanted to can upgrade to 75KWh. 60D you can charge to 100% all the time, so for daily driving it's pretty close to 75D. Just a thought.

Hmmmm very intriguing!!! Certainly a ton of savings per month. Let me look into it. I wasn't aware that one can keep it 100% charged all the times. And yeah it seems like a logical thing to do as in get the 240 NEMA installed at relatives' place too. As long as they don't have an issue with it. They shouldn't....they better not haha.

Though it does make the perfect excuse. "Sorry honey, we can't go visit the inlaws this winter. I'd love to go, but unfortunately the car doesn't have enough range!"

hahahah. Hey if they were that kind of inlaws, trust me i'd have gone with a 60D and closed the discussion then and there. Fortunately (or unfortunately) they are super nice so the 60D argument won't work hahaa. Super funny though...loved it.

Reactions: Max*
If you do go with the 60 you can also make a lightweight 50' extension cord from these materials:

6/4 SOOW SO Cord 50 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire cable | eBay

Camco 55353 50 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle New Free Shipping | eBay

Camco Power Cord Plug 50 Amp Electric Male Connector RV camper Travel Trailer | eBay

Remove the neutral plug and it will fit most dryer and range outlets but make sure you match the amps in the car with the outlet being used. Also, mark the extension cord "Tesla Only" since it should never be used for RV's or damage will result.

More info here:

How to build a lightweight 50A extension cord

That should reach the dryer outlet, combined with your UMC. You don't want a store bought extension cord since at 50' with the extra wire the Tesla doesn't need it's much too bulky and unruly. I made two 30' ones myself and I keep one in the car at all times, and take the extra one when I travel so I can always reach a friend or relative's outlet. It's also great for hotel air conditioner outlets, RV plugs, and even laundromats (with permission of course). I needed to be creative since I had my car before there was even one supercharger in Canada.

If you do go with the 60 you can also make a lightweight 50' extension cord from these materials:

6/4 SOOW SO Cord 50 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire cable | eBay

Camco 55353 50 Amp Female Replacement Receptacle New Free Shipping | eBay

Camco Power Cord Plug 50 Amp Electric Male Connector RV camper Travel Trailer | eBay

Remove the neutral plug and it will fit most dryer and range outlets but make sure you match the amps in the car with the outlet being used. Also, mark the extension cord "Tesla Only" since it should never be used for RV's or damage will result.

More info here:

How to build a lightweight 50A extension cord

That should reach the dryer outlet, combined with your UMC. You don't want a store bought extension cord since at 50' with the extra wire the Tesla doesn't need it's much too bulky and unruly. I made two 30' ones myself and I keep one in the car at all times, and take the extra one when I travel so I can always reach a friend or relative's outlet. It's also great for hotel air conditioner outlets, RV plugs, and even laundromats (with permission of course). I needed to be creative since I had my car before there was even one supercharger in Canada.

Don't buy now, wait for the 100D. You want to ensure you can make the 80 miles in -25 F at 145MPH. With internal temp at 75. What's an extra 35K?

Tribaltech,
When I first started looking at Tesla, I was thinking 70D, but for many of the same reasons as listed previously by others I decided to maximize the battery pack to minimize range anxiety, and maximize travel flexibility. Now that you've seen the light on the 90D, let me further confuse things for you. I'm in the camp that believes a 100D is not that far away. There is part of me that is hoping one gets announced before the end of the year so I could make the jump to AP 2.0, as well as bump the battery pack up at the same time. Yes, it would be costly given that my car is only 5 months old, but it's something I do have my eye on. The end of the year is the cutoff in my mind because of the reduction in free Supercharger privileges that comes along with the new year.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you can stand to wait a few weeks, it might be worth that wait to see what comes along.

Also, if you plan on having this car for a while, you may want to expand your thinking beyond today's situation. While 160 miles round trip may be your current longest without a Supercharger (that also assumes no additional driving around while on the trip (groceries, etc.), who knows what your situation might be 5-10 years down the road.

I'd love a 100D but I don't have that kind of money :(

Oops. Yes, if this is round trip with a known destination In the middle. Just spend some money on a 14-50 at the relatives.

RV outdoor 14-50 (includes outlet and waterproof box) - $30

50a breaker - $10

Flex conduit, fittings - $10

#6 wire $15

Electrician - $150 (or so)

Of course, assuming circuit box is outside somewhere.

Given occasional use, it doesn't have to be in the best place, just somewhat accessible and lowest cost.

Can add 30 miles in an hour.

Plus, they will be ready for the future!

Now, if you want the extra range and a bit more performance and money isn't a big concern. Get the 90. The one "I told you so" AVOIDED from the significant other will be well worth the investment! Still, invest in an outlet at their location. You will need it to take everyone there on rides.

THANK YOU THANK YOU! Your post made me have an epiphany!! Why the heck didn't I think of it. Because for my day to day stuff and more the 75D is MORE than sufficient. Just this family trip stuff was causing me some trepidation. But you are absolutely right in that getting a 240V outlet installed at relatives' place is going to be wayyyy cheaper than spending the extra on a 90D. Beautiful! Thank you!

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
OP, if the family trip is all that worries you, and you'd rather save money - have you considered saving $18,500 and go with S60D, then spend $200 to install a dryer plug at the family garage? It would give you an added benefit of being able to drive around while visiting family, and if you ever wanted to can upgrade to 75KWh. 60D you can charge to 100% all the time, so for daily driving it's pretty close to 75D. Just a thought.

Excellent idea and thanks a ton. Like another poster above this makes perfect sense. Getting a 240V installed at relative's place would be way cheaper than shelling out the money on a 90D.

Hmmmm very intriguing!!! Certainly a ton of savings per month. Let me look into it. I wasn't aware that one can keep it 100% charged all the times. And yeah it seems like a logical thing to do as in get the 240 NEMA installed at relatives' place too. As long as they don't have an issue with it. They shouldn't....they better not haha.
If your relatives have reservations, include a power meter with the NEMA socket like the one in the picture below. Or, you can make yourself a little extension cord with the power meter inline. Then you can offer to pay the relatives for the power your Tesla uses, so that you don't have to feel uncomfortable driving around while visiting and they don't feel like they are subsidizing your hobby (most people don't realize how little it actually costs to charge a Tesla since they think in terms of gas fillups).
Power Meter.png