Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my car's pulled 5.3GB this week but nothing has installed yet. I'm hoping I get 2019.5.x soon. Hopefully tonight, as I've got about a 350 mile round trip to do tomorrow.
5.3 GB is too large for an OTA update. I'm 99% that it was the onboard maps that were updated. It's done silently in the background so there's no user indication that it was done.

That's stupid. Why not use offline maps all the time when there is no service. When I go driving for fun in the mountains I don't have navigation set because I don't have a destination. However I don't want to end up in a dead end or on a one way gravel road as I have found myself often because of this bad map design.
On the S, we have two screens and IIRC, the large screen displays the online maps (downloading the tiles as they needed) and the offline maps are used for the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. Obviously, the 3 only has the one screen and doesn't show both.

In your Navigation settings, there should be an option for "offline routing" or something like that. You might check and see if it is checked for you. If so, you should still be able to navigate when in the mountains, even if no map tiles are displayed.

I am not in the early access program, but I received 2019.5.3 over the weekend and received 2019.5.4 this morning. It looks like the closing of the trunk no longer sets off the Sentry Mode alarm as it did before. The blind spot chime seems to only go off when you are in the process of changing lanes while a car is in your blind spot. That is what I noticed in 2019.5.3, and it seems the same way in 2019.5.4. I think it should alert you even before starting the lane change.

The feat Microsoft has to accomplish to do what they are doing is about 1000 harder than Tesla. Tesla has three known and very similar hardware configurations S, X, and E. They totally control the hardware. It has no third party software or drivers it has to be compatible with. It is so much easier its not even in the same league. And the distributions are so small something in the order of 300,000 vehicles.

Microsoft has to deal with an infinite number of possible hardware configurations they have no control over, a gigantic number of third party drivers. They have to maintain compatibility with all software ever released going back to the '90s or earlier. Different CPU architectures 32bit, 64bit with different instruction sets like ARM, AMD, Intel. 1.5 billion people run Windows. Imagine that distribution nightmare. Their insider program (customers who opt in to be beta testers) is probably larger than Tesla's entire distribution. Yet personally I feel, as the head IT guy of a small enterprise running a Microsoft shop, overall Windows has gotten less and less buggy over the years. I still maintain Tesla has a lot to learn from them.

Ah, touché. Point taken. I'm still a little bit annoyed from dealing with the aftermath of MS introduced bugs at my job, hence my semi-rant :p

Does it really matter? Not really, we all have to wait anyways, and I guess Tesla can do no wrong.

Don't be silly. Tesla gets plenty wrong. For example, 2019.5.0, 2019.5.1, 2019.5.2, and 2019.5.3.

I'd like to see somewhere, anywhere where non testers have the features and are posting about them, but it can't be done because it's not in general release.

Several people just pointed out that a bunch of us "nobodies" here in the thread have reported getting it, and several Influencers seem not to have gotten it. I'll just ad this: the simple truth is that most of the random people who got this release first aren't going to run here and report it.

I got 5.4 this morning. It was an update to 5.3, which I got five days ago.

Here is my general comments on 5.3 and just got the 5.4 upgrade.

These reinforce the rollout process - it's not random new people getting 5.4. It's people who just got 5.3, which turned out to have some sort of problem, and they want to address it right away.

We'll see how big it ramps - I hope 5.4 starts to go wide.

On the S, we have two screens and IIRC, the large screen displays the online maps (downloading the tiles as they needed) and the offline maps are used for the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. Obviously, the 3 only has the one screen and doesn't show both.

I'm 99.9% certain there's only one maps download with the map data. You're talking about code that can render teh map two different ways on two different screens, but they'll rely on the same set of map data.

I'm 99.9% certain there's only one maps download with the map data. You're talking about code that can render teh map two different ways on two different screens, but they'll rely on the same set of map data.
The online maps tiles download as you are driving around. The offline maps are about 5.3 GB in the US and are currently only downloaded a couple times per year, at most. On my former S 90D, I had three sets of offline maps in two years.

Reactions: MP3Mike

In your Navigation settings, there should be an option for "offline routing" or something like that. You might check and see if it is checked for you. If so, you should still be able to navigate when in the mountains, even if no map tiles are displayed.
I haven't been out to my car yet to confirm but I think I got that backwards. I think it uses the offline maps for routing but there's an option for online routing where it can take current traffic and other variables into account.

Has anyone gotten the Sentry Mode update that isn't in California?

If we're going to argue that it's a rolling release, and not a beta test/validation then there needs to be evidence that people outside of California are getting it with the same likelihood as someone in Cali.

I do expect Cali to have a higher number simply due the population density of Tesla's there.

I don't believe it's a rolling release. I think Tesla is simply using feedback from people in California to make changes/correction.

Last edited:
The blind spot chime seems to only go off when you are in the process of changing lanes while a car is in your blind spot. That is what I noticed in 2019.5.3, and it seems the same way in 2019.5.4. I think it should alert you even before starting the lane change.

So this part is a little odd to me. The sound/alarm that happens there is a vehicle in your blind spot and you are changing lanes, isn't that just the side collision warning?

Did they change the alarm sound or is that just the side collision warning going off? The blind spot chime should come on when you turn on the turn signal and there is a vehicle there, which I believe is how most other manufacturers implement it.

I'm in CA and I haven't gotten Sentry Mode. Is it being widely released yet?

Nope, I'm just trying to see if anyone has gotten it outside of Cali.

To support the idea that it's a rolling release. With a rolling release you wouldn't just test in one area as you wouldn't capture differences in other areas. Sure you'd still release to California people first as that's like the mothership. But, you'd quickly sprinkle some past California.

So this part is a little odd to me. The sound/alarm that happens there is a vehicle in your blind spot and you are changing lanes, isn't that just the side collision warning?

Did they change the alarm sound or is that just the side collision warning going off? The blind spot chime should come on when you turn on the turn signal and there is a vehicle there, which I believe is how most other manufacturers implement it.

My understanding is its supposed to work the way you described (as soon as the turn signal comes on), but it simply doesn't work correctly right now.

Reactions: DDotJ
I think the issue is that Google doesn't license their maps for offline storage/usage. Tesla could probably display a map based on their own maps that are designed for navigation uses, but it probably wouldn't be pretty. (And they probably don't think it is worth the effort.)
Interesting. I guess they went "ghetto" with Google maps to save money but this mapping system is not optimal because right when you are in the middle of nowhere when you need the map the most, it goes away. They need to move away from Google then, and buy their maps from a company that can also distribute offline. Maybe Bing maps.

There is no off line map option in the settings of Model 3.