Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Review after Test Drive - "Better than a BMW"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autocross in a Tesla Model S

Tesla old p85 regularly beats a 2013 BMW M3 in autocross. It's close, but he beats the bmw more often than not.

I can see that, considering the instant torque and no gear changes is an advantage over ICE cars on a low speed auto-X. Even the owner admits the Model S advantage is at <50mph. That said, the 2013 BMW M3 with NA small V8 has very low torque and only comes on at high revs. The new M3 with I6 TT has HUGE torque at low rpms(almost unusable without TC, lol). I bet the story would have been a little different against a 2015+ BMW M3... But this is tread is about the Tesla M3, not S. Given the shorter wheelbase and reduced weight vs the S, I'm hopeful that the M3 will be even more competitive against the BMW M3...

But the amount of people who actualy track their cars, is a niche way under 1% of the market.
And of that 1% what percentage of those drivers are competent drivers? I don't watch track driver videos but the few I've seen you see the competent drivers with mediocre cars smoking much faster cars. Just because you take it to the track doesn't mean you can drive. Majority of times you see people street racing is in a straight line. None of this, let me put it in launch mode first. This isn't Fast and Furious/Transporter/Death Race.

Reactions: Red Sage
LOL for a car that can't even complete 2 laps on any decent track before the battery pack overheats.....

Not to mention all the carbon, nitrogen oxides, and other poisonous gases the BMW spews into the atmosphere as it goes around in fancy circles on the track. Get over it. Track days for ICE's will soon be a dinasour if climate disruption continues its current course.

There's a bit of a catch-22 there. Rightly or wrongly, people attribute "style and pizazz" to performance. At the risk of offending Leaf owners here, I've never heard "style and pizazz" used to describe the car.

So the driver looking for performance discounts the Leaf as a "hippie weirdmobile", and never gives it a further look.
Yep, and an idiotic car such as the i8 generates hype. I have driven one and have two acquaintances who bought them, although both sold them within months. Pizazz also is not enough.
Reality does show the BEV's drive well, hybrids sometimes do,sometimes don't, but a well balanced BEV seems to be only the province of Tesla. Even Elon seems irritated with that. People would rather fight free distribution than to actually compete. Of course there are a fair number of different "oxes being gored" by Tesla and Elon.

Not to mention all the carbon, nitrogen oxides, and other poisonous gases the BMW spews into the atmosphere as it goes around in fancy circles on the track. Get over it. Track days for ICE's will soon be a dinasour if climate disruption continues its current course.

If you want to do something about climate change then instead of attacking people who burn some extra fossils at a track meet (which also usually results in them becoming much more highly skilled and SAFER drivers) maybe you should go talk to India & China, because no matter how "green" we get in the United States, those guys are going to keep on polluting till the cows come home and the typical person from India or China would laugh you out of the room if you insisted they spend a little bit more on a cleaner vehicle or give up some of their habits because it might keep the global annual median temperature from going up .1C over the next 60 years.

Street, yes.

Track, no.

A general purpose EV will not be engineered to have cooling necessary to go flat out on a track for long periods of time (race/multiple laps).
~*ahem*~ A drag strip is a track. The BMW M... ANYTHING will get its arse handed to it by a Tesla Model ☰ P135D on the drag strip. And it will do so all day long. Run, after run, after run. Same thing for the slalom, skidpad, and braking.

And, once again... The cooling system that Tesla Motors uses is AWESOME because it is able to keep a battery pack in optimum condition within a thirty degree Fahrenheit range of upper and lower limits. If it were possible to simply refrigerate the pack to below freezing to maintain performance, it would be spectacular. But doing so would actually kill the battery cells in short order.

Cooling an EV is simply an engineering trade off. There is Formula E, Electric racing. The 2015 overall winner of the Pikes Peak hill climb was an electric car. So you can cool an EV for racing/track usage if you want to.
Yes. The trade off would be longevity, durability, reliability... Oh, wait... All the exact same problems you run into with an ICE that is tuned for track duty as a race car! You know what? If you have a pit crew to tow you, or a follow truck to come to your rescue, and a few replacement motors, and drive units, and battery packs, and suspension systems, and cooling systems, and tire sets, and... Well, sure, then you can afford to throw caution to the wind and tune a vehicle for the immediate satisfaction found by taking your car to race on a track.

If you want to do something about climate change then instead of attacking people who burn some extra fossils at a track meet (which also usually results in them becoming much more highly skilled and SAFER drivers) maybe you should go talk to India & China, because no matter how "green" we get in the United States, those guys are going to keep on polluting till the cows come home and the typical person from India or China would laugh you out of the room if you insisted they spend a little bit more on a cleaner vehicle or give up some of their habits because it might keep the global annual median temperature from going up .1C over the next 60 years.

Not to mention the additional pollutants that are created in the manufacture of these expensive batteries. If someone is serious about helping the environment, then they should stop driving and get on public transportation. I have seen some of the local greenies give up their cars and instead choosing to rent or use a Zipcar for those few occasions where they do need a car for something. I see far too many people who think driving an EV gives them moral superiority over other people. It is just as bad as when hybrids started getting popular years ago. Even if EV's get popular and become the energy source for most future cars, there is the problem of generation and delivery of that electricity. Our grids are horrifically outdated and many regions are maxed out in terms of generation.

I did reserve the Model 3 on 3/31... I was really looking to reduce my car count, not add, but it looks like I'll be using the Model 3 on the street and keeping my F80 M3 and other track toys...
I am ever reminded of the line from the Indiana Jones movies, "It belongs in a museum!"

Just as horses are a nostalgic indulgence typically enjoyed on a closed course on the weekends... So will be the case with ICE vehicles before long, as they are put out to pasture. Like horses, running a Ferrari or Pagani will certainly be fun in that arena... But your [BUM] will be happy to settle into a nice, comfortable Tesla for the ride home.

Oh, wait... What's this...?

If someone is serious about helping the environment, then they should stop driving and get on public transportation.

I don't get it, before you tell us this you quote with approval...

maybe you should go talk to India & China, because no matter how "green" we get in the United States, those guys are going to keep on polluting till the cows come home

Then you tell us to take transit rather than drive EV's? Why does it matter given what "those guys" in India and China are doing?

Maybe there's degrees of things and it's not all black and white, and driving an EV is better than driving an ICE, but not as good as taking transit, and unfortunately there will still be starving children in this world even if our kids finish everything on their plate.

That's pretty harsh on India and China, both are growing their renewable energy production as a % of total at a faster rate than the US. Both have committed programmes of moving to a higher % of EV's over the next 10 and 20 years than the US.
Both are suffering for extremely high pollution problems as Western manufacturing as been exported to them as a way to benefit from cheaper labour costs, reduced regulatory demands and reduced consumer inflation.

~*ahem*~ A drag strip is a track. The BMW M... ANYTHING will get its arse handed to it by a Tesla Model ☰ P135D on the drag strip. And it will do so all day long. Run, after run, after run. Same thing for the slalom, skidpad, and braking.

And, once again... The cooling system that Tesla Motors uses is AWESOME because it is able to keep a battery pack in optimum condition within a thirty degree Fahrenheit range of upper and lower limits. If it were possible to simply refrigerate the pack to below freezing to maintain performance, it would be spectacular. But doing so would actually kill the battery cells in short order.

I am ever reminded of the line from the Indiana Jones movies, "It belongs in a museum!"

Just as horses are a nostalgic indulgence typically enjoyed on a closed course on the weekends... So will be the case with ICE vehicles before long, as they are put out to pasture. Like horses, running a Ferrari or Pagani will certainly be fun in that arena... But your [BUM] will be happy to settle into a nice, comfortable Tesla for the ride home.

So, Tesla is Trackable... Good to know. Unfortunately, while they maybe competitive at drags or auto-x, on a road course, it's not even close to the BMW M3(latest F80 version). Fastest posted Laguna Seca laptimes by pro drivers, 1.39 for the BMW M3/M4, 1.48 for the Tesla Model S. So, while I would love to put to pasture some of my ICE "sports" cars, that will have to wait till there is more development of EVs. Wait, when was the Roaster 2.0 coming out again? ;)

So, Tesla is Trackable... Good to know. Unfortunately, while they maybe competitive at drags or auto-x, on a road course, it's not even close to the BMW M3(latest F80 version). Fastest posted Laguna Seca laptimes by pro drivers, 1.39 for the BMW M3/M4, 1.48 for the Tesla Model S. So, while I would love to put to pasture some of my ICE "sports" cars, that will have to wait till there is more development of EVs. Wait, when was the Roaster 2.0 coming out again? ;)
There is always the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive...

Sidebar -

Notice the speedo racing on corner exits? Doesn't the Model S have LSD? The speed shows higher than 155mph due to tire spin?