Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Review after Test Drive - "Better than a BMW"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do gearheads/petrolheads always use this as a metric? As though it has any real world benefit?

I do not understand.
Because they're gearheads. I don't fault someone for focusing on a particular aspect of a car as something they value.

With that said, ignoring the advantages of driving other more fuel efficient vehicles, one of being able to spend money on a car for the track instead of gas for your daily, is one of my pet peeves.

Reactions: Red Sage
LOL for a car that can't even complete 2 laps on any decent track before the battery pack overheats.....

LOL - how many BMWs in Toronto do track regularly..... or how many has EVER done any laps, or any part of a lap in any "decent track"?

Actually, there isn't even a "decent track" in GTA! You need to go to Cayuga, Shannonville or Clarington... and most BMW owners have not heard of those places.

Because they're gearheads. I don't fault someone for focusing on a particular aspect of a car as something they value.

With that said, ignoring the advantages of driving other more fuel efficient vehicles, one of being able to spend money on a car for the track instead of gas for your daily, is one of my pet peeves.

I agree, I more meant why they use this metric against EVs, and especially Teslas.

This guy depends on Tesla products to earn a living. What is he supposed to say? The Model 3 sucks so go buy a BMW.

And there are a couple tracks in the DFW area where people take their cars to race. These tracks of full of weekend warriors driving BMWs, Ford Mustangs, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: voip-ninja
I bet less than 1% of BMW drivers ever go to a track.

Sure, and the reverse is also true - my Roadster will probably never see a track either, even though I bet it wishes it would.

The reason the comment is relevant, to me at least, is that it reflects on how robust their engineering is. A car that is designed to typical use will likely be less reliable than one you can push hard in a variety of ways without ill effects. I'd much rather have a healthy bit of design margin, and understand it will cost me a bit more, either in terms of money for the car itself, or time to let the engineers work more of their magic.

Sure, and the reverse is also true - my Roadster will probably never see a track either, even though I bet it wishes it would.

The reason the comment is relevant, to me at least, is that it reflects on how robust their engineering is. A car that is designed to typical use will likely be less reliable than one you can push hard in a variety of ways without ill effects. I'd much rather have a healthy bit of design margin, and understand it will cost me a bit more, either in terms of money for the car itself, or time to let the engineers work more of their magic.

With that logic, you should drive both an ICE and EV in an environment devoid of all oxygen and see how they stack up - because, you know, "design margin".

I'd much rather have a healthy bit of design margin, and understand it will cost me a bit more, either in terms of money for the car itself, or time to let the engineers work more of their magic.

Why should everyone have to pay the price of a track ready cooling system, when almost no one would use it. That isn't more robust engineering. It's actually poor engineering when you are trying to hit price targets.

At some point, perhaps they can offer a track cooling package for the few that want to pay the cost. Or someone else will offer extra aftermarket cooling. Saleen "tuned" a Model S, which included beefed up cooling system.

Last edited:
LOL for a car that can't even complete 2 laps on any decent track before the battery pack overheats.....

As a current 3-Series owner (2004 325ci), I can't wait to replace it with a car with that "limitation". I also did a quick compare of my car against a current year 3-Series. The 2016 is a bit faster and a bit more fuel efficient, not much more than that.

I expect that in 10 years a Tesla Model 3 will be much more capable than the first ones (better range, full auto pilot, etc.,...)

Reactions: Red Sage and Jaff
It's a given that ICE is better than EV, for sustained high performance driving.
It's not worth getting upset about.
EV is still great for daily street driving.

Still the best at daily street driving, you mean.

Even my Leaf smokes most BMWs off of stop lights up to legal city speeds (~40mph). Front-loaded acceleration with instant torque is amazing, most gassers need a couple gears before they can catch up even to the slowest of EVs.