Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is charging only at 8 Amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I have a 6-50 outlet and a 40AMP circuit breaker. I used to use a Chargepoint charger for charging my Model 3 and I used to get 32Amps max.

I bought a 6-50 adapter from Tesla today and started using my Mobile Connector, but for some reason my car won’t charge more than 8A. I went into settings to see if I can increase it but 8A is the max.

Weirdly , the letter T on Tesla mobile connector is in red and other letters are in green. I called the service center and they have asked me for times when I charged with 32A so they can compare logs.

Did anyone face the same issue ?

Gee I recall reading your other thread about your charging situation from before getting your car. Hope Tesla after looking at the logs can shed some light. The T and differing colors is strange and I don't recall reading about something like that before. Will follow to see the outcome. Wonder if it could be a problem with the adapter or the UMC (which I have read on here a few people in the past had). I didn’t even know the Tesla mobile connector handle could produce different colors. Love to see a photo of it. BTW what color is the T on the charging port area after you connect? You might try using your 120 adapter that’s in your kit and plugging it into your mobile connector and see what happens using house current.

if you've had notifications for charging set up in your phone app, might be helpful pinpointing those times.

I haven’t needed to use my UMC at home since getting the car since we have had a corded one plugged into our 14-50 recepticle and both of us use that to charge our cars. Thinking maybe I should pull mine out and check it now.

Last edited:
Gee I recall reading your other thread about your charging situation from before getting your car. Hope Tesla after looking at the logs can shed some light. The T and differing colors is strange and I don't recall reading about something like that before. Will follow to see the outcome. Wonder if it could be a problem with the adapter or the UMC (which I have read on here a few people in the past had). I didn’t even know the Tesla mobile connector handle could produce different colors. Love to see a photo of it. BTW what color is the T on the charging port area after you connect? You might try using your 120 adapter that’s in your kit and plugging it into your mobile connector and see what happens using house current.

if you've had notifications for charging set up in your phone app, might be helpful pinpointing those times.

I haven’t needed to use my UMC at home since getting the car since we have had a corded one plugged into our 14-50 recepticle and both of us use that to charge our cars. Thinking maybe I should pull mine out and check it now.
I used regular charging household outlet and 5-15 Tesla adapter. It charges fine at 12A and all letters on mobile connector shows green. So either the 14-50 adapter is faulty or my entire power line is faulty.

Tesla customer care says the red T indicates that mobile connector is not getting enough power. So they asked me to check with my electrician, but I still don’t understand how my previous chargepont gives 32A on same outlet but Tesla is not getting enough power

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Could be you outletnis wired wrong. I had that issue and resolved it myself by pulling out the outlet on the wall and making sure the 4 wires are correct.
I was thinking the same thing, but a 6-50 only has 3 wires. 2 hot and a ground. OP do you have a multimeter and are you comfortable taking a voltage measurement?

Only letter T is in blinking orange. 5 consecutive times blink, Tesla says its indication of low power
What's the color of the Tesla logo on to on the car next to the charge port (not the Mobile Connector)?

This happened to me as well, with the exact same symptions. T flashes 5 times and charging is limited to 8 amps. IIRC the status codes are not the same among all the mobile adapters. A gen 2 flashing 5 times indicates an adapter fault. Once mobile service came out they swapped the mobile adapter and the 6-50 adapter. I have not seen a fault since.

Ah, sounds like the OP probably has a defective MC then. Easy enough to fix.

This happened to me as well, with the exact same symptions. T flashes 5 times and charging is limited to 8 amps. IIRC the status codes are not the same among all the mobile adapters. A gen 2 flashing 5 times indicates an adapter fault. Once mobile service came out they swapped the mobile adapter and the 6-50 adapter. I have not seen a fault since.
Did they swap the 6-50 adapter or mobile connector which has TESLA blinking lights. My connector works fine with 5-15 adapter on a different outlet

Did they swap the 6-50 adapter or mobile connector which has TESLA blinking lights. My connector works fine with 5-15 adapter on a different outlet

They ended up swapping both, but the technician didn't even try to determine which component was at fault. Mine also worked fine when using the 5-15 adapter. I speculate it could be a limp-home function of the adapter where it would allow you to charge <2kW even when some minor fault was detected.

The other day I plugged in my J1772 with Tesla adapter and was limited to 16A charging instead of the usual 32. The alert on the car screen said the connection was poor. I presume that I either did not insert the plug all the way or there was some snow/ice that got in the way. I've changed by charging habits to times when the sun is out and the car is not iced over. Problem has not reappeared.

IIRC the T logo on the port flashed white instead of the usual green.

Hi

I have a 6-50 outlet and a 40AMP circuit breaker. I used to use a Chargepoint charger for charging my Model 3 and I used to get 32Amps max.

I bought a 6-50 adapter from Tesla today and started using my Mobile Connector, but for some reason my car won’t charge more than 8A. I went into settings to see if I can increase it but 8A is the max.

Weirdly , the letter T on Tesla mobile connector is in red and other letters are in green. I called the service center and they have asked me for times when I charged with 32A so they can compare logs.

Did anyone face the same issue ?
Yup and solved. Adapter is slightly out. Reseated the adapter and back to 32 amps.

I suddenly have the same problem. 30A circuit charging fine for 5 months. Took my second long trip yesterday starting with full charge down to 42 miles on rear drive 2021 Model 3. When I plugged in as I have done for the past 5 months, it only charged at 8A saying it would take almost 24 hours for a full charge which in the one other long trip I took it recharged in 7 hours 3 minutes. I reseated all the cables twice with no change in the charging amps...still 8A and the message Wall adapter error....plug adapter....and retry (see attached). Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20211119_102927.jpg
    20211119_102927.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 424
I suddenly have the same problem. 30A circuit charging fine for 5 months. Took my second long trip yesterday starting with full charge down to 42 miles on rear drive 2021 Model 3. When I plugged in as I have done for the past 5 months, it only charged at 8A saying it would take almost 24 hours for a full charge which in the one other long trip I took it recharged in 7 hours 3 minutes. I reseated all the cables twice with no change in the charging amps...still 8A and the message Wall adapter error....plug adapter....and retry (see attached). Thoughts?
Mine started the same today. Any idea?

With the mobile charger, the first step when you see lowered power when it has been working fine is to remove the charger from power and re-seat the adapter itself in the EVSE by removing it completely before inserting it again. That often solves problems as the way it is designed, the weight of the EVSE often tries to pull the connection apart. I suspect it first breaks the connection to the temp sensor which results in the EVSE falling back to the lowest level charge. Try that and see if it helps.

I recently had the same problem of T letter in TESLA on the charger blinking 5 times and charging reduced to 8Amp from a regular 32Amp. After visiting a Tesla service center, we found out that the culprit is a loose connection inside the Tesla connector -- the connector with the TESLA lights actually could be unplugged apart, a small half containing the wall plug and a large half containing the main connector and long cable to the car charging port. There are 6-7 pins insde. When the connection is loose -- likely due to my unplugging/plugging the charger from the wall outlet, a "fault" error is generated and the T letter turns orange and blinks. Simply disconnect and reconnect the internal plug would solve the problem.