Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X Plaid forces the 6 seater, which is a $6500 option on the LR. So true price difference right now is $8500. In October it was $3500

The motors in the LR are essentially slightly worked over model 3 motors. And the Plaid is basically a model 3 motor with a carbon sleeved rotor. The manufacturing costs just aren’t that different.
So you think adding a single seat really costs $6,500 but adding 3 carbon wrapped motors is insignificant? Your comments are just absurd now.

Are you saying 3 motors (with a 3rd inverter) isn't that much more expensive than 2?
If carbon sleeving doesn't really cost anything, why doesn't the LR have it on both motors?
depends on what you mean by “much more expensive”, but I’d say likely under $10k, possibly under $5k.

As for why the LR motors aren’t carbon sleeved - because Tesla doesn’t see the need to. They nickel and dime everything (see removal of passenger lumbar, USS, radar, etc). Doesn’t mean it costs a tremendous amount extra money.

I’m not arguing Tesla will do it. I 100% feel they are too cheap to consider it. But I disagree with the notion that it would offer no performance benefits or be an onerous cost that makes it unfathomable.

So you think adding a single seat really costs $6,500 but adding 3 carbon wrapped motors is insignificant? Your comments are just absurd now.
The “single seat” is replacing the second row bench with captains seats with a greater degree of adjustability and adding a 3rd row bench with additional vent ducting and such.

At the end of the day, the Plaid costs only $8500 more than the LR 6 seat version. And it wasn’t long ago that the price difference was only $3500. I guarantee you Tesla wasn’t taking a loss on the Plaid even when it was only a $3500 premium.

• Disagree
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
depends on what you mean by “much more expensive”, but I’d say likely under $10k, possibly under $5k.
Let me get this straight. You think that adding the 3 Plaid motors and everything else that would have to change in order to accomplish that would cost $5,000 maybe $10,000 max?

That is absurd. For one you are forgetting everything that would have to change in mounting the two rear motors instead of one. You can’t just replace one motor with two that are MUCH more powerful at all rpms.

I don’t even know that two motors would fit back there and keep the backseat and trunk the same. They aren’t exactly small.

Plus those Plaid motors would CERTAINLY overdraw the current 82.1 kWh battery. So an upgraded battery is going to push the cost MUCH higher too.

You have severely underestimated what the changes you are suggesting would cost. There just is no way around that fact.

Let me get this straight. You think that adding the 3 Plaid motors and everything else that would have to change in order to accomplish that would cost $5,000 maybe $10,000 max?

That is absurd. For one you are forgetting everything that would have to change in mounting the two rear motors instead of one. You can’t just replace one motor with two that are MUCH more powerful at all rpms.

I don’t even know that two motors would fit back there and keep the backseat and trunk the same. They aren’t exactly small.

Plus those Plaid motors would CERTAINLY overdraw the current 82.1 kWh battery. So an upgraded battery is going to push the cost MUCH higher too.

You have severely underestimated what the changes you are suggesting would cost. There just is no way around that fact.

Yes, I believe the actual change to the subframe, motor mounts, and the cost of the extra motor itself is likely under $10k over the existing motors. That is based on the existing price difference between the two motor and 3 motor configurations. Unless you think Tesla is losing money on all the Plaids.

Yes, the motors would overdraw the current battery if your desire was to run them all at 100%. But so what? There’s no reason to run them all at 100% simultaneously. Instead use the motors as a means to distribute the available power whereever you want and adjust several times per second. That way you can always max out the available traction. Basically same strategy as the lucid air sapphire (battery only capable of 1200hp, while the motors running at full tilt together would theoretically be capable of 1800hp)

• Funny
Yes, I believe the actual change to the subframe, motor mounts, and the cost of the extra motor itself is likely under $10k over the existing motors. That is based on the existing price difference between the two motor and 3 motor configurations. Unless you think Tesla is losing money on all the Plaids.

Yes, the motors would overdraw the current battery if your desire was to run them all at 100%. But so what? There’s no reason to run them all at 100% simultaneously. Instead use the motors as a means to distribute the available power whereever you want and adjust several times per second. That way you can always max out the available traction. Basically same strategy as the lucid air sapphire (battery only capable of 1200hp, while the motors running at full tilt together would theoretically be capable of 1800hp)
There is a $15k difference between a Model S LR and a Model S Plaid. How do you explain that difference?

It seems like you are saying that you would include 3 Plaid motors and then run them at a greatly reduced power from what they are capable of in the Model S. Why include them at all then. Two motors will accomplish what you want for MUCH less and won’t add unnecessary weight.

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
There is a $15k difference between a Model S LR and a Model S Plaid. How do you explain that difference?
Easy. They charge the premium they feel they can justify. Same way you can explain the M3P costing $78k when it came out when it was literally just an M3LR with better brakes and a firmware upgrade ($24k more than the LR AWD at the time).
It seems like you are saying that you would include 3 Plaid motors and then run them at a greatly reduced power from what they are capable of in the Model S. Why include them at all then. Two motors will accomplish what you want for MUCH less and won’t add unnecessary weight.
I literally explained why several times. It's about maximizing power to the ground by distributing it where there's traction.

Since the Model S LR runs high 10s in the 1/4, if they could put a coupe of similar motors, plus whatever else needs to be changed to get that level of performance, in a Model 3 with little to no weight increase, we'd be looking at mid 10s. I'd be pretty happy with that compared to the current high 11s.

I just want a little more oomph on the highway too. The MSLR blows away the M3P at highway speeds so having that powertrain would be a nice boon.

Since the Model S LR runs high 10s in the 1/4, if they could put a coupe of similar motors, plus whatever else needs to be changed to get that level of performance, in a Model 3 with little to no weight increase, we'd be looking at mid 10s. I'd be pretty happy with that compared to the current high 11s.
The older Model S cars ran mid 10s. If they used the drivetrain of those cars the Model 3 might be low 10s.

For what reason? Do you think they are changing the weight distribution, are trying to increase understeer for "safety", only care about 0-60 times, or just for marketing?
Because they posted 235/35/20 and 275/30/20 in the Highland Model 3 manual originally. I don’t think this was just a careless mistake. This is a screenshot I took when it first came out. They changed it not too long after I posted about it.

IMG_0503.jpeg

They posted this for the LR which is obviously incorrect. However, it wasn’t like they just mistyped a single number. I think they just simply posted the tire size they were planning for the Performance Model for the LR.

If they said 275/35/20 then that would just be a type-O. Instead they selected a very specific tire size that matches the outer diameter of the front tires exactly.

My belief is that the next Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous will be exactly what we have all asked for.

It will have the top end acceleration(~10.5 1/4 mile @ 128-130 mph) without Plaid tri motors. However, it will also have much better handling and braking. It will finally be a more all around sports car straight out of the box.

I think the suspension and brakes will be improved along with the motors. I don’t think the battery will change much if at all. Maybe a slight capacity increase but I don’t think it will surpass 85 kWh.

Because they posted 235/35/20 and 275/30/20 in the Highland Model 3 manual originally. I don’t think this was just a careless mistake. This is a screenshot I took when it first came out. They changed it not too long after I posted about it.

View attachment 1002986

They posted this for the LR which is obviously incorrect. However, it wasn’t like they just mistyped a single number. I think they just simply posted the tire size they were planning for the Performance Model for the LR.

If they said 275/35/20 then that would just be a type-O. Instead they selected a very specific tire size that matches the outer diameter of the front tires exactly.

My belief is that the next Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous will be exactly what we have all asked for.

It will have the top end acceleration(~10.5 1/4 mile @ 128-130 mph) without Plaid tri motors. However, it will also have much better handling and braking. It will finally be a more all around sports car straight out of the box.

I think the suspension and brakes will be improved along with the motors. I don’t think the battery will change much if at all. Maybe a slight capacity increase but I don’t think it will surpass 85 kWh.
M3H LR has either 18’s or 19’s so think you’re correct that the Performance will have 20’s.

FWIW back in the early original-model-3 days Teslas manual said there were staggered 19s too, then pulled that info, and they never existed in production. Might be the same here.

• Informative