Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dirty,

I wouldn't worry about that. Fit and finish on an alpha prototype is always poor. The panels are all basically hand made and not up to any kind of production tolerance.
Remember the first Model S prototypes literally had panels just "stuck on" for the reveal and the engineers had to keep putting them back on straight DURING the reveal.
And the Red M3 proto was a wood framed mockup.

55kw 230m-entry level no options- 35k
70kw 280m-d model will come with this battery std. 42.5k+options
85kw 357m-p model will come with this battery std 52k+options
100kw 400m-l model will come with this battery std. 68k+options
That's my best guess. Using model from other post. At 55mph you get 4.3m/kw. This is assuming that model is accurate.
At 35mph you get 4.8m/kw. At 65mph you get 3.7m/kw and at 75mph you get 3.4m/kw. I used the 55mph for my calculations.
Just guesswork nothing more. I'm probably 100% wrong with this, but I like to give my honest best guess.

70kw 280m-d model will come with this battery std. 42.5k+options
That'd be just about perfect! Do you think there will be any options with free SC for life? Initially I thought there would be, with the recent 400kWh per year announcement I'm not so sure anymore. It's not terribly important to me, but it would certainly sweeten the deal, especially at the $42.5K price point.

That'd be just about perfect! Do you think there will be any options with free SC for life? Initially I thought there would be, with the recent 400kWh per year announcement I'm not so sure anymore. It's not terribly important to me, but it would certainly sweeten the deal, especially at the $42.5K price point.
I was initially curious about a free for life plan but did the math and it'd wouldn't really be cost effective for me based on the amount I travel.

Let's say they kept the old price of $2500 then at 0.12 cents per kWh residential rate that's 20,833 kWh * around 3.5 miles per kWh so I'd have to travel nearly 73,000 (non-local) miles to make up the initial cost. I maybe travel 1400 miles per year max by car so it'd take me 50 years to utilize that.

The 400 kWh per year for free might be perfect for me. Even spending $50 per year to double that range would still be more cost effective (for me).

I was initially curious about a free for life plan but did the math and it'd wouldn't really be cost effective for me based on the amount I travel.

Let's say they kept the old price of $2500 then at 0.12 cents per kWh residential rate that's 20,833 kWh * around 3.5 miles per kWh so I'd have to travel nearly 73,000 (non-local) miles to make up the initial cost. I maybe travel 1400 miles per year max by car so it'd take me 50 years to utilize that.

The 400 kWh per year for free might be perfect for me. Even spending $50 per year to double that range would still be more cost effective (for me).
I agree, I wouldn't buy one separately, but if it's included with a larger battery option (even though the price is probably built in) it would be more attractive.

Reactions: Red Sage
Do you think there will be any options with free SC for life?

Since Tesla no longer offers a "free for life" option on the S and X they will not offer one for the 3.

400 kWh per year should suffice for ~80% of Model 3 buyers.

Tesla needs homeowners in major cities to stop hogging the SCers.

If you live in an apartment then it is fine to charge at SC for your daily commute but you pay as you go. That way Model 3 owners don't overuse the SCers.

Since Tesla no longer offers a "free for life" option on the S and X they will not offer one for the 3.

Technically they still offer "free supercharging for life" with every car. (Free 400kWh/year of supercharging for life.)

They just don't offer free unlimited supercharging for life with every car. But Elon, when talking about the Model 3, did say that it could be purchased as an option or might be included in certain configurations. Like maybe P100Ds will still include free unlimited supercharging.

We just won't know for a little bit longer. (Until they release the details.)

They will no longer offer free for life built into the price of the car. They may well still offer it as an option or as part of an option pack.

They could always change. Elon revises policy every so often.

Latest for S and X is 400 kWh free per year forever if you order after Dec 31, 2016.

But no unlimited free forever.

Doubt they offer free unlimited forever on 3 when they won't on S and X.

I honestly wouldn't mind if the Model 3 doesn't get any free credits in order to continue the SC network expansion, keep the congestion down, and hit the $35k starting price. As long as I have access to use the superchargers and the price to charge is <= gas I'd be fine with it. I still get lower fuel cost for 90% of my driving and I still have road trip capability.

400 kWh per year should suffice for ~80% of Model 3 buyers.

Tesla needs homeowners in major cities to stop hogging the SCers.

If you live in an apartment then it is fine to charge at SC for your daily commute but you pay as you go. That way Model 3 owners don't overuse the SCers.
I disagree.

I disagree.

disagreement_o_756807.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see free unlimited for the higher end models as an incentive. They very well could just eliminate it for the 60 and 75.
I expect that, as some others have noted, the 'FREE (of additional fees) for LIFE (the life of the car)' has been forever separated from the cars themselves as of January 1, 2017. I think that people may have to specifically choose the option as a paid line item going forward, no matter the car they buy from Tesla. Some others think it will be gone entirely in favor of what they call 'Pay Per Use'. We'll know for certain in about three weeks, I guess.