Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've already had a Tesla executive state that the base battery will be less than 60kWh. I think 55kWh is a good guess.

I've done some calculations based on what we believe the size of the Model 3 to be, and the layout of the modules as shown on the video behind Musk during the reveal. I came to the conclusion that the largest possible battery pack size would be 85kWh, with a chance of 90kWh if the new cells have better chemistry than current cells in addition to the volume difference.

We did? I missed that. In any case, my guess is a base battery at 60kwh to match the Bolt, irrespective of what said exec might have said previously. Lots of people say lots of things, partially to throw off the competition. And I also think we're going to see a large battery in the 85 kwh range. That should give the car range comparable to the S-100D.

You have to bear in mind that the Model 3 is NOT an econobox; it's a mid-size premium sedan. Yes there will be a $35,000 car - that almost nobody will buy. Most of the cars will sell in the 50-60 range, and a fully optioned PXXD will likely run near $80K. So it's not going to serve Tesla well to skimp on the battery.

We've already had a Tesla executive state that the base battery will be less than 60kWh.
That's true. But that was some time ago now, and it was before GM reviled the EPA range of the Bolt. So they may have changed their mind since then... But I agree then 55kWh is a good guess on the base battery, but they may have decided to up it to 60 to match the Bolt range.

... and one thing we do not know, was he talking about less then 60kWh usable capacity, or was it the total capacity? Eg, could it be 63kWh total, with 59kWh usable?

Reactions: Red Sage
That's true. But that was some time ago now, and it was before GM reviled the EPA range of the Bolt. So they may have changed their mind since then... But I agree then 55kWh is a good guess on the base battery, but they may have decided to up it to 60 to match the Bolt range.

... and one thing we do not know, was he talking about less then 60kWh usable capacity, or was it the total capacity? Eg, could it be 63kWh total, with 59kWh usable?

Yea.....If they can't beat the Bolt with a 55kWh battery, the base will have a 60, simple as that.

I predicted the Model S 60 would go away three years ago. It did, about two years ago when the Model S 70D arrived. I was then surprised when a rear wheel drive Model S 70 was added to the roster, and again when the Model S 75 D came along, and once again when the Model S 60 came back again with a limited battery pack. I agree this was all done to find a sweet spot in overall range that would drive sales without sending people to only the highest capacity battery pack by default. Because I think that both Elon Musk and JB Straubel want Tesla's Customers to get used to the notion of having 'enough' range instead of always bugging them about a '500
mile battery' all the time. They have already told us the 'sweet spot' on maximum range they are shooting for is somewhere between 250 and 350 miles. They have now reached that sweet spot with Model S 100D and Model S P100D. I expect to see similar ranges achieved with Model 3. Thus, I disagree with the well measured and considered opinions of those who insist the Model 3 will not achieve Performance or Range results to surpass Model S for 'marketing reasons'.

Reactions: Trev Page
(Moved from the 2017 Investor Roundtable Discussion thread, where it was rather off topic)

So there's been some discussion (confusion?) from several folks regarding what the new 2170 cells bode in terms of additional capacity within the Model 3 pack footprint. Specifically, @CanadaEV stated:

CandaEV said:
I did see Buzz's post. I also saw the same calculations/assumptions other places. He, and others, have stated, 'The increase in diameter will be exactly offset by the reduced number of cells that fit in that area.'

I'm not sure who first put that idea out there, but it seems to suggest that there is no gain in energy density because the increased cell dimensions of the 2170 mean fewer cells, exactly cancelling out its increase in energy. It's an idea that has been repeated, apparently on the assumption it has merit.

Well, this is extremely unlikely to be the case. The 2170 has 47% greater volume, and between 30% and 50% greater energy density, depending on your source. Back in 2016, JB Straubel predicted 30% increase in energy density, so let's go with that, although it could well be higher now. Therefore the 2170 delivers a compounded (1.3 X 1.47) = 1.91 greater energy per cell when you consider both added volume and better chemistry.

Yes, there may be fewer cells, but not 91% fewer 2170 cells. The problem is that Buzz's assertion equates the increase in the area of the of the 2170 in the pack footprint with the increase in volume. He doesn't realize that volume increases as a cube whereas area increases as a square. Additionally, 2170 cells are 7.6% higher.

If you look at the actual cell positioning in a pack, they are not touching. They have cooling space between them. It is unknown how much that space would need to be increased, if at all.

It is doubtful you will need to reduce the number of 2170 cells in this pictured module by 91%. The actual area increase of the diameter of the 2170 compared to the 18650 is 36%. It is unlikely the number of cells would be reduced by that percentage. Even if it were the case, the increase in energy per area footprint would still be over 50%.

Let's settle this "area occupied by varying circles" confusion.

Here's a model approximating the 444 cells of a Tesla module. I made it 14 rows in one axis as a constant (as per the pic above). The module doesn't have a constant number of cells in the other axis in the pic, so I made the containing rectangle bounds such that they would hold the number of cells closest to the 444 count.

This results in a rectangle 243mm X 533mm that can hold 442 cells 18mm in diameter in a staggered pattern:

rec_18-png.219143

That same rectangle can hold 319 cells 21mm in diamter:

rec_21-png.219144

The total circular area of a 21mm cell is 1.36x more that of an 18mm cell.

The total # of 21mm cells that fit in the same module is 1.38x less than that for 18mm cells. Essentially the same relative percentage.

The total area represented by 442 of the 18mm cells: 112,418 mm^2
The total area represented by 319 of the 21mm cells: 110,433 mm^2

The difference is less than 1.8%. Again, essentially the same total area. The larger cells actually represent the slightly lesser volume... but by the time you figure the amount of casing material as opposed to actual cell chemistry, overhead for cooling, other pack logistics, etc... it ends up a wash.

So the ONLY real volumetric difference for the new cells within a given pack footprint is the ~7.6% due to height. Any other gains with that same size pack will be due to cell-level energy density gains, or pack layout changes (which has already happened once with the 90 & 100 packs... but the above relative calculations hold for the same overall area occupied within the pack)

Reactions: WarpedOne
That's more than 500USD/kWh, which is outrageous, compared to 150-190USD cost per kWh that's quoted often as today's reality.

That's not outrageous, a business stays in business by marking up the extras more than the base.

As an example, I had lunch out yesterday and paid about $7 for the food (the base) and $2 for a 16 oz soda(the extra - I could have stuck with the base and just drank water). At Sam's Club a 5 gallon box of Coca Cola syrup goes for $82. The 5 gallon box makes 30 gallons. 128 oz per gallon, so 3,840 oz or 240 drinks per $82 box. So cost per drink $0.34, profit per drink $1.66. And I'm sure the restaurant paid less than the Sam's Club price, so their actual profit would be even more.

The total circular area of a 21mm cell is 1.36x more that of an 18mm cell.

The total # of 21mm cells that fit in the same module is 1.38x less than that for 18mm cells. Essentially the same relative percentage.

The total area represented by 442 of the 18mm cells: 112,418 mm^2
The total area represented by 319 of the 21mm cells: 110,433 mm^2

The difference is less than 1.8%. Again, essentially the same total area. The larger cells actually represent the slightly lesser volume... but by the time you figure the amount of casing material as opposed to actual cell chemistry, overhead for cooling, other pack logistics, etc... it ends up a wash.

So the ONLY real volumetric difference for the new cells within a given pack footprint is the ~7.6% due to height. Any other gains with that same size pack will be due to cell-level energy density gains, or pack layout changes (which has already happened once with the 90 & 100 packs... but the above relative calculations hold for the same overall area occupied within the pack)

So... I really think we're underestimating the size of the packs that will be available.

Further to discussion above, the relative dimensions of the Model 3 and Model S are:

Model S (l * w): 4976 mm x 1964 mm
Model 3 (l * w): 4676 mm x 1885 mm (6% less on length, 4% less on width - and about 10% less overall area)

Assuming that the area available for battery reduced proportionately to the area of the car, then the battery could have about 10% less capacity than the S - with the current cells. But once you figure in the added 7% height of the 2170 cell, and a minor chemistry bump, you could be looking at battery capacity not too far away from what is available in the S. I do expect that they will reduce it somewhat, so as to bring down the weight of the car.

I stand firm in my prediction that the small pack will be no less than 60 and the large pack will be no less than 85. And it could potentially be larger. And those numbers will give ranges similar to the S75D and S100D.

So... I really think we're underestimating the size of the packs that will be available.

Further to discussion above, the relative dimensions of the Model 3 and Model S are:

Model S (l * w): 4976 mm x 1964 mm
Model 3 (l * w): 4676 mm x 1885 mm (6% less on length, 4% less on width - and about 10% less overall area)

Assuming that the area available for battery reduced proportionately to the area of the car, then the battery could have about 10% less capacity than the S - with the current cells. But once you figure in the added 7% height of the 2170 cell, and a minor chemistry bump, you could be looking at battery capacity not too far away from what is available in the S. I do expect that they will reduce it somewhat, so as to bring down the weight of the car.

I stand firm in my prediction that the small pack will be no less than 60 and the large pack will be no less than 85. And it could potentially be larger. And those numbers will give ranges similar to the S75D and S100D.

We at least know that Elon has stated that 100KWh isn't possible within the Model 3 footprint, so that is indeed the upper bound.

Interestingly, if the assumed "30% better energy density than original Model S cells" , along with the additional 7.6% volume increase due to height for 2170 cells are both true, then I suspect your pack volume estimates would be off.

If the pack was only 10 % smaller in footprint, those other factors held true, then Elon's statement that 100kWh wouldn't be possible would likely not be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Topher
We also know that Tesla has said the smallest pack would be under 60kWh. Of course they could change that, but I'm guessing they felt confident in getting enough range out of a sub 60 pack.

I can't remember though....was that said before or after GM announced the Bolt's range? If they said it before, and then realized they couldn't top 240 miles EPA with a 55 kWh pack, expect the base model to come with a 60....and as long as the price remains $35,000, no one would have much of a problem with that "promise" of a < 60 kWh pack being walked back.

Yea.....If they can't beat the Bolt with a 55kWh battery, the base will have a 60, simple as that.
I can't remember though....was that said before or after GM announced the Bolt's range? If they said it before, and then realized they couldn't top 240 miles EPA with a 55 kWh pack, expect the base model to come with a 60....and as long as the price remains $35,000, no one would have much of a problem with that "promise" of a < 60 kWh pack being walked back.
What difference does it matter if it has a 55kWh battery and a range of 220 miles? If people don't like it, they can go buy something else. ;)

We also know that Tesla has said the smallest pack would be under 60kWh. Of course they could change that, but I'm guessing they felt confident in getting enough range out of a sub 60 pack.

I think there is no information in Tesla's statement. I think they were deliberately setting low expectations, and that's exactly what they should have been doing. Nobody's unhappy when the final product exceeds the expectations.

They don't want the noise from GM (or the anti-Tesla contingent) to be that Tesla can't build a 35K car with the Bolt's battery capacity. This would put Tesla on the defensive, having to explain "yes, but it's more efficient and goes further". With every explanation/justification you lose some people - who either don't understand or don't think too hard about it. If they go with a 60, there's no crack for Tesla's opponents to drive a wedge into.

I stand by my prediction: 60/85.

Last edited:
What difference does it matter if it has a 55kWh battery and a range of 220 miles? If people don't like it, they can go buy something else. ;)

because we're talking about Elon's ego in this scenario, and not what the consumers want. I'm sure everyone who is waiting for a base model would be happy with "at least 215"....but you know Elon's not going to let a "compliance car" beat him.

Reactions: CCWgr and WarpedOne
I will just leave this right here for you...

Rec_18.gif

I am by no means a mathematician but it seems to me to pretty clear that the internal volume of the 2170 cells is greater. I think all the examples I have seen are calculated base on OD and not ID to measure the increase or decrease in volume. Is it safe to assume that the casing of the 2170 will be the same thickness and made of the same material as the 18650 cells? Also looking at it this way, it appears that there is slightly more room between each of the larger cells, but the total space, when comparing 319 vs 442 cells should be about the same. In the 18650 pack, are all the spaces between the cells used for cooling/heating pipes?

Also, the increase in volume of the internals of the battery are important for more energy, but more efficiency could come from a more simplistic pack and the internal materials are probably much lighter then the casing, so less casing, less wiring, less cooling pipes, less connectors are lead to a lighter pack.

Ponder this if you will. PW1 compared to PW2. PW2 is 2x the KWh, though the PW2 is only slightly larger and heavier. I know the chemistry's are different, but they both share the same cell size and the requirement for cooling/heating and wiring.

Reactions: Red Sage

Yes, the "less than 60 kWh" statement was made last April, which was after the Bolt's 60 kWh pack was announced in January, but before the Bolt's official EPA range was announced in September.

As we've seen before with Tesla (and now with GM and the Bolt), nominal pack sizes are often "calculated" using fuzzy math, and represent neither the usable nor buffered capacity of the pack, just because multiples of 5 are friendlier to deal with. That leaves EPA range as the more relevant common measuring stick. So, in that sense, regardless of nominal pack size, it will be interesting to see which Tesla prioritizes for the base Model 3: matching the Bolt's range (at the expense of ~$500-800 in margin per car), or pocketing that extra margin.

Two Elon quotes from the initial reveal that I'll cherry-pick to reflect which way I hope they're leaning: :)
  • "I want to emphasize that these are minimum [EPA range and 0-to-60] numbers. We hope to exceed them."
  • "You will not be able to buy a better car for $35,000 or even close, even if you get no options."

I am by no means a mathematician but it seems to me to pretty clear that the internal volume of the 2170 cells is greater. I think all the examples I have seen are calculated base on OD and not ID to measure the increase or decrease in volume. Is it safe to assume that the casing of the 2170 will be the same thickness and made of the same material as the 18650 cells? Also looking at it this way, it appears that there is slightly more room between each of the larger cells, but the total space, when comparing 319 vs 442 cells should be about the same. In the 18650 pack, are all the spaces between the cells used for cooling/heating pipes?

As I had noted previously:

scaesare said:
The larger cells actually represent the slightly lesser volume... but by the time you figure the amount of casing material as opposed to actual cell chemistry, overhead for cooling, other pack logistics, etc... it ends up a wash.