Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini-saga of finding an electrician

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tl;dr: Shop around. Avoid getting ripped off.

I wanted a Tesla Wall Connector in my garage with a new circuit from the panel in the basement, which is on the opposite end of the house from the garage. I turned to the Tesla list of local electricians.

The first one I contacted on the phone seemed knowledgeable and willing to do the work, but was very slow to respond to follow-ups to provide an estimate so I scratched him off the list.

Next I tried a large local company on Tesla's list. They sent 2 people out a few days later and wanted to follow a convoluted path that made the run 2 or 3 times longer than going straight across the (mostly unfinished) basement and told me that I had to have a GFCI breaker even though the Wall Connector has built-in GFCI. Then he said it would cost $3516 and I should also add whole-house surge protection for another $900. I told him I would get more bids, which took him aback as they were ready to do the work right then.

I then contacted the city electrical inspection office and asked about GFCI requirements and wiring code for 50A vs. 60A so that I would have some basic info. I should have done that before contacting any electricians.

I ended up finding an electrician who is not on the Tesla list but has installed many Tesla Wall Connectors. He was straight-forward and didn't try to BS me. He recommended the shortest path between the panel and garage and did an excellent job. Total cost was $1550. City inspector was out a few days later and said "Great job". The inspector had 3 more home charger inspections after mine that day.

Now I just need a car to plug it into. (soon...very soon)