Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Atlantic Reus Audio Upgrade Group Buy (Nov/Dec 2014)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
I posted the links in my prior message regarding some 2010 incidents involving Reus because i had not seen any response from the company regarding the incidents and i felt that the links contained information that any reasonably prudent buyer would consider before making a purchase. No animus was intended and, of course, i have no personal knowledge about the accuracy of the events ...

No problem, you did a lot more research than I did, that's all. I first heard of them through happy references, so I didn't think of it.
Hope to see you on the 20th, should be fun, and also a chance to check them out for yourself.

Any idea where on the East coast they will be coming to, or are they traveling to multiple places? I might be interested.

DrSmitty, I sent you a PM, but since you're in Chesapeake, you're literally a 10 minute drive from me. There's a good chance he'll come through this area and do the install right in your driveway.

As for the other concerns about a "scam", I've heard nothing but good things about this upgrade from Tesla owners, and have talked extensively to several people at Reus. They were both knowledgeable, polite, and since you don't pay anything until they install, the risk is low in my eyes.

My guess is the installer will start up in the MD/DC area, swing down through the central VA area, then down to the Norfolk/VA Beach area. Possibly further into NC if we get takers from there. But to answer the questions, he typically does a "tour" to do the installs, driving a rental car from place to place. I believe they have the equipment shipped to the install location.

That's why we want to build up a decent list of people for the install--to help defray travel costs.

I replied in the SE post, and am interested. From the Raleigh-Durham area of NC. We have a building with extra garage bays if he needs an enclosed place to work and have lots of room to spread out. Folks in this area could bring their cars to the shop so he could work through the vehicles in one spot.
Alternately, I could head up to VA if folks had a spot to have the MS worked on.

I replied in the SE post, and am interested. From the Raleigh-Durham area of NC. We have a building with extra garage bays if he needs an enclosed place to work and have lots of room to spread out. Folks in this area could bring their cars to the shop so he could work through the vehicles in one spot.
Alternately, I could head up to VA if folks had a spot to have the MS worked on.

Cliff is going to be at our get together on 9/20. I bet he would do the install there.

This particular thread is for an east coast visit in Nov or Dec. (I won't get my car until October). If you want to do it with the September group, maybe you can get in there. Otherwise, we'll be happy to have you in the Nov/Dec group. The more the merrier!

I can't recommend the Reus system more highly. I had the stage 3 system installed about a year ago. At the time when Cliff did the installation he told me I'be entitled to forthcoming upgrades at no charge. A few weeks ago when he was on his East Coast installation swing he came to my office parking garage to do the latest upgrade. He spent about two hours on the upgrade.

The results were astounding -- the upgrade took an excellent system to an even higher level. In fact, it was like he installed a whole new system. Everything about the system is better. The sound stage is improved, the bass crisper and with an even wider range, and the highs more clear and crisp. Every bit of music I play sounds noticeably better.

SUPRKAR also had the upgrade done to his system. He and I talked a few days ago and he agrees that it's like having a whole new system. I'm not quite sure what Cliff actually did to the system but in my book it was magic.

Being devoted to classical music, the real test of any system for me is the sustained double low C on the double basses, contrabassoon and pipe organ in the "Sunrise" opening to Richard Strauss's Thus Spoke Zarathustra (made famous as the theme for Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey). Most systems cannot produce that sound at all -- let alone well. Before the upgrade, even the Reus system produced an anemic double low C. With the upgrade the sound is incredible -- the whole car shakes and the bass is quite clear, not to say the many rich sounds in this great tone poem.

On the flip side, tracks of Junior Wells, another favorite of mine, are have now gone from merely great to incredible. As he wails along it sounds like his harmonica is in the car with you.

I couldn't be happier with the system and the great service provided by Reus and Cliff Johnson.

I'm definitely interested but i don't see any information on Reus' Web site describing the different "stage" systems that they offer or pricing. Does anyone know where such information can be found.

I wan't able to find details about this myself. I did a search for Stage Two Reus on TMC but it lacked specifics about what each stage includes. All I know that each stage costs more and that 3 is top of the line. I think stage 3 provides another sub in addition to the stock Tesla sub and includes a bass control on the side of the driver's seat, which I've found comes in quite handy. I'm going to ask Cliff for specifics and post them if and when he provides them.

I wan't able to find details about this myself. I did a search for Stage Two Reus on TMC but it lacked specifics about what each stage includes. All I know that each stage costs more and that 3 is top of the line. I think stage 3 provides another sub in addition to the stock Tesla sub and includes a bass control on the side of the driver's seat, which I've found comes in quite handy. I'm going to ask Cliff for specifics and post them if and when he provides them.

Thanks Rick. By the way, nice chatting with you (again) and getting a tour of your car at the Bethesda event. In my short conversation with Cliff at that event, he told me that Stage 2 also has the bass control on the side of the seat. I asked him for his recommendation and he said that Stage 2 seemed to have the best bang for the buck. Or at least that's what i thought he said.

Thanks Rick. By the way, nice chatting with you (again) and getting a tour of your car at the Bethesda event. In my short conversation with Cliff at that event, he told me that Stage 2 also has the bass control on the side of the seat. I asked him for his recommendation and he said that Stage 2 seemed to have the best bang for the buck. Or at least that's what i thought he said.

it was good to talk at Bethesda. Haven't heard from Cliff yet but I'm really eager to get the facts. Perhaps Stage 3 is what he did to my and SUPRKAR's car before Bethesday.

Here's Reus's Confidential Price List, which includes the packages they offered. This is from July 2014--not sure if anything has changed. Since the pricing is on a list marked confidential, I have blacked out the actual prices:

TeslaReusPackages.png

It occurred to me just now that I believe many of these packages install a center tweeter near the rear view mirror. For those who will have the Driving Assist features (ACC/Lane Assist/Speed Limit Detection), it might involve a change to Reus's design. I will need to ask about that.

Hi all,

I've sent PMs to those that appear to still be interested. I mentioned to Cliff that, if there are those taking delivery of early P85Ds that are still interested, we *may* push back to the Jan/Feb timeframe so they can catch Cliff when he's in town. But if those getting early P85Ds decide to hold off for now, we may still do Nov/Dec.

Anyway, if you didn't get a PM from me, and you are still definitely interested for sometime in the Nov-Feb timeframe, please let me know. Thanks!

Don't plan around me. While unlikely, Tesla may have made some changes to the audio system when they upgraded the rest of the hardware. I'm going to hold off for now until I can evaluate the audio in the new car. I may also be a bit car poor after this bath :(

Todd;

We are considering this upgrade for our MS. Just got off the phone with Cliff at Reus and he is sending me an updated quote. We will need a few days to consider this before making a final decision. Nov/Dec works for us but we are also OK after the first of the year (to accommodate those who are getting P85D) with some constraints.