Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orella Acoustics Subwoofer upgrade? .... NVX, HEPAKING,HANSSHOW, Light Harmonic.. what's your "TRUE" experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting to take delivery of my new MYP. I have a delivery date of march 8- march 31st. im not gonna say im a bass head but I do love to feel the music. I like that kick to the back/chest. I will more than likely want to throw a box with two 12's into my trunk and sacrifice space.

This model y however, im thinking of just upgrading the factory sub and try to keep space being used or taken up very minimal.

I came across the nvx upgrade that fills in the right quaterpanel area of the trunk but I rather it be a sleeper build if the model Y already has a bass box, why not utilize it.

I seen the quality of the factory sub and it has no real driver and the cone looks cheap, I understand the system was engineered by a high end audio expert but im not buying it with the size of the speakers.

Which leads me to why I am here I am also investigating the company Orella Acoustics that has a plug and play setup to grab the signal from the factory amp, add a dedicated amp and subwoofer with a rating of 300RMS. This sub according to the company is tuned perfectly to get the most out of that enclosure. again still need some real world experience as $800 isn't a drop in the bucket when your paying for an amp and a sub. I can build setups far cheaper but with building a separate enclosure. and id like to utilize the bass box that's included in the MODEL Y.

The kit can be found here

Now this all looks great on paper but the company is new and I have yet to see or hear any real world implementation to see how different it sounds/feels. if anyone has any insight on this setup and has bought the kit id like to hear your thoughts please.

another option I found was from a company called hepaking where it seems they buy alpine speakers directly and make them plug and play but installing a factory harness for connections as seen here. ( only downright is I don't think there is much gain as its still using the factory amp, which seems underpowered)

my goal is to get my audio dilemma sorted out before delivery so any help would be great

Also I'll add I seen in some forums of users just swapping the factory sub and then adding an amp but with no real specs on the enclosure how can we guarantee we are meeting the displacement requirements. I seen a Kicker Comp RT sub and I seen another user throw in the alpine W8 in place of the factory Subwoofer.

if you have pulled the ported model y sub box out and calculated the displacement that would def let me know what option to go with.

I just did a complete upgrade in my Model X replaced stock 8" sub with a Fosgate p3 10". I also added a set of Hertz pro 3 ways components in the front and a Fosgate power series 2 way components in the rear doors. All powered by a Fosgate t1000x5ab amp 5 channel. After a few weeks of working on the weekends I am completed. I am super happy with the outcome. The box in the model X was .88 cubic foot. This hits the lows super nice. Makes the steering wheel shakes when the low end hits. Very surprising from a 10" subwoofer. The Model X has the sub in the rear facing downward in the rear quarter panel it acts like a 6th order box the way it is loaded. All hidden Car looks 100% factory. I had the premium audio in the car before the upgrade.

Great question but will be hard to get a real answer as most people have probably had experience with only 1 of the many mentioned options. It's easy for those users to say whether they like their new sub system but sometimes there is a temptation to say whatever they those is best without an actual back-to-back comparison.

The other thing to consider in making a choice is post sales service. Always easier to deal with a company on this continent rather than overseas especially if you need to ship a defective item back on your own dime. Ask me how I know...lol. Orella is a very new company so I don't know much about them but appears they are at least local. I have talked to NVX and have a good impression of them - they were responsive to emails and seem very helpful.

I had the NVX subwoofer upgrade with STEG speakers all around. The STEG speakers didn't look like much of an upgade, but the clarity & volume is up there. Had to lower the EQ on the high frequencies. The 8" door speakers is the most noticeable improvement.

Then I added the NVX system with a bigger amp. Instead of the recommended amp i got the NVX XAD12. This system was bumpin'. It's amazing how good a 10" in a small sealed enclosure can sound. I had a 15" L7, 12" Infinity Perfect, & many JL's in previous cars. This is the 1st 10 I ever had & it sounded great inside this car. A couple days later the dreaded 12V errors came.....aaaarrrggghhh. Did all the resets including the main one with the battery & underseat connector. Obviously nothing is wrong with the 12V battery, i tested it well over 12 volts. I continued to leave the system connected, then my updates kept failing....arrrgghhh. Brought it in to Tesla.

Tesla has a large service center in Seattle. Car was in there for a week, they said they needed to order parts. When i got the invoice it did not say anything about new parts being installed, just remote diagnostics & aftermarket accessories causing firmware update failures. All was covered under warranty so I left.

Now the dilemna, there was no way i can go back to stock, but i need firmware updates. I decided to hook a toggle switch to the system. Once im driving I'll turn the amp on with the switch, before I'm about to park, I'll switch it off. Perfect, but way too much of a hassle for great 10" bass.

So I upgraded everything. The XLCA2 was replaced with an Audio Control Micro Epicenter, amp was replaced with Audio Control LC.800, & subwoofer was replaced with a Jl 12W6 v3 in a ported box tuned to 33 hz that fits perfectly against the backseat. This was more my style. Car shaking, deep, clean bass. I'm in my 40's, I thought I had grown up from big sound but nope, once you start it's not enough until it gets to where you love it at.

The NVX system blew my expectations. It's a great system. It hits hard & deep. At the end of the day, for me, if Tesla won't allow me to just plug&play, I'll just go all out. If i didnt get those stupid errors & my car would update I would have stuck with NVX.

If anyone wants to buy my NVX enclosure with the sub PM me. I am in the Seattle area.

• Informative
Reactions: Kwame
Ive installed Light Harmonic (and Im installing their V3 set in my wifes 21 MYLR this weekend) as well as Hepa Kings Alpine speakers and Orella Acousitcs sub and dedicated amp. The Orella Acoustic sub and amp is by far better in my opinion, but I do like the Hepa King door speakers, mids, and tweeters with it. Soon as I throw the new Light Harmonics in the wifes vehicles, Ill update as well!

Heres my install of the Orella acoustic sub and amp!

I bought the LH 11-speaker upgrade kit... definitely brings out the highs a lot more. I need to do some EQ tuning, but so far pleased with the results. I will say, probably not enough bass from the sub in the kit, but again, I haven't really done any EQ tuning yet. I just installed everything last weekend, along with installing a bunch of other parts, so, hopefully I'll get to EQ tuning this weekend.

Ive installed Light Harmonic (and Im installing their V3 set in my wifes 21 MYLR this weekend) as well as Hepa Kings Alpine speakers and Orella Acousitcs sub and dedicated amp. The Orella Acoustic sub and amp is by far better in my opinion, but I do like the Hepa King door speakers, mids, and tweeters with it. Soon as I throw the new Light Harmonics in the wifes vehicles, Ill update as well!

I like how you mixed the HepaKing system with the Orella sub package. The Orella sub package utilizes what looks like a Hertz dual voice coil sub, that's a match for the factory dual voice coil setup. How would you quantify the improvement in the low bass? That sub amp has to help a lot.

Do you know what door speakers Orella uses? They don't list it on the website nor do they list any specs.

The Hepa King Alpine DP635 speakers are not sold in the United States. They're only available overseas. I emailed them because they look awfully similar to the Alpine HDZ series sold in the US, but Frank Lee replied that it's not the same line since the HDZ series is Alpine's top of the line. Nevertheless the two lines appear to share the same technology such as the carbon fiber cones, magnesium tweeters, and HAMR surround. How much of an improvement is there over the stock speakers?

Unfortunately Hepa King is out of stock on the Alpine door speakers right now.

I bought the LH 11-speaker upgrade kit... definitely brings out the highs a lot more. I need to do some EQ tuning, but so far pleased with the results. I will say, probably not enough bass from the sub in the kit, but again, I haven't really done any EQ tuning yet. I just installed everything last weekend, along with installing a bunch of other parts, so, hopefully I'll get to EQ tuning this weekend.

Did you install the two mid ranges in the rear trunk lid? If so is there an instruction or video for it? I wonder why they designed it to be used in the trunk lid vs rear doors, IIRC they are both plastic welded in place.

Did you install the two mid ranges in the rear trunk lid? If so is there an instruction or video for it? I wonder why they designed it to be used in the trunk lid vs rear doors, IIRC they are both plastic welded in place.

My guess is because the two in the trunk were easier than the ones in the rear doors, due to the ones in the rear doors being welded in, the two in the trunk are just screwed in.

From what I remember, I just popped off the trim, the top part of the trim had to be popped off before the lower portion (where the speakers are). I just sat inside the trunk with everything hanging down and you have to unscrew the speakers from the back side (i.e. not the side facing you), believe it was a T20 (don't quote me on that, maybe a T15), once you get the trim off, it's just awkwardly unscrewing them, lol.

Reactions: hmmwv
My guess is because the two in the trunk were easier than the ones in the rear doors, due to the ones in the rear doors being welded in, the two in the trunk are just screwed in.

From what I remember, I just popped off the trim, the top part of the trim had to be popped off before the lower portion (where the speakers are). I just sat inside the trunk with everything hanging down and you have to unscrew the speakers from the back side (i.e. not the side facing you), believe it was a T20 (don't quote me on that, maybe a T15), once you get the trim off, it's just awkwardly unscrewing them, lol.
Thanks a lot, got this done and it's a little scary as the whole panel kinda falls down on you, the screws are behind the grille so you'll have to remove the mesh grille first, but otherwise not terribly difficult. Now the subwoofer will be a challenger since I have a 7 seater so access will be different.

If anyone is interested, I have a set of the new set of the Light Harmonic Generation 2 Plug & Play Replacement Speakers for sale. Ended up not installing them. Link below for more info if interested.

The hepa king alpine system is nuts. I just installed it and the clarity with the sub changes the car drastically. Pictures below of the speaker comparison.
IMG_8186.jpeg
IMG_8187.jpeg

IMG_8188.jpeg

Still waiting to take delivery of my new MYP. I have a delivery date of march 8- march 31st. im not gonna say im a bass head but I do love to feel the music. I like that kick to the back/chest. I will more than likely want to throw a box with two 12's into my trunk and sacrifice space.

This model y however, im thinking of just upgrading the factory sub and try to keep space being used or taken up very minimal.

I came across the nvx upgrade that fills in the right quaterpanel area of the trunk but I rather it be a sleeper build if the model Y already has a bass box, why not utilize it.

I seen the quality of the factory sub and it has no real driver and the cone looks cheap, I understand the system was engineered by a high end audio expert but im not buying it with the size of the speakers.

Which leads me to why I am here I am also investigating the company Orella Acoustics that has a plug and play setup to grab the signal from the factory amp, add a dedicated amp and subwoofer with a rating of 300RMS. This sub according to the company is tuned perfectly to get the most out of that enclosure. again still need some real world experience as $800 isn't a drop in the bucket when your paying for an amp and a sub. I can build setups far cheaper but with building a separate enclosure. and id like to utilize the bass box that's included in the MODEL Y.

Now this all looks great on paper but the company is new and I have yet to see or hear any real world implementation to see how different it sounds/feels. if anyone has any insight on this setup and has bought the kit id like to hear your thoughts please.

another option I found was from a company called hepaking where it seems they buy alpine speakers directly and make them plug and play but installing a factory harness for connections as seen here. ( only downright is I don't think there is much gain as its still using the factory amp, which seems underpowered)

my goal is to get my audio dilemma sorted out before delivery so any help would be great

Also I'll add I seen in some forums of users just swapping the factory sub and then adding an amp but with no real specs on the enclosure how can we guarantee we are meeting the displacement requirements. I seen a Kicker Comp RT sub and I seen another user throw in the alpine W8 in place of the factory Subwoofer.

if you have pulled the ported model y sub box out and calculated the displacement that would def let me know what option to go with.
At the beginning I added a Amp with kickers 8” subwoofer replaced the original one on the original enclosure. This give u significant improvement . However, U will required an additional 12” subwoofer to allow the bass go deeper. U didn’t required a high power amplifier, around 300W-400W should be more than sufficient.

Attachments

• 5be87f88-5a70-4635-af1c-b24ffe7ae421.jpeg
    5be87f88-5a70-4635-af1c-b24ffe7ae421.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Most automakers, including Tesla, have obscenely low costs and weight limitations on these spec systems. An aftermarket shop would laugh at such limitations.

With that said, Didn't Tesla stop using the center speaker in the dash? The Alpine Hepaking sounds intriguing, but I keep wandering for a little bit more for labor would an Hertz system installed at a shop sound better?

I like how you mixed the HepaKing system with the Orella sub package. The Orella sub package utilizes what looks like a Hertz dual voice coil sub, that's a match for the factory dual voice coil setup. How would you quantify the improvement in the low bass? That sub amp has to help a lot.

Do you know what door speakers Orella uses? They don't list it on the website nor do they list any specs.

The Hepa King Alpine DP635 speakers are not sold in the United States. They're only available overseas. I emailed them because they look awfully similar to the Alpine HDZ series sold in the US, but Frank Lee replied that it's not the same line since the HDZ series is Alpine's top of the line. Nevertheless the two lines appear to share the same technology such as the carbon fiber cones, magnesium tweeters, and HAMR surround. How much of an improvement is there over the stock speakers?

Unfortunately Hepa King is out of stock on the Alpine door speakers right now.
Would like to know the answer to your questions too.

Have you listened to the speaker set sold by Orella? Better or worse than the Hepa King Alpine set? Highly considering their sub + amp, but I can’t find anything on how their speakers perform. Thank you!

Have you listened to the speaker set sold by Orella? Better or worse than the Hepa King Alpine set? Highly considering their sub + amp, but I can’t find anything on how their speakers perform. Thank you!

I have not. With that being said, Ive been running the Orella sub package with the Hepa King Alpine doors and front dash speakers and my system is spot on. Cant complain at all over here. Bass is perfect for all genres and highs are legit.