Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how much of the characteristics of the handling would change if you use the PSS in the front and the PS2's in the rear (Performance plus staggered rims).....

Don't know if maybe you meant to quote someone else, since PSS aren't available in my 245/45R19 sizing in the front either. The 19"s have the same sizing all around.

To answer your question, though, it's generally not advisable to run different tires on different corners. If the difference in grip is as large as some people claim, you'll be increasing the likelihood of oversteer and the handling will be less predictable. Both probably bad on a daily driver.

Don't know if maybe you meant to quote someone else, since PSS aren't available in my 245/45R19 sizing in the front either. The 19"s have the same sizing all around.

To answer your question, though, it's generally not advisable to run different tires on different corners. If the difference in grip is as large as some people claim, you'll be increasing the likelihood of oversteer and the handling will be less predictable. Both probably bad on a daily driver.
^^^ This.

Michelin states rim width range is between 8" and 9.5". Price at the moment is $ 299 each (plus shipping, subject to change, etc)

Michelin is offering a 30,000 mile limited wear out warranty when the tire is used in a not staggered fitment ( and 15,000 if used in a staggered setup ).

We don't maintain waiting lists, so either check the website for updates or preorder at your leisure (tires would ship as soon as available).

This size is being manufactured in France, so once our initial shipments are exhausted it may several weeks for replenishment orders to arrive.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how much of the characteristics of the handling would change if you use the PSS in the front and the PS2's in the rear (Performance plus staggered rims).....

Michelin stresses that the PS2 and the SS are not to be mixed in axle pairs on the same vehicle, the concern being that the SS has been proven to provide better wet traction (especially near the limit) than the PS2.

REGARDING A TESLA MODEL S P85+ with the P85+ rims: Front 8.5J x 21 Rear 9.0J x 21 Offset 40mm

Doc, We need the SS in a 265/35R21 for the rear of the P85+. The front tire (245/35R21) doesn't get replaced as much as the rear tires.

What can we do to get the SS manufactured in that size?

Do we need to get all the P85+ owners to call Michelin and request it?

Also, it looks like TireRack only has the
Pirelli P Zero Nero in 265/35R21. Do you have other tire size options that we can use for the back of a P85+?

Thank you

9" rear rims on the P+ allows for the use of the SS 245/21 all the way around should the owner feel comfortable with the change in over steer margin using the same tire front and rear. Perhaps the larger SS will be available when it comes time to replace the rears again.

WRT the wear warranty, how does TTR handle wear when it is the inside shoulder that is done in while the rest of the tire is ok? Is there a uniformity of wear that is required to have the warranty stay intact?

REGARDING A TESLA MODEL S P85+ with the P85+ rims: Front 8.5J x 21 Rear 9.0J x 21 Offset 40mm

Doc, We need the SS in a 265/35R21 for the rear of the P85+. The front tire (245/35R21) doesn't get replaced as much as the rear tires.

Also, it looks like TireRack only has the
Pirelli P Zero Nero in 265/35R21. Do you have other tire size options that we can use for the back of a P85+?

Thank you

+1
PSS is light years better than PS2 in all regards.
Handling, tread live, rolling resistance, noise comfort, price
We need PSS tires ASAP

What about going with the 265/30ZR21/XL 96? Slightly lower profile

I dont like this idea
265s are too skinny as is for this car, but going square setup is just going to ruin the dynamics

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the SS tires available. Overall Diameter, Max Load, Section Width would be the areas to focus on...
2014-01-22_12-41-35.png

I dont like this idea
265s are too skinny as is for this car, but going square setup is just going to ruin the dynamics

My understanding was that the additional 20mm rear width was added solely to provide more oversteer margin at the limit, since the stiffer rear bushings reduced rear grip. If anything the narrower rear tire should result in less understeer and slightly more neutral handling. Given the better wet and dry performance and treadwear of the PSS over the PS2 I intend to go this route when it is time to replace my PS2's. I'll put on 245s all the way around if the 265 is not available by then.

- - - Updated - - -

What we need is for Tesla to switch P85+ new production to the PSS. It has better traction and treadwear at a lower price than the PS2. Surely Michelin will produce the PSS in 265/35/21 for that kind of volume.

I'm living vicariously through Dennis' exploits and eagerly awaiting his report on the new Pilots.

I too will be going 245/35-21 all the way around as my car has way too much understeer as is. I'll probably go back to the 265s on the rear when they are available for looks if nothing else. The "nice" thing about MS rear tires is there are lots of opportunities to change them out :)

A Michelin rep told me that there would be a shortage which I posted in another thread! I stocked two PS2 265's in the garage in anticipation. He thought that 265/35-21's woud eventually be made in the SS's but later. He could not give me a date.

I too will be going 245/35-21 all the way around as my car has way too much understeer as is. I'll probably go back to the 265s on the rear when they are available for looks if nothing else. The "nice" thing about MS rear tires is there are lots of opportunities to change them out :)

I think I will go this route as well come changeover time. I had considered simply purchasing a different set of wheels in a PSS-compatible size but was not happy with the idea of shelling out for the OEM wheels only to sell or store them.

Getting PSS's on the OEM wheels would make my year.