Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Super Sport - Opinions Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me today that the Contis are worn out. They quoted approximately $2200 for new Contis, installed, and about $3400 for Michelins. Yikes.

I checked TireRack, but by the time shipping and installation was factored in, the Tesla price wasn't bad.

Given that they only lasted 15,000 km (not even 10k miles) I couldn't justify the higher price for the Michelins.

(I guess I shouldn't go drag racing on the next set...)

Ouch! This is why I got 19's. :) Bridgestone Potenza S04's are 1250$ installed w/tax at my local tire place, and if I want the cream of the crop, Michelin Pilot SS are 1500$.

Looking at the results for both the A/S 3 and the Pilot Super Sport is very interesting. In some cases the A/S 3 gave better results. (Wet test track #'s were better across the board with the exception of steering response). A/S 3 gives better #'s for ride and noise on the road.

Dry Slalom was faster for A/S 3 however dry/wet braking and dry cornering G forces Pilot Super Sport came out on top. A/S 3 had a better wet cornering avg. g-force!

However the difference is clear in braking performance. (I think the tests are comparable because they both use the same test car.)

Dry Stopping Distance (50-0mph)
Pilot SS: 78.9 ft
A/S 3: 83.6ft

Wet Stopping Distance (50-0mph)
Pilot SS: 95.1ft
A/S 3: 100ft

Overall it appears the A/S 3 is a better wet tire, and the PSS is better on dry pavement.

Of interest both tires got 28.4mpg on the test car.

TireRack comparison test on Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3 just came in: "Conclusion: An athletic tire that resets the performance standard for Ultra High Performance All-Season tires"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29

Other Reviews:
Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Michelin Tires

Review: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Tire Test - Evaluating All-Weather Performance Tires - Motor Trend WOT

Tesla told me today that the Contis are worn out. They quoted approximately $2200 for new Contis, installed, and about $3400 for Michelins. Yikes.

I checked TireRack, but by the time shipping and installation was factored in, the Tesla price wasn't bad.

Given that they only lasted 15,000 km (not even 10k miles) I couldn't justify the higher price for the Michelins.

(I guess I shouldn't go drag racing on the next set...)

Doug, you should try 1010tires.com. They're basically the Canadian TireRack. Prices are a bit higher per tire as result, but the shipping and duty charges won't kill you like they do with TireRack. Plus no USD -> CAD conversion.

Looking at the results for both the A/S 3 and the Pilot Super Sport is very interesting. In some cases the A/S 3 gave better results. (Wet test track #'s were better across the board with the exception of steering response). A/S 3 gives better #'s for ride and noise on the road.
Some of that is to be expected. You give up some wet performance when you move to a summer tire over an all-season, and the more aggressive the summer tire, the more wet performance you lose. Big tread blocks and continuous tread lines are bad under wet conditions, both of which are common features of aggressive summer tires.

BTW, the Michelin website actually shows the size 245/35/21 for PSS tires. They also show a 295/30/21. Once these two sizes become available those of us running a staggered 21" setup should be able to use PSS instead of PS2 at that time. Hopefully that time comes soon.

They also have 245/45R17, R18, and R20 profiles, but not the R19 sizing we need. I inquired to Michelin if they plan to fill that gap, but got a canned "Buy our PS2" message. At least it looks like the 21"s will eventually be available.

Michelin launched both the Super Sport and AS3 tires in the most popular sizes first for obvious reasons, and we would expect them to fill in the gaps normally within 12 months of launch. If they don't have the size you need by then, you may not see it at all (it's tough to predict).

In the 245/45R19, Michelin offers the Pilot Sport PS3 which is slated to be used as OE on Mercedes Benz models not yet published. Audi uses the PS3 as OE on a few A4 and A6 models (in different sizes). The PS3 was launched less than a year before the Super Sports were announced, and the SS is to be considered the "latest and greatest".

Michelin launched both the Super Sport and AS3 tires in the most popular sizes first for obvious reasons, and we would expect them to fill in the gaps normally within 12 months of launch. If they don't have the size you need by then, you may not see it at all (it's tough to predict).

When did the PSS launch? I see reviews starting in early-2011, which I guess means we're already in the "you may not see it at all" category.

Any idea if the 245/35ZR21/XL 96 (Y) Super Sport tire listed at michelinman.com will be available anytime soon?

In the 245/45R19, Michelin offers the Pilot Sport PS3 which is slated to be used as OE on Mercedes Benz models not yet published. Audi uses the PS3 as OE on a few A4 and A6 models (in different sizes). The PS3 was launched less than a year before the Super Sports were announced, and the SS is to be considered the "latest and greatest".

Doc, any hint on when the 21" 245/35 and 295/30 are going to be available on your site? They appear on the Michelin site but not on tirerack.com.

From Michelin Customer Care regarding the 245/35ZR21/XL 96 (Y) Super Sport tire:

"We do make the requested tire. It is just on back order with no production date listed within the next 4 weeks.
Please check back mid January to see if it is back in production."

From Michelin Customer Care regarding the 245/35ZR21/XL 96 (Y) Super Sport tire:

"We do make the requested tire. It is just on back order with no production date listed within the next 4 weeks.
Please check back mid January to see if it is back in production."

Thanks, Laurent. It's great to at least get some feedback. Still hoping they supply the 245/35 and 295/30 combo in 21" variety. Would be a fantastic stagger setup! Both sizes show up on the Michelin website but neither shows up on tirerack.com.

The only reason I'm getting the Tesla 21's is because I want the Performance Plus package.

Has anybody heard of Tesla relaxing the prerequisite on the 21's if you want to go aftermarket? It would be nice to save the $4500. You could buy a wicked set of aftermarket rims/tires for that!

The only reason I'm getting the Tesla 21's is because I want the Performance Plus package.
Has anybody heard of Tesla relaxing the prerequisite on the 21's if you want to go aftermarket? It would be nice to save the $4500. You could buy a wicked set of aftermarket rims/tires for that!
You can ask. About 2 months ago they told me they're required and weren't willing to waive that requirement.

Does anyone have information on when these will be available for the P85+? I need back tires and would rather go with these.

Also, has anyone tried the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires? I'm looking for a quieter tire and the SuperSport's seem better than the PS2.

- - - Updated - - -

SuperSport shows a 265/30-21 tire. I wonder if that will fit fine. The tire load is a little lower, might need to add more pressure to accommodate.

SuperSport Specs: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/pilot-super-sport-tires#techspecs

PS2 Specs: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/name/pilot-sport-ps2-tires#techspecs

We need everyone to call into Michelin and request our tire size! Call +1 (866) 866-6605 and request the following tire: SuperSport Rear 265/35-21 for a P85+

Does anyone have information on when these will be available for the P85+? I need back tires and would rather go with these.

Also, has anyone tried the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires? I'm looking for a quieter tire and the SuperSport's seem better than the PS2.

- - - Updated - - -

SuperSport shows a 265/30-21 tire. I wonder if that will fit fine. The tire load is a little lower, might need to add more pressure to accommodate.

SuperSport Specs: Pilot Super Sport | Michelin Tires

PS2 Specs: Pilot Sport PS2 | Michelin Tires

We need everyone to call into Michelin and request our tire size! Call +1 (866) 866-6605 and request the following tire: SuperSport Rear 265/35-21 for a P85+

I'd like to have the PSS's as an option as well, but I don't think 265/30R21's would be a good fit for the OEM wheels. The difference in tire diameter is pretty big (3.69%). More than a 3% variance isn't recommended. There's also about a half inch difference in the sidewall height between the two tires.