Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did 8 of the 11 superchargers over Labor Day weekend. Planned to skip Chilpanchingo because of Level 5 State department admonitions. Missed the two around Mexico City because of the vehicle restrictions.

Definitely not for the faint of heart. Was extorted by two transit police outside of Mexico City who threatened to tow and impound the car for 48 hours for driving near the city on a Saturday. Scary and expensive experience—they took 3/4 of my cash and one cop was demanding $5000 to be let go. They had confiscated my license and vehicle permit and forced me to follow them through crazy traffic to a more secluded second location.
Insurance was slightly more than $40 per day. There was also a $400 vehicle deposit that would have been forfeited if I didn’t leave the country in a 7 day window. Definitely don’t take alternate routes suggested by NAV ie turn off online routing —sit out traffic jams on the toll road instead. Mostly truckers who were very courteous. Lawlessness rules elsewhere. Never seen people going backwards around a roundabout before. Roads were horrendous. Never would have thought to even try them until you saw it was the only route and everyone was negotiating ruts and rocks. It went from being like California highway to Cambodian village going from cuota (toll road) to free routes (Libre). Potential service needs are also a huge gamble if car needs to be towed stateside for service. My insurer (Chubb) only allowed $1000 for towing. It was a great experience from a natural beauty and autobahn-like driving experience perspective, but it had the potential to go rapidly south (no pun).

Supercharger in Compostela. Hard to believe no one noticed it with photos since August 14th. @BlueShift
28ACB6F5-FBA4-4828-A8C5-291EF0C6CC0E.png

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and IdaX
Photos of the Supercharger
389A9594-E762-4689-B2A5-569AE525FFC3.jpeg

Attachments

• 395D4740-2B80-4FDA-94FF-50E5FDE34CFD.jpeg
    395D4740-2B80-4FDA-94FF-50E5FDE34CFD.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 92
  • FC0E387E-59C9-4F4A-A61E-4381DF6A04C1.jpeg
    FC0E387E-59C9-4F4A-A61E-4381DF6A04C1.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Informative
Reactions: IdaX
53FF5BF2-1C2E-4AC1-829C-A568E8D98C3F.jpeg
Did not know there was a Mexico Supercharger thread here, but yesterday I found a new Supercharger in Compostela Mexico, on PlugShare with photos dating since August 14th. The Supercharger will, by the looks of things, be active very soon, or possibly already is.

Attachments

• FE7B37CE-D47C-4A52-8FFC-B0C9940CDE42.jpeg
    FE7B37CE-D47C-4A52-8FFC-B0C9940CDE42.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 5C36A1BD-09B7-431B-8B73-A055069850B1.jpeg
    5C36A1BD-09B7-431B-8B73-A055069850B1.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Informative
Reactions: Darren S and gene
Definitely not for the faint of heart. Was extorted by two transit police outside of Mexico City who threatened to tow and impound the car for 48 hours for driving near the city on a Saturday. Scary and expensive experience—they took 3/4 of my cash and one cop was demanding $5000 to be let go. They had confiscated my license and vehicle permit and forced me to follow them through crazy traffic to a more secluded second location.
Insurance was slightly more than $40 per day. There was also a $400 vehicle deposit that would have been forfeited if I didn’t leave the country in a 7 day window. Definitely don’t take alternate routes suggested by NAV ie turn off online routing —sit out traffic jams on the toll road instead. Mostly truckers who were very courteous. Lawlessness rules elsewhere. Never seen people going backwards around a roundabout before. Roads were horrendous. Never would have thought to even try them until you saw it was the only route and everyone was negotiating ruts and rocks. It went from being like California highway to Cambodian village going from cuota (toll road) to free routes (Libre). Potential service needs are also a huge gamble if car needs to be towed stateside for service. My insurer (Chubb) only allowed $1000 for towing. It was a great experience from a natural beauty and autobahn-like driving experience perspective, but it had the potential to go rapidly south (no pun).

Hey Bighorn, super interesting post which actually made me register.

I do live down here, near a supercharger. And near a major airport with plenty of low cost carriers.

Long story short:

I don't drive anywhere in MX by car except to

a) airport

b) Bus terminal

c) in town.

d) to next towns nearby

Reasons: Your trip report explains everything. Rampant corruption, extortion, lawlessness, sense of "roadblock culture". Mexico is nice, but no driver's place IMO.

Toll roads: I hope you guys are aware that the costs are quite high.

Would it be possible that you put together a google map of the service?

Reactions: MarcoRP
New supercharge map at Tesla.com shows a bunch more Superchargers coming. Looks like us California drivers won't have to drive to Texas (Scary) to get into Mexico. It also shows more in Baja, always wanted to do that 1000 mile drive, still not enough to drive there only on Superchargers.

Sad to hear that Mexican Police still use fear and intimidation to get themselves income from unsuspecting tourists... When I was 7 we did Mexico city over the Christmas break and we got pulled over on a lonely highway one night. My dad refused to pay the cop directly so they took our entire family to jail. My 5 y.o. sister was FREAKIN' OUT. Finally, they let us go, must have realized we were not gonna pay.

You would think in this day and age people would post on FB if they are getting violated and the cops would have their faces posted "Watch out for this bad guy". Perhaps that's just my Left Coast talking. People do need to eat, if the only job you can get is cop and the only way to get money in the job is to shake people down perhaps I could see the reasoning...

-Randy

Reactions: Bighorn
Hey Bighorn, super interesting post which actually made me register.

I do live down here, near a supercharger. And near a major airport with plenty of low cost carriers.

Long story short:

I don't drive anywhere in MX by car except to

a) airport

b) Bus terminal

c) in town.

d) to next towns nearby

Reasons: Your trip report explains everything. Rampant corruption, extortion, lawlessness, sense of "roadblock culture". Mexico is nice, but no driver's place IMO.

Toll roads: I hope you guys are aware that the costs are quite high.

Would it be possible that you put together a google map of the service?

I’m not facile with google maps but you can see the superchargers here:
supercharge.info
I went from Laredo to Ramos Arizpe then
Matehuala-SLP, San Luis de la Paz-GTO, San Juan del Rio-QRO, Temascalcingo-MEX, Atizapan de Zaragoza-EM, Silao-GUA, Aguascalientes-AGS. I skipped the two chargers around Mexico City after being stopped and had planned not to go to the coastal one due to state department warnings.

I slept at superchargers at Ramos Arizpe, which was a 24 hour truck stop, coming and going and Temascalcingo, which had a lightning strike power outage that helped me explain to security why I lingered after eating there.

I broke with my plan not to drive at night once in order to get to s SC I felt I could overnight at though I felt pretty safe on the toll roads. The big danger was poor visibility and occasional broken down or unlit vehicles. Wasn’t too concerned about banditos and heard later that they tend to be less malignant than the cops. I met a guy with a new 3 at the Laredo SC with family in Mexico and he said he wouldn’t drive it down there. I don’t know if a convoy would be safer or just draw unwanted attention.

The first day between Laredo and Ramos Arizpe, I took a Tesla detour due to a crash on the toll road. I probably would have had a much better, false impression of conditions if I hadn’t been exposed to the local roads. Sat through a two hour crash closure the next day so as not to repeat that experience. Toll roads are expensive though absolutely worth it and I’m a major skinflint.

I’d read of several folks who’ve driven for years and many thousand miles throughout Mexico without incident, so tried to discount knee jerk fear based on anecdotes. Not knowing Spanish was a pretty big disadvantage. I don’t know if there was signage that would have appropriately warmed me not to endeavor into city limits against local ordinances.

Thanks for your input.

New supercharge map at Tesla.com shows a bunch more Superchargers coming. Looks like us California drivers won't have to drive to Texas (Scary) to get into Mexico.

-Randy

If I had to drive from CA to somewhere near Mexico City, I would ALWAYS drive via TX.

Reasons:

a) only a small stretch of actual driving in Mexico

b) way less tolls to pay

c) no MX-highways, no MX-cops, etc.

Mexican low cost carriers, do have very reasonable prices and up to:

35 inch seat pitch (interjet)

32 (Volaris)

29 (viva aerobus)

Best practice if you guys really want to save money and live around/near San Diego:

Use CBX in San Diego, hop directly on the plane in Tijuana Airport.

You'll pay prices for 2 pax which are less than the tolls alone to Mexico city by car.

Regarding "taking the family on a road trip":

My spanish is pretty well, in written form sometimes better than the majority of locals.

Yet still, I wouldn't do it.

I’m not facile with google maps but you can see the superchargers here:
supercharge.info
I went from Laredo to Ramos Arizpe then
Matehuala-SLP, San Luis de la Paz-GTO, San Juan del Rio-QRO, Temascalcingo-MEX, Atizapan de Zaragoza-EM, Silao-GUA, Aguascalientes-AGS. I skipped the two chargers around Mexico City after being stopped and had planned not to go to the coastal one due to state department warnings.

Best practice Mexico city: Avoid driving there.

If you have to go to Puebla:

following route:

Google Maps

It's called "Arco Norte" and let's you bypass Mexico City. Heavy toll, but way worth it.

I slept at superchargers at Ramos Arizpe, which was a 24 hour truck stop, coming and going and Temascalcingo, which had a lightning strike power outage that helped me explain to security why I lingered after eating there.

Very, very brave to say the least.

I'd always get a motel with secured parking.

I broke with my plan not to drive at night once in order to get to s SC I felt I could overnight at though I felt pretty safe on the toll roads. The big danger was poor visibility and occasional broken down or unlit vehicles.

The main highways from/to Mexico City at night are not that bad, especially since the really long road traings (doble-semi-remolque) tend to to drive there with 110 kph/70 mph.

Wasn’t too concerned about banditos and heard later that they tend to be less malignant than the cops. I met a guy with a new 3 at the Laredo SC with family in Mexico and he said he wouldn’t drive it down there. I don’t know if a convoy would be safer or just draw unwanted attention.

Sometimes people who live in the states and are visibly Mexican tend to be treated even worse by cops than anyone else, especially if they drive a newer US-plated car.

The first day between Laredo and Ramos Arizpe, I took a Tesla detour due to a crash on the toll road. I probably would have had a much better, false impression of conditions if I hadn’t been exposed to the local roads. Sat through a two hour crash closure the next day so as not to repeat that experience. Toll roads are expensive though absolutely worth it and I’m a major skinflint.

If it was on the stretch Nuevo Laredo-Monterrey: Don't repeat. That toll road is really worth it.

I still don't get it why they are planning to build a supercharger in Salinas Hidalgo.

I’d read of several folks who’ve driven for years and many thousand miles throughout Mexico without incident, so tried to discount knee jerk fear based on anecdotes. Not knowing Spanish was a pretty big disadvantage. I don’t know if there was signage that would have appropriately warmed me not to endeavor into city limits against local ordinances.

I've been living down here for 12 years.

What has changed?

a) general road infrastructure has improved but still far behind anything a westener would call "appropriate". General sense of neglection still very present

b) Traffic density: Up by 30 % min, in certain places up to 40-60 %.

c) more newer compact cars on the road

d) driver's incompetence: Same like before, feels worse due to more cars on the road

e) urban freeways: Huge improvement, but always require attention when driving (potholes in the middle of nowhere etc).

f) all in all, you get by way better with a laid back attitude in driving. And I really mean laid back. Red lights though are generally respected.

g) signage: Useless, often misleading or plain wrong. Plan EVERY trip ahead with google maps/street view (works in MX, has saved me numerous times)

h) in big cities: Use uber. Really a blast

• Love
Reactions: Cdates
Important note regarding speed:

the 110 kph/69 mph limit (which is the max on the majority of highways, others are 90 kph/56 mph) is usually not enforced but when, it can get seriously expensive:

The official fine currently is 6,200 pesos, more than 300 USD and if you drive a foreign car: Fined on the spot.

Problem: Most ATM have a 6,000 peso withdrawal limit/day due to safety concerns.

Solution: drive 120 kph/75 mph on the tach and you're ok.

Most cops won't bother.

Difference to more developed countries: If you visibly brake/reduce speed when approaching them, they don't fine you but actually consider it a gesture of consideration. If you just blast by: The opposite. MX-subcontext....

Above that (120 kph): Things can get ugly.