Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible system level trouble seen on New Mexico Superchargers November 29, 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Superchargers here in New Mexico are few, but generally at a low fraction use rate. I was curious to see how Thanksgiving travel might affect them, so looked every few hours in the past week or so at the "10 closest" display that shows in my iPhone Tesla app under the location item.

Sometime in the last hour or two something very odd and disturbing is showing:
1. At any given moment one to three Superchargers don't even show current occupancy status
2. In a land where even 1/10 showing the yellow bars for Busy is unusual, I see five or so with the Red bars indicating a wait time, and more showing busy.

It seems unlikely that suddenly a mass movement of Tesla drivers in several directions has caused such simultaneous heavy usage, so I speculated on what higher level system vulnerabilities the Supercharger network might have.

Perhaps if the means to use to settle against credit cards crashed, we see this?
Perhaps there is some other form of common control that could go out of service.
Perhaps the chargers are OK, but the status reporting scheme suffered a hiccup.

After I'd typed to this point, it occurred to me to look at the navigation to chargers display in my model 3. Lo and behold, occupancies looked perfectly ordinary. So, most likely, the chain that delivers Supercharger status information to the iPhone app is suffering some malady.