Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to charge going from Tucson, AZ to Dallas, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning on driving to Dallas, TX for the solar eclipse in April from Tuscon, AZ but am reluctant to take my dual motor Model 3 due to a lack of supercharger stations in New Mexico and West Texas along Interstate 10. Has anyone experienced driving this route with their Tesla? Is it possible to do?

I'm planning on driving to Dallas, TX for the solar eclipse in April from Tuscon, AZ but am reluctant to take my dual motor Model 3 due to a lack of supercharger stations in New Mexico and West Texas along Interstate 10. Has anyone experienced driving this route with their Tesla? Is it possible to do?
Is your M3DM CCS1 enabled? There's a very dependable EA station in Lordsburg NM which fills in the gap between Willcox AZ and Deming AZ. There's a new SC station in Las Cruzes. and several in El Paso, IIRC (and EA). If you stay at B&Bs you can gain some charge overnight via their exterior plugs but some hotel/motels will allow the same and most RV parks will have some NEMA 14-50 outlets as well if you want to camp out. I-10 seems to have lots of DCFCs in Texas. One tip is that if you can make it to El Paso on the return trip you can take NM Hwy 9 (very flat and 55mph) to Hachita and then to Lordsburg easily on a single charge, or to Hwy 80 and then north to the I-10 and Willcox or to Lordsburg if range is tight.. Anyways, checkout plugshare and ABRP.

Last edited:
I'll driven that stretch of I-10 going East to West in a Model Y LR. Anyone traveling west of San Antonio, everyone should plan to stop at almost every supercharger between there and Tucson, just to be safe. (There are 2 in El Paso and 2 in Van Horn now, so you can stop at only one each of those places.)

If you're going to Dallas, you'd take I-20 where it splits from I-10 in West Texas. You'd still need to stop at all the first few superchargers on (-20, but as you get closer to DFW, the superchargers get much closer together.

To make you feel more comfortable with this trip, try mapping it in A Better Route Planner.