Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade reduced to £1400

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Infotainment Upgrade

I’m furious. £2340 paid on December 11th.

During the same service visit they installed my FSD upgrade and after that my radar hasn’t worked, which disables all TACC and Autopilot.

I’m waiting for a safe time to go in for service to get that fixed and they have the audacity on the estimated invoice to show “Customer pay” to replace the radar.

I paid the same in November, I think its probably worth at least contacting Tesla UK about this.

The devil may be in the details? Is the car still under warranty and radar cost shouldn't apply otherwise it's ight for you to argue that radar was damaged during service. I paid a similar amount to yourself arund the same time but that was an upgrade from EAP to FSD which came with the 'free' HW3 upgrade as opposed to simply an upgrade to improve infortainment and screen response. Note your linked upgrade only applies to pre March 2018 cars.

I like my car, but the whole Tesla ownership experience is a rollercoaster of hassle. :(

Failed door handles x3, rattling suspension, yellowing MCU screen, CCS combo charger upgrade, MCU2 upgrade, FSD upgrade...

Ditto! I havent done the CCS upgrade (yet) and own a chademo adapter (that wasn't cheap) from day 1 and never used it. I donlt suppose it works with the CCS change either

I like my car, but the whole Tesla ownership experience is a rollercoaster of hassle. :(

Failed door handles x3, rattling suspension, yellowing MCU screen, CCS combo charger upgrade, MCU2 upgrade, FSD upgrade...
Tesla clearly need to test the various components better before releasing to the public but the S was the first car at any kind of volume and was totally new technology so was always going to have teething problems etc. The handles should have been spotted either in testing or very soon after release and then modified, 9 years down the line with the same issue is clearly not good enough. The yellowing I can see how they wouldn't find in initial testing but they could have handled finding a solution better! The other upgrades I personally think are great, yes they are costly but what other manufacturers offer the ability to update a car that's a few years old and out of warranty with the latest tech, adding to the user experience for a fraction of the cost of replacing the vehicle? Will Nissan offer CCS upgrades on the Leaf or tell owners they need to change the car? Likewise would BMW offer owners of the original iDrive an upgrade to the latest for £2k? If you don't want to pay for those enhanced features you don't need to but you will still have the car you were happy to purchase in the first place (possible exception being using Superchargers in the future, which I can understand being frustrated at but they may offer it FOC in the future when they phase out V2 Superchargers?)

Reactions: pow216
Imagine if Raven and Hold Mode were upgradable items too. Having my 3rd door handle repair and CCS upgrade on Thu for £233+VAT, held off MCU2 so far (despite owner's manual non-open, voice search timeouts, screen corruption). Sadly all you've had plus three front bumper resprays, misaligned tailgate, faulty upgraded key-fob, tailgate resprays, cabin rattle, cabin rattle again, misaligned centre console lid, PTC heater+fuse failure (2 month wait for Nov service).

At least you can now update your signature for MCU2 ;)