Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016.5 90D - Threatened by service center - MCU2 upgrade vs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dancinghippo

Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2023
Atlanta
I purchased a 1 owner, accident free, Tesla 2016.5 90D with free supercharging & connectivity.
This car is confirmed SC01. I went in to get the MCU2 upgrade at my local Tesla service center, and during the check-in/photo/onboarding process, the topic of "out of warranty issues" popping up after the upgrade came up. We agreed to take pictures of everything working on my car, but then I mentioned unlimited supercharging. The tech LAUGHED at me and said they don't have that anymore. I mentioned my car is a clean SC01 car. He then chuckled and said, "we do not purposely disable these things, but if you check this car in to this shop for service, you are almost guaranteed to have your unlimited super charging removed since you are not the original owner."

THOUGHTS?
I obviously left the service center immediately! Look how clean this VIN comes back... The reason I left is really because it passed through a Ford dealership and it seems like this could be the real problem. If it was only Private Party, maybe it would stick after the upgrade? :(

1686946114002.png

How concerned should I be? If I leave the car as is, I should be good right? If I upgrade to MCU2 I'm probably screwed?

See my response in your other post on this subject. Do what any normal customer would do and proceed with your upgrade. Warn them when you turn in the car not to do any service other than what you have specfied.

Reactions: whisperingshad
See my response in your other post on this subject. Do what any normal customer would do and proceed with your upgrade. Warn them when you turn in the car not to do any service other than what you have specfied.

I will check that, posted early from the dealership from my phone :)

ADDED: My friend in Orlando did the MCU2 a couple of weeks ago. He now has no auto-presenting door handles, no touch to open on 3 out of 4 handles, and a variety of other problems minor problems. They have refused to handle any of the issues (although now it seems there is a security step they skipped, but they refuse to implement the fix at this time) I feel like this is not the way a large company should behave.

As a matter of fact, his experience is what caused me to really question/video/document my service visit this morning and then drive away :|

I thought FUSC stays with the car regardless of ownership assuming it never worked its way back to Tesla wherein Tesla would strip the FUSC option.

@dancinghippo is the car showing up in the Tesla app on your phone? If so, does it say "Free Unlimited Supercharging" under the Specs & Warranty?

FYI, I bought my 2015 P85D from a brand name car dealership and had "Free Unlimited Supercharging" when it showed up on my phone and then still remains after I took my car in for a battery heater replacement.

Are you sure this wasn't just a miscommunication or misunderstanding? Have you verified your car is SC01? If so, how did you verify it?

I will check that, posted early from the dealership from my phone :)

ADDED: My friend in Orlando did the MCU2 a couple of weeks ago. He now has no auto-presenting door handles, no touch to open on 3 out of 4 handles, and a variety of other problems minor problems. They have refused to handle any of the issues (although now it seems there is a security step they skipped, but they refuse to implement the fix at this time) I feel like this is not the way a large company should behave.

As a matter of fact, his experience is what caused me to really question/video/document my service visit this morning and then drive away :|

I got the MCU2 upgrade on my 2017, everything worked fine except I had no entertainment for a few updates (Netflix, Youtube, etc.). They also did run into some installation issues so it took them another hour or 2 to figure that out. No extra charge on my end though for that.

Since it is still a dealership, I'd definitely be weary about it. May be easier to go with that new location if you have it in writing that they won't take away the free supercharging for life.