Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

May Have to Buy a New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
f you're not familiar with how BWD works check this out: Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test. Not familiar with the add your own HEPA install, but pretty sure there's no substitute for the BWD.

From what I've gathered through that thread and a few other places, I'm not sure that this is true. People are saying that the Bio-Weapon Defense Mode button is simply a shortcut that cranks up the fans in order to create a positive pressure to push contaminants out. One can set the fans manually, if this is really desired.

From what I've gathered through that thread and a few other places, I'm not sure that this is true. People are saying that the Bio-Weapon Defense Mode button is simply a shortcut that cranks up the fans in order to create a positive pressure to push contaminants out. One can set the fans manually, if this is really desired.

All I can tell you is that it works in this mode. It was really smoky outside and we had no sense of it while driving. The rest of the time driving we had our air being filtered by the PUP HEPA but we could tell when we were entering a smoky area. I can't say whether if you do your own DIY HEPA addition you can achieve the same results, just know for us we felt it was totally worth just getting the PUP which gave you HEPA and the BWD mode.

All I can tell you is that it works in this mode. It was really smoky outside and we had no sense of it while driving. The rest of the time driving we had our air being filtered by the PUP HEPA but we could tell when we were entering a smoky area. I can't say whether if you do your own DIY HEPA addition you can achieve the same results, just know for us we felt it was totally worth just getting the PUP which gave you HEPA and the BWD mode.

For sure!

I feel like the PUP needs to be unbundled. I might have considered buying the Bio-Weapon Defense if it came by itself. Living in SoCal, there's not really any need for a cold weather package, and I don't care for premium sound in a car. It's pretty painful to drop $5000 when you want only one thing.

Reactions: IdaX
For sure!

I feel like the PUP needs to be unbundled. I might have considered buying the Bio-Weapon Defense if it came by itself. Living in SoCal, there's not really any need for a cold weather package, and I don't care for premium sound in a car. It's pretty painful to drop $5000 when you want only one thing.

Understand although I'm sure from a production standpoint sending a line of cars through to all get exactly the same thing added saves a lot of line time as opposed to one for this car and something different for that. Given the popularity of Tesla right now and working to increase production, don't see that happening at least in the near future, especially after they worked to streamline production by offering less options.

I will add that even though you say living in SoCal you don't need the cold weather package, you do have mountains with snow and ice and people who love the skiing and other "winter" sports and people do travel back East and through the Western mountain ranges. When we bought our car our PUP included the HEPA/BWD, light package, adaptive headlights, powered liftgate (later made standard--and hubby says he's now spoiled having after driving a car without), and the ventilated seats (which we love but got discontinued shortly after as an option on the S).

Now personally I wish they just made HEPA/BWD standard on all cars including the Model 3 (although not sure where they would find the room to install it). The frunk is already smaller than the MS and the cargo space what like half of the MS. I mean don't we all want clean air to breathe? If I had a twitter account I'd tweet this to Elon.

Reactions: BinaryField