Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass: ChargeSmart/National Grid Customers - Issues linking Tesla to ChargeSmart?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do they need to know where my car is? If the charger at my house is charging something, it's my car. If my car is somewhere else, it won't be using my home charger. Why do they need access to live data which tells them where I am and how fast I'm going and who knows what else? They should only need information about what my home Tesla charger is doing, they don't need to know anything about my car that I can think of.
How would they know the charger is consuming the electricity? Chargers are dumb devices, they don't have any means of communicating with NationalGrid. They get the info from the car which is already connected to the Internet. Tesla tracks your car's charging which they helpfully provide to you in the app. When you sign up for the off peak charging program you give NationalGrid access to your Tesla account so that they can see the same info, they then look at it and give you credit for the energy that your car takes in while it's parked at home.
If you don't want to share your location info with NationalGrid then don't sign up for the program.

How would they know the charger is consuming the electricity? Chargers are dumb devices, they don't have any means of communicating with NationalGrid. They get the info from the car which is already connected to the Internet. Tesla tracks your car's charging which they helpfully provide to you in the app. When you sign up for the off peak charging program you give NationalGrid access to your Tesla account so that they can see the same info, they then look at it and give you credit for the energy that your car takes in while it's parked at home.
If you don't want to share your location info with NationalGrid then don't sign up for the program.
There are smart chargers that are compatible with the program:

Home Chargers:

There are smart chargers that are compatible with the program:

Home Chargers:
HomeFlex can now be ordered with NACS. But hardwired with NACS is backordered.

The downside of doing the charger, is you won’t get the rebate while out and about. Of course if you link your car and it’s location, it’s a non-issue.
If you get free charging at work, you actually get money back for off peak charging while at work (if within MA).
Question for you as I was discussing this with a friend (I have Eversource so does not apply to me) and he asked: Why would he be at work during off peak hours? We could not find what are the defined off peak hours for National grid? So we have naively assumed its overnight. Which begs the question why would you be at work during those hours?

Question for you as I was discussing this with a friend (I have Eversource so does not apply to me) and he asked: Why would he be at work during off peak hours? We could not find what are the defined off peak hours for National grid? So we have naively assumed its overnight. Which begs the question why would you be at work during those hours?
National Grid’s off-peak window from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. is when demand for electricity is at its lowest, meaning that EV owners that charge off-peak are helping reduce the cost of charging and improving resiliency for the electrical grid. Additionally, when demand for electricity is lower, National Grid can utilize more carbon-free resources to provide electricity. Off-peak charging is more affordable, reliable, and green!

Ok so maybe you can do it between lets say 8 AM through 1 PM, if you happen to be at work during those hours. Or something like that. Good to know that non peak hours are from 9 PM to 1 PM. I have forwarded him the link. Thanks.

Ok so maybe you can do it between lets say 8 AM through 1 PM, if you happen to be at work during those hours. Or something like that. Good to know that non peak hours are from 9 PM to 1 PM. I have forwarded him the link. Thanks.
Yup. For me I just started a new job that has Chargepoint spots that are $.18/kWh.
That affords me $.15 or $.13 off peak rates which beats the snot out of my $.33/$.30 at home.
I don’t foresee myself charging at home much anymore.