Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mass: ChargeSmart/National Grid Customers - Issues linking Tesla to ChargeSmart?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chewy13

https://ts.la/nick670348
Feb 8, 2021
Massachusetts
I got an email saying that for 2024, we have to re-link our accounts.
Went to relink and got an error message - it said to then disconnect and reconnect the account.
I did that, still errors. The Pair Your Car button is still greyed out.

I tried a browser from my phone.
Then finally the ChargeSmart MA app - still no go.

Anyone else having this issue? I've e-mailed ChargeSmart/National Grid - if others have the issue, I'd encourage you to email them as well!

1704814808353.png

I got the mail. First attempt failed. Then it prompted to me remove the account, which I did. Then re-activated - that worked.
Yeah I did that 4 or 5 times.
Nat Grid did respond to me, saying that their engineers discovered an issue and pushed another update. I still couldn't get it to go...
I just tried the app once more, and this time it's all sync'ed up.

Hopefully it stays that way!

Reactions: Tdreamer
I was able to pair my car but I was *not* able to add the second car that I am an authorized user on. I know 2 car support in the ChargeSmart app was not / is not "officially" supported but "worked" with Tesla. Will be interesting to see how this shapes up especially since the other car is the one that charges mostly overnight.

I have not yet tried to send the enrolment link to the "owner" of that car and have them try, but something tells me the enrollment workflow is not going to like that.

One other thought, unrelated to enrolment, but I would have loved more granular permissions from Tesla here. The option to share read only charging data as opposed to start/stop charging as well as the ability to only share location while charging as opposed to live location 24/7 would be nice. I know it sounds like I should take off my tinfoil hat, but more granular permissions sounds like such an easy ask, especially since Tesla is pushing a stronger permission based model.

Attachments

• ChargeSmart.png
    ChargeSmart.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Chewy13
I was able to pair my car but I was *not* able to add the second car that I am an authorized user on. I know 2 car support in the ChargeSmart app was not / is not "officially" supported but "worked" with Tesla. Will be interesting to see how this shapes up especially since the other car is the one that charges mostly overnight.

I have not yet tried to send the enrolment link to the "owner" of that car and have them try, but something tells me the enrollment workflow is not going to like that.

One other thought, unrelated to enrolment, but I would have loved more granular permissions from Tesla here. The option to share read only charging data as opposed to start/stop charging as well as the ability to only share location while charging as opposed to live location 24/7 would be nice. I know it sounds like I should take off my tinfoil hat, but more granular permissions sounds like such an easy ask, especially since Tesla is pushing a stronger permission based model.

I’m waiting for the “we’re going to schedule when you can charge”.
Just like setting my thermostat to 78 during the day when my dog’s at home during the summer heat waves…

i just went to relink and then saw the permissions being asked for. upon looking at chargesmarts permission requirements on their website, they collect your location and live data from the car. no thanks, i'm already dealing with enough with chevy selling onstar data to LexisNexis (even if you dont have an active subscription). while i'd like a discount on my electric, it would be great if we didn't need to have big brother watching us to get it.

Reactions: kayak1
i just went to relink and then saw the permissions being asked for. upon looking at chargesmarts permission requirements on their website, they collect your location and live data from the car. no thanks, i'm already dealing with enough with chevy selling onstar data to LexisNexis (even if you dont have an active subscription). while i'd like a discount on my electric, it would be great if we didn't need to have big brother watching us to get it.
Well, they need to know you’re in Massachusetts when charging. That’s how they’re going to credit you or not.
And they need the data to see how much you’ve charged while off peak.
While I agree it would be great to do it without big brother, I’m not sure how that would work.

Well, they need to know you’re in Massachusetts when charging. That’s how they’re going to credit you or not.
And they need the data to see how much you’ve charged while off peak.
While I agree it would be great to do it without big brother, I’m not sure how that would work.
In addition to what you have said, its also a state requirement. Its part of the contract they have with the state. Also for those who don't know, behind the scene its the state that is giving you that rebate (not the energy provider). The provider gets compensated from the state in variety of ways including tax exemption, etc. So they need to keep a documentation of how many MA residents used this. Otherwise what prevents Connecticut (or any other state where your provider operates) residents to use this but state of MA will pay for it from MA tax payers money.

To OP: While I understand your privacy concerns, especially after your bad experience, but your car company already has all this information. They could leak it too. Tesla is worse, they even have your travel data and all the videos of your "private" garage/home, etc. because those cameras are constantly recording and uploading to Tesla servers. And so on.

Bottom line is that if you want to avail this discount, you'd need to share your location and how much electricity you have used for charging purposes (they won't be discounting the electricity used for your dryer or cooking range). Only then they will provide you the discount and rightly so. If you can think of any other way to share this information (without any risk of tampering) with them, maybe you can discuss with their representatives. I can't think of any other way because only my charger or my car would know how much electricity it has used.

NationalGrid already knows where you live, what's the big deal. They have to have the car's location because that's how they know it's charging at your house. The discount is on your home electricity bill ergo they need to know how much power the car is drawing from your house.

Reactions: jlv1
The other option is buy one of their approved chargers:

Home Chargers:

The downside of doing the charger, is you won’t get the rebate while out and about. Of course if you link your car and it’s location, it’s a non-issue.
If you get free charging at work, you actually get money back for off peak charging while at work (if within MA).

NationalGrid already knows where you live, what's the big deal. They have to have the car's location because that's how they know it's charging at your house. The discount is on your home electricity bill ergo they need to know how much power the car is drawing from your house.

Why do they need to know where my car is? If the charger at my house is charging something, it's my car. If my car is somewhere else, it won't be using my home charger. Why do they need access to live data which tells them where I am and how fast I'm going and who knows what else? They should only need information about what my home Tesla charger is doing, they don't need to know anything about my car that I can think of.

Why do they need to know where my car is? If the charger at my house is charging something, it's my car. If my car is somewhere else, it won't be using my home charger. Why do they need access to live data which tells them where I am and how fast I'm going and who knows what else? They should only need information about what my home Tesla charger is doing, they don't need to know anything about my car that I can think of.
Covered in my other post, the program has expanded to charging anywhere in Massachusetts; not just at home.

Covered in my other post, the program has expanded to charging anywhere in Massachusetts; not just at home.
I have never charged anywhere else in MA. Oh well, if it's mandatory, I'd rather pay full price than save .03/KWh and give up that much privacy. I'm a bit freaked out as it is to find my OnStar reporting to LexisNexis how often, how far and how many "fast acceleration" and "hard braking" events (however Chevy has chosen to define those) I have every time my Chevy is moving, even without an active OnStar subscription. I track my car and there is no context provided in the report and you know insurance companies will be paying LN for this data.

Reactions: kayak1