Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I noticed the dashboard nav map display was in pseudo 3D. The 3D view didn't correspond to the actual terrain because the display made it look like the road ahead was on a hill with the terrain dropping off on either side - when I was driving downtown - on completely level streets (no hills in the middle of downtown Houston...).

This feature is NOT from 6.0 or from the map updates - because I'm still stuck on 5.12...

- I've had the 3D-ish dash map texture since at least the 5.x days. For me it does seem to correlate to terrain reasonably accurately

- I got 6.0 at a service center, but don't know if they did (or even CAN) also update the map data.

- Since 6.0, I do have the different rendering on the dash display... the outlines as mentioned above, as well as I notice that the "lane guidance indicator stripes" are now blue rather than the previous orange

- I have not gotten a sperate "Maps updated" notification yet, despite having had 6.0 for a month, and being on WiFi every night.

Hence my question: Has anybody seen a definitive differnece between 6.0 and 6.0+Maps? (or any other way to positively identify if one has new map data?)

Has anybody seen a definitive differnece between 6.0 and 6.0+Maps? (or any other way to positively identify if one has new map data?)

The only way I can think of to know that you have new map data is to navigate to an area that did not exist until latelyand see if it maps the route correctly. I believe that the map update is a DB update only but I could be wrong.

The only way I can think of to know that you have new map data is to navigate to an area that did not exist until latelyand see if it maps the route correctly. I believe that the map update is a DB update only but I could be wrong.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, unfortunately for me the only one significant place I know of is a good clip out of my way...

It would be nice to have a "Map DB version/date" value we could find somewhere... just like the FW version.

Same here, mine's been like the bottom pic since 5.12 maybe? Also notice the topographical rendering on the bottom picture, which I also think came at the same time that the roads were made more defined. Of course, I live in flatsville, so maybe I just didn't notice until I went to Austin.

The 3D view may be limited to specific areas. I had the 3D view earlier this week while driving around downtown. And then went back to the 2D view when driving outside of downtown.

At least that's how it appears to be working in 5.12.

Got it this am for me. I've been on 6.0 for a couple of weeks with a sub-update to V6.0 on Thursday at the Service Center. When I'm back in my area, will be able to test the maps as a main street in my area (that has been there for 6 years) was not showing in the previous version of the maps. Hopefully the highway 30 and 50 show up in this update (live in Montreal, Canada)

I was on 6 something .15 and got notice of pending update Saturday morning. Queued for early this morning. Sadly I haven't gotten out to the car to see what I got. I have had the GPS freeze a couple of times that resets didn't fix. Sit overnight did. Guessing the error caught someone's attention at Tesla and they reached in to fix it. The center console reset displayed a red banner at the top stating "Navigation System requires service" or something to that effect. When it finished booting everything worked as before but my location was stuck about 10 miles away. And did it again a few days later. No problems the prior 9 months.

Nope. My car is within Wi-Fi range when parked in that garage too... although I note that it often comes on 3g when it comes out of sleep in the morning, despite having the "remain connected" setting enabled in the power savings settings.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I got my map update several weeks ago and I'm wondering when the next one will come along. The roads are constantly changing and the people who maintain the map databases are constantly updating them, so now that Tesla has worked out how to distribute updated maps, they should be shipping out updates every few months. There are already several road changes near where I live that didn't get included in the last update.

I've had my 6.0 for several weeks now - and haven't yet received the latest update (.43) or the map update.

I live in a new housing development - and most of the roads around me show up on the Google maps - but not in the navigation software - so most of the time when driving to/from my home - I'm off the navigation map - making the navigation routes frequently useless whenever travelling to/from the house.

Tesla should have enough bandwidth to support downloads to customers faster than this...

- I've had the 3D-ish dash map texture since at least the 5.x days. For me it does seem to correlate to terrain reasonably accurately

- I got 6.0 at a service center, but don't know if they did (or even CAN) also update the map data.

- Since 6.0, I do have the different rendering on the dash display... the outlines as mentioned above, as well as I notice that the "lane guidance indicator stripes" are now blue rather than the previous orange

- I have not gotten a sperate "Maps updated" notification yet, despite having had 6.0 for a month, and being on WiFi every night.

Hence my question: Has anybody seen a definitive difference between 6.0 and 6.0+Maps? (or any other way to positively identify if one has new map data?)

Answering at least one of my own questions: A little birdy has told me that map updates are NOT something that the service centers can load, even if they do a firmware update.

So it would appear that the dash map rendering changes are tied to the regular firmware updates, not the map data update.