Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it has anything to do with being on wifi. Mine is on wifi at least 20hrs a day either at home or the office, and I do not have the new maps yet (but do have the v6 update).
The release notes pretty clearly said maps are only delivered by WiFi. They may be staggering the maps roll out, which explains why you haven't gotten them yet, but those of us who are never on WiFi won't be getting them until the next time we visit the SC.

I recall hearing/reading that the Navigon map updates will only occur when you're on WiFi. I'm hoping that the SC can install them, as my garage is not in WiFi range of my condo.

I remember reading the same. My car is connected to wifi while parked in my garage and it does spend lot of time in garage since I work from home. Any way, I had not seen a map update until one weekend day, I parked at a Whole Foods for some 45 minutes (not connected to wifi), came back and found a notice that my maps had been updated. I can't say if maps had been downloaded earlier while car was on wifi and just took a long time to apply the update or if update was indeed downloaded on 3G instead. Nevertheless I had been away from wifi for about hour and half before the map update notice popped up.

Came out to the car after work and had map updates. Unsure if routing is part of that, but I plotted a course for home, and as before, it took me a very circuitous route. I'm sure there's improvements in there, but that's my first experience with it.

Yeah, I was heading home, tossed on GPS and it gives me this round about way. Hah! As if I don't know how to get home. I did not know maps had been updated.

Then I found out that 20 miles of road was closed. Oops. Turn around, and get back on the blue line. Learned my lesson.

The notes for V6.0 states that thecae has to be connected to wifi to get the map update. My guess is you got the update when the car was connected to wifi but did not get the notification until some time later.

I'm not sure if this is true (maps only updating when on wifi), but in my case, the notification of new maps came at the end of a day at work, where I was definitely not on wifi. I had actually driven the car a couple of hours prior, before leaving work, but the maps notification didn't come until the end of the day. So either the maps downloaded over 3G or they downloaded the night before (over wifi) but it took the car several hours to process/install them. I don't know how much that means, but it was my experience.
I recall hearing/reading that the Navigon map updates will only occur when you're on WiFi. I'm hoping that the SC can install them, as my garage is not in WiFi range of my condo.

The release notes say:

Updated navigation maps: New maps will be available for your navigation system soon. Your car must be connected to a Wi-Fi network to receive the maps. You'll be notified with an on-screen message once the maps have installed. Map updates will start rolling out gradually after Release v6.0 is launched.

The release notes pretty clearly said maps are only delivered by WiFi. They may be staggering the maps roll out, which explains why you haven't gotten them yet, but those of us who are never on WiFi won't be getting them until the next time we visit the SC.

I got the Maps Updated notice after sitting outside all day today for about 8 hours. No WiFi in sight. Maybe they came in last night when I was at home, but it's odd the notification didn't come up until 5:00 PM today.

I got the Maps Updated notice after sitting outside all day today for about 8 hours. No WiFi in sight. Maybe they came in last night when I was at home, but it's odd the notification didn't come up until 5:00 PM today.

Same here - I got the map update message after the car had been outside, definitely not on WiFi, for over 4 hours. The car connects to WiFi at home, but it sure seemed like the download/install happened outside of WiFi range. Unless the process involves downloading over WiFi and then starting the installation the next time the car is turned off...

Could be it takes awhile to unpack the update. Or, perhaps most likely, Tesla screwed up in communicating how the updates are handled. It wouldn't be the first time incorrect information made it into the manual/release notes.

Same here - I got the map update message after the car had been outside, definitely not on WiFi, for over 4 hours. The car connects to WiFi at home, but it sure seemed like the download/install happened outside of WiFi range. Unless the process involves downloading over WiFi and then starting the installation the next time the car is turned off...

Yep, same with me. The car is on WiFi at night in the garage, but then on 3G the rest of the day. And I got the notification some 8 hours after I left home, so it does look indeed like the installation (and most probably the download too) happened outside WiFi range...

Oic. So other than the popup msg. Is there a way to know they've been updated? I thought they had a different watermark or something?

I was wondering the same and spent some time trying to spot differences: none (none that I could notice, at least). It really looks like a roads update only, the way the map looks is exactly the same.

I've noticed the maps look slightly different on the instrument cluster after the 6.0 maps update. Can't say if it's associated with 6.0 or the maps update specifically because I didn't notice the difference until after the maps update downloaded. The new maps have contrasting outlines on the roads, making them easier to see.

Before 6.0 / Maps Update

IMG_3629.JPG

After 6.0 /Maps Update

IMG_3772.jpg

Pretty sure that 6.0 just changed the rendering of the navigation map to be slightly more 3D / forced perspective, as it was definitely one of the first things I noticed, and didn't get the map update until a week or two later.