Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maintaining a dark paint job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too. And ever since I sent it in I'm eying every blue car I see. So, I saw the blue Roadster but not the Blue Model S. Ordering based on MikeK's wrap-around videos and pictures. Which is a little crazy but no Blue Model S near Mass to see. Opinions: it is lighter than Audi Midnight Blue? BMW midnight Blue? AMC Gremlin Powder Puff Blue? Any comparisons and comments on whether it looks darker/lighter than MikeK's pics/videos (which are spectacular and easily found with a Forum search for pacific blue)? Thanks

I got to drive the blue at the AMP'ed tour - it is pretty much as MikeK's videos show it but maybe a touch darker. We had a hard time in the shade identifying the blue vs black. In the sun, however, the blue color definitely comes out, but it is the darker, more elegant blue. Disclaimer - I'm choosing blue :smile:

Me too. And ever since I sent it in I'm eying every blue car I see. So, I saw the blue Roadster but not the Blue Model S. Ordering based on MikeK's wrap-around videos and pictures. Which is a little crazy but no Blue Model S near Mass to see. Opinions: it is lighter than Audi Midnight Blue? BMW midnight Blue? AMC Gremlin Powder Puff Blue? Any comparisons and comments on whether it looks darker/lighter than MikeK's pics/videos (which are spectacular and easily found with a Forum search for pacific blue)? Thanks

I drove the blue Model S at the Toronto Get Amped tour stop. It is very dark, but looks spectacular when clean on a bright, sunny day.

I don't know if this iPhone picture is much good, but the one parked on charge is the blue, and the one driving by is black for comparison.

Mike
A2BCEDBB-B47D-46CE-A965-CA5669385F97.JPG

Thanks, All - never knew there were so many shades of Blue. Think i have come to feel that in general the darker the blue the better. MikeK be glad you are in white as white is white. Honestly love seeing the Blue Models S pics - many thanks. Add any you have please. Nothing like buying a car you never drove in a color you've never seen.

I can't imagine you'll be unhappy with it, provided that you accept the maintenance requirements of the dark color. The car looks fantastic in blue, especially with the tan interior, and it was an utterly agonizing decision to make. I am still a bit anxious over the choice, to be honest. Elon's recent tweet photo of the cars on the final inspection line, with the really prominent trunk seam visible on the silver cars, is making me wonder whether I should have just bitten the bullet on the blue, which hides those seams and makes the car really hang together beautifully.

Time will tell!

Funny - buyer's remorse: was looking at the pics I took of the White Beta in White Plains, NY and thinking how pure and fast the white looks. The seam thing (which you have mentioned several times) has never been noticeable to me. At all. Never would have though of it. The darker the blue is I suspect the more I'll like it, but it is only a color and really not important. At all. I have never picked a car color before - this is my first new car. That's pretty funny when you think about it. Have bought a couple of new ones for my wife =but just took the car that had the features and price we wanted, regardless of color. My kids liked the Pacific Blue - so there it is.

Hahaha! That's great. Thanks for your perspective. I do agree with you -- the white car has a certain... something. I was about to get the silver as a compromise between the blue and white (a light, easy to maintain color but one that could still have paint armor), but as I was sitting at Menlo Park, I saw the white Model S pull into the parking lot with the running lights on, and it was just breathtaking. On the other hand, literally within a few minutes, I saw a Founders series white car pull out, and I sure saw that trunk. I do think the trunk gap on that Founders series car was bigger than the more recent cars that were at the Palo Alto event, though.

Anyone have any experience with Optimum's Opti-Coat or 3D's HD Nitro Seal? These are coatings that last longer than traditional waxing and polishing. I like the darker colors, but have to be honest with myself about maintaining the finish.

Opti-coat sounds like what I want to do with my either Sig Red (if I get upgraded) or Blue (if I don't). It sounds like the real deal. Here is a thread where a guy chronicled 16 months with it. Bottom line is its a clear coat for you clear coat.

GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!

I've found a detailer in the Houston area that uses this and I plan to try it on my son's CTS before my S arrives. Thanks for the pointer.

Opti-coat sounds like what I want to do with my either Sig Red (if I get upgraded) or Blue (if I don't). It sounds like the real deal. Here is a thread where a guy chronicled 16 months with it. Bottom line is its a clear coat for you clear coat.

GRAND FINALE -Optimum Opti-Coating - Durability Test Review!!!

I've found a detailer in the Houston area that uses this and I plan to try it on my son's CTS before my S arrives. Thanks for the pointer.

That looks promising. Would they have to remove the paint armor then? I've already paid for that. Thanks.

That looks promising. Would they have to remove the paint armor then? I've already paid for that. Thanks.

Says it will coat plastic and clear coats and different surfaces so I believe it would coat the armor. I was thinking aluminum can be dinged easily and the mere fact that Tesla is offering the armor probably means we should get it. I'm still on the side of not getting the armor, but I might cave or at least look into an aftermarket solution.