Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E review from Model 3 SR+ owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The steering wheel toggle doesn’t work as well as twisting a dial. The toggle is a workaround. If you want to quickly crank the audio up or down, nothing beats a flick of the wrist. It not only works better and faster, it’s more tactile.

Is having a volume knob a big deal? It’s a nice plus. Is having a volume knob something to criticize? Definitely not.
Toggle works better than a knob; don’t have to reach for the toggle. It’s also not a plus when it makes a car feel cheap. Something my many Fords suffer from. Don’t get me started on my Fusion. :rollseyes:

It's not a 'toggle' on the steering wheel - it is a thumbwheel. Easy to zip the volume up and down, by rolling it with your thumb, without your hand ever leaving the wheel. Our Volt has a pair of paddles on the back of the right side of the steering wheel. These actually do toggle the volume up and down in discreet steps - one per paddle push.

The other thing one quickly learns in a Tesla is to use voice commands. Press the right thumbwheel, then say things like "temperature 72", "call home", "navigate to xxxx", "open glovebox" and so on. So you really don't have to get distracted by tapping the screen.

Last edited:
The steering wheel toggle doesn’t work as well as twisting a dial. The toggle is a workaround. If you want to quickly crank the audio up or down, nothing beats a flick of the wrist. It not only works better and faster, it’s more tactile.

Is having a volume knob a big deal? It’s a nice plus. Is having a volume knob something to criticize? Definitely not.

I change volume on ALL my cars using whatever controls I have on the wheel. There is absolutely no need for a separate volume knob.
On another topic, your very existence on this forum tells me a lot about Ford community ... at least in that I was banned from the MachEForum in 2 days and you keep advertising for Ford here freely ignoring common sense.

2. The MME’s frunk divider can easily be removed. It was required by regulators because the frunk is evidently large enough to exceed some child safety threshold. Not sure why the Y doesn’t likewise have dividers. Maybe it’s slightly smaller, or maybe Tesla dodged the regulators by not publishing a frunk capacity.
The Y has an internal frunk release button doesn't it? That's why the dividers are put in on some car to stop having to have a release button.

Speaking of knobs. The gear shift knob is another not needed knob. Why does it rotate past the designated gear selections? It just keeps spinning...

Having a volume knob is not a big deal. Sticking it on a touch screen, with only a single purpose, to me, is a big deal.

Great review. Couple things....

2. The MME’s frunk divider can easily be removed. It was required by regulators because the frunk is evidently large enough to exceed some child safety threshold. Not sure why the Y doesn’t likewise have dividers. Maybe it’s slightly smaller, or maybe Tesla dodged the regulators by not publishing a frunk capacity.
The frunk dividers are not easily removed... If I could pull them out with out any tools then I would agree.

Great review. Couple things....

1. MME looks so much better. You may have omitted that because “looks are subjective” - but only up to a point. The MME looks a LOT better.

I've attached the side profile from the Model-Y & Mach-E, taken from their respective websites. I chose black on purpose because Ford uses black to decieve their customers on the true shape of the car. Compare the black to the white Mach-E. The white looks much better than the black Mach-E since Ford uses black accents to give the illusion it's has sportier lines then it really does. I threw in the side profile for the 2021 Escape Titanium Plug-in Hybrid as a design observation to show the Mach-E is essential the same shape as the '21 Escape.

Yes, looks are subjective, but I do prefer the Model Y.

Attachments

• Artboard.png
    Artboard.png
    2 MB · Views: 128
One other thing I failed to mention in my review. The charging door is plastic, and seems a little flimsy. There is also a plastic cover over the DC part of the connector. I'm not sure why manufacturers need to only cover the DC part of the connector. However the bigger concern was how much the plastic connector flexes as you push in the charge connector. The bigger connector seems to put a lot of weight on the plug on the car. Also there is no way in the car to see how fast of a charge your getting. This is a big miss by Ford and hopefully it can be resolved with an OTA update.

I've attached the side profile from the Model-Y & Mach-E, taken from their respective websites. I chose black on purpose because Ford uses black to decieve their customers on the true shape of the car. Compare the black to the white Mach-E. The white looks much better than the black Mach-E since Ford uses black accents to give the illusion it's has sportier lines then it really does. I threw in the side profile for the 2021 Escape Titanium Plug-in Hybrid as a design observation to show the Mach-E is essential the same shape as the '21 Escape.

Yes, looks are subjective, but I do prefer the Model Y.

Wow, looking at that pic the Mach-E really does have an almost identical side profile to the Escape. Makes me wonder why they didn't simply make the Mach E an actual electric Escape, I mean Ford practically did!

Wow, looking at that pic the Mach-E really does have an almost identical side profile to the Escape. Makes me wonder why they didn't simply make the Mach E an actual electric Escape, I mean Ford practically did!

The Mach-E platform is a derivative of the Ford Focus/Escape platform, so shouldn't be very surprising they look alike. Ford simply would not be able to sell a single Escape EV for 50+K, so they had to "invent" an EV under the most expensively sounding brand name. Good they haven't called it Shelby, but that would be a true abomination.

Really? You need to panic adjust the volume up. As for toggles/wheels on steering wheel being a workaround, that is funny. Your hands are on the wheel lets put controls on the wheel is some sort of work around. No they are better suited for the steering wheel so you dont need to move your hands off the wheel.

The biggest criticism of the knob is it is on screen and therefore the UI always needs to account for it. Ford ever wants to change the UI in a software update and well you have this non-removable knob on the screen.

If ford made an electric escape I would buy it immediately. I like the Mach- e but an electric escape would be perfect

If ford made an electric escape I would buy it immediately. I like the Mach- e but an electric escape would be perfect
I thought the same thing - the Escape is a good looking small SUV.

As for the other folks arguing over and over - it's pretty clear some simply have a difficult to overcome bias or that they are simply arguing with others to justify the money they spent on their purchase (maybe a little buyer's remorse) . . .

I like having a volume knob. Some don't. Great. Doesn't make one car "better" than another. I don't like a minimalist interior. Some do. Doesn't make one car better than another.

Better range? Fine. Better safety? Fine. Better ride? Fine. Better "(real) fit and finish? Better quality paint? All fine. But subjective differences don't make a car "better," only more suited to your tastes.

Addressing several posts above....

I also like the escape and, even more, the explorer. I would have opted for the more traditional SUV shape if that was available. But the crossover shape with muscular Mustang styling still looks great.

The MME was absolutely not built on an Escape platform. It is an entirely new platform. Unlike the Y which is built on the Model 3’s wheel base (which is why it looks like a pregnant Model 3 and quite blobby).

The MY and MME profiles, whether side, front, rear, whatever, look nothing alike other than the basics of having 4 wheels, a sloped windshield, etc.). If you think the MY looks better, there is really no point in me debating that, but I’m going to discount the remainder of your opinions accordingly. Sorry. You have to be able to see the positives and negatives, and give credit where it is due.

The volume knob! It is AMAZING to me how so many of you seem obsessed over this little feature. I think it is somewhat telling. A few final points re Knobgate and I’ll leave it there....

1. Criticizing things the Tesla lacks (“I can’t see the corners of the driver screen” and “the volume knob feels cheap”) is the height of silliness and speaks to how far some of you will reach to find a criticism. There are valid criticisms of the MME - those aren’t among them. At worst, they are harmless additions. At best they are (IMO) useful features.

2. It is easier to twist the volume knob than use the thumb dial. It simply is.

3. The volume knob currently only controls volume, but Id love to see it also be used to adjust climate setting. That would be a very easy to implement with a future update. Just tap the temp or fan and you could either use the touch slider or the knob would control that for a couple seconds.

4. Re the risk of “taking your hands off the wheel” to reach the knob, that is just stupid. NONE OF YOU are driving at “10 and 2”. You’re putting your right hand all over the Tesla touch screen while driving anyway. Same with the MME. Adding the knob is just one more useful tool.

5. Re the knob making it hard to change the UI in the future. Ok. So what? The bottom couple inches of the screen were never intended to be changed. Anymore than other car’s physical climate controls. The remainder of the real estate in the massive tablet is fair game. These aren’t even nits, people. They’re nano-nits.

Ok finally the lack of on-screen charging status during fast charging. We finally agree on something. I think it will be added in a future update.

If you think the MY looks better, there is really no point in me debating that, but I’m going to discount the remainder of your opinions accordingly. Sorry. You have to be able to see the positives and negatives, and give credit where it is due.

I think the MY looks better. Sorry that bothers you! :D

Criticizing things the Tesla lacks (“I can’t see the corners of the driver screen” and “the volume knob feels cheap”) is the height of silliness and speaks to how far some of you will reach to find a criticism. There are valid criticisms of the MME - those aren’t among them.

Why aren't they valid criticisms? I did not like the driver screen being placed too close to the wheel and it obscured the edges of it for me, why do you think that's silly?

2. It is easier to twist the volume knob than use the thumb dial. It simply is.

I don't think it is. Why do you feel my opinion is the "wrong" one? :rolleyes:

Re the risk of “taking your hands off the wheel” to reach the knob, that is just stupid. NONE OF YOU are driving at “10 and 2”.

How do you know how other people drive? Why are the personal preferences of others so offensive to you?

FordMME, maybe you should try to be more accepting that not everyone thinks like you do? It's okay for people to have differing tastes and preferences in life, accept that.

I think @FordMME has been a great sport on this particular thread and not an obnoxious Ford fanboy. Kudos

We can all agree to disagree; it's the beauty of this discussion. This opinion is not fact-based. Ford is going to have a hard time selling this vehicle en masse to non-Ford customers. If you had a survey and asked the next generation of drivers and gave them a poll for "What EV would you buy?" and a list of Tesla, Ford, VW, Audi, KIA, Hyundai. I bet you they are not picking a Ford. Just a hunch, that's all.

It's exciting to have more EV's coming out. Ford will sell a few of these only because of the US rebates, which is a very expensive Ford. I can buy a 2021 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid plugin, top of the line for Ford, cheaper than the entry-level Mach-E.

All prices are CDN from ford.ca
  • 2021 Ford Titanium Hybrid plugin - $43,649 + Taxes and fees = $51,584
  • 2021 Ford Mach-E Select - $50,495 MSRP (no taxes or fees)

No rebates in Canada (except Quebec) for the Mach-E.

Why would the average Ford customer risk go all-in on an EV for way more money? I think this will be a hard push in Canada, considering Ford has only shipped 3,749 in February alone. Ford has also said they are holding back 4,500 cars for quality issues.

When Ford ships (and doesn't mess up the launch) the F150 EV, then people might take notice of the Mach-E. Until then, I still think Ford is an F150 company.

Ford delays 4,500 Mustang Mach-E deliveries