Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Owners: Would you buy another Model 3 today?

Would you buy a Model 3 today?

• Yes

Votes: 197 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've made a lot of threads over the past few days gathering information. I hope that you understand that you're polling the minority of owners who are also going to tend to be more vocal about both their love for tesla and their complaints when they have issues. I don't see how its possible for you to base a purchase decision on data gathered here alone.

I am gathering a lot of data. Talking to owners. Watching YouTube videos. It's lunch. I have nothing better to do. And all the information taken together is helping me reach a decision.

I love my car and I would buy it again. I like how quiet it is and the enjoyment I get from driving it. The only drawback for me is I live in CO and there are a lot of gravel roads here. It does NOT drive well on gravel like my Audi did. And I haven't driven in the snow yet so we shall see!

Reactions: Petrocelli
I have purchased 2 Model 3's roughly a year apart. The quality is not there and the service in my area, at multiple service centers, is abysmal. The cars are plenty fine if you do not need service or do not care about the finish. Ymmv.

Why didn’t you reject delivery on the second one if you weren’t happy with the finish on the first one

Reactions: tvad
Why didn’t you reject delivery on the second one if you weren’t happy with the finish on the first one
Looked pretty good in the showroom. It was better than the first one in the ways I knew to look for. Bigger problems were harder to spot like torn jack points which requires a battery replacement, which requires removing the interior. Thin paint on bumpers where you could see the primer got missed in the showroom. As well as service mess ups and overall poor service fixing the minor stuff. I tried a different service center for this car. I found the same service manager floats between both locations, same results. I am keeping the 2nd one for now. Already had them buy back the other one. I like the model 3. Just can't get a fair shake with service in these parts. Not planning to buy a 2nd one back unless something changes.

Last edited:
For Model 3 owners only: given alleged service problems and defects, would you buy a Model 3 today?
Yes, absolutely. My Model 3 is my fourth Tesla (see my sig) and in many ways it is the best. I’ve had no significant issues with it (the passenger side triangular black plastic piece just in front of the window was slightly loose, Tesla fixed it) during my 10,300 miles of ownership. I love driving it! Even more than the Tesla Roadster I used to own, and that’s saying something.

Reactions: XLR82XS and Nels
Yes. 100%. Went on my first 'long' trip last weekend to show my family. First time I've ever been able to drive it on open country roads. Amazing experience.

My brother, sister and parents all want one. At a supercharger station, I saw a woman taking pictures of it as I walked back from restaurant. She was a Leaf owner who wanted a car with more range. After 5 minutes of answering her questions, she said she was going to buy one too!

Best car I've ever owned. By far. I'll live with any service issues to be able to drive this car every day.

BMW, Audi, MB should just give up now.
My Model 3 test drive months ago was nothing short of a revelation, a total game changer. I cross shopped the usual suspects: BMW M340/M3; Audi S4/S5 SB; MB C43 AMG... After driving the Model 3, everything else felt like antiquated, last century crap. To think that I got it for more than 10k less than all others I've considered is just mind blowing.

I can't wait to sell my wife's Acura for the Model Y. I will probably buy my daughter a used 3LR in a few years because they are so safe.

@Petrocelli my only concern for you, if you were a friend and I were recommending Model 3 to you, is that you live in LA, where the number of Teslas on the road is insane. This means if you need the local superchargers, you'll often have to wait in lines, and those lines aren't always well-respected because there are always 2 ways into the charging area. You might also deal with overloaded service centers, should you encounter a problem you want resolved. Plenty of owners have no issues with their cars.

Wife drives an older S85. We're highly considering selling it private party when the Y becomes available and getting the Y. It's not a direct endorsement of the 3, but it might as well be because of how similar the Y is to the 3.

I have the LR RWD, which I love because it is/was the most efficient Model 3 trim, and I am easily beating the EPA ratings. AWD is nice for a decent performance boost with little efficiency sacrifice. And it's a bit more stable in winter handling. Performance is probably not my style. And potholey + wintery New England is not the best environment for it. But LA is like perfect performance conditions....

Yes. If my wife’s Enclave weren’t just a year and a half old, she’d be in a Model X by now. And if you had any idea how opposed she was to the idea of an electric car - let alone a Tesla - that would be the biggest ringing endorsement ever.

So the current plan is for me to drive the Model 3 for 6 years, until my son gets his driver’s license. Then he’ll get the hand-me-down Model 3, and I’ll snag a Model Y.

Meanwhile; my wife’s Enclave will be replaced with either an X or Y too.

So - yeah, you could say we’d get another one. In half a heartbeat.

Absolutely. The car is better than I ever imagined it would be. I was one of the original "waiters". I put my deposit down in the first 15 min. the website would take orders. Sight unseen, performance unknown, reviews non-existent. When I picked up the car two years later it was more than I could have imagined. I've had zero problems after the first few software updates and no major problems since I took delivery.

If you're expecting Toyota/Lexus levels of reliability, then Teslas aren't for you. There will be minor issues here and there, and some fit/finish issues. The service centers will generally make them all right, but sometimes it'll take more than one visit and a bit of patience. Nonetheless, I would still replace my Model 3 with another Tesla, because there's no other car that comes close when it comes to driving enjoyment, user interface usability, and driver assistance functionality.