Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I ask about your SoC at that time?
SoC was at 89%

ETA: I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but given my very short commute my car wasn't exactly "warmed up" or anything before I punched it. The good news is that it was still shockingly fast despite no warm up. Query as to whether it would have performed any better if I had warmed it up before measuring performance. I suppose I'll have to do some more testing. :)

SoC was at 89%

ETA: I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but given my very short commute my car wasn't exactly "warmed up" or anything before I punched it. The good news is that it was still shockingly fast despite no warm up. Query as to whether it would have performed any better if I had warmed it up before measuring performance. I suppose I'll have to do some more testing. :)

Thank you, yo mama! 89% is just about perfect so it's a good datapoint. I hope you will be able to beat this figure though since it is quite a bit lower than the P90D value of around 456 kW.

My current plan is to evaluate the MotorTrend firmware version before making a decision to L upgrade or P90DL upgrade. I realize I can be impatient, but a lot of time has passed since Tesla used MotorTrend to confirm reliable ten second quarter mile runs. Common sense would have had Tesla pushing out that firmware to 90DL owners in the field by now ...

Look at the bright side. Nobody getting a 10.9 just means the "Stop the Press!...." thread will eventually lose its top spot. Then, will have to re-think the dynamics of "EV distance".

SoC was at 89%

Yo mama,
thankyou for your testing.
have you manually activated the max battery power feature?
some have mistaken the max battery power to mean it was ready but you need to touch the words to activate it.

Yo mama,
thankyou for your testing.
have you manually activated the max battery power feature?
some have mistaken the max battery power to mean it was ready but you need to touch the words to activate it.
You know, that's a great question. I had no problem "enabling" the max power function pre-upgrade. Can't seem to get it to "engage" post-upgrade. I don't know why that is but I've contacted Tesla service to help me figure it out. There could be any number of explanations (include a stupid user, or maybe it is already on) so there's no point in speculating. I'll report back once I get it figured out. But wouldn't it be funny if I've yet to uncork the maximum potential of the upgrade? Because - screw the numbers - this thing is already scary fast.

Alright everyone, here's the video you've been waiting for :biggrin:

First, to set the stage right, below are the conditions in which this non-scientific test was performed:

• The two cars that were compared are my P85D with Insane and Yo Mama's P85D with Ludicrous
  • I drove both cars with Yo Mama in the front passenger seat (no other passengers or cargo were present)
  • Four tests were performed: two in each car for the 50 to 80 mph and 60 to 85 mph runs (not in that order)
  • TACC and AutoSteer were enabled at the start of each run to ensure the starting speeds were constant
  • All four tests were done on the same stretch of highway within 15 minutes of each other
  • There is no elevation gain on this stretch of highway and wind speeds were insignificant
  • SoC was about the same in both cars (~60% in mine, ~70% in his)
  • The main difference between the two cars, besides the Ludicrous upgrade, is that I have 19" wheels whereas his are 21" (my tires are very new however, with less than 1000 miles on them, so are still pretty sticky)

So without further due, here is the video! I won't spoil the suspense but will post the results in a table format later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright everyone, here's the video you've been waiting for :biggrin:

First, to set the stage right, below are the conditions in which this non-scientific test was performed:

• The two cars that were compared are my P85D with Insane and Yo Mama's P85D with Ludicrous
  • I drove both cars with Yo Mama in the front passenger seat (no other passengers or cargo were present)
  • Four tests were performed: two in each car for the 50 to 80 mph and 60 to 85 mph runs (not in that order)
  • TACC and AutoSteer were enabled at the start of each run to ensure the starting speeds were constant
  • All four tests were done on the same stretch of highway within 15 minutes of each other
  • There is no elevation gain on this stretch of highway and wind speeds were insignificant
  • SoC was about the same in both cars (~60% in mine, ~70% in his)
  • The main difference between the two cars, besides the Ludicrous upgrade, is that I have 19" wheels whereas his are 21" (my tires are very new however, with less than 1000 miles on them, so are still pretty sticky)

So without further due, here is the video! I won't spoil the suspense but will post the results in a table format later.

SPOILER ALERT!! :biggrin:

If you haven't watched the video above, the table below will summarize the acceleration tests we ran:

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph
P85D Insane3.4 seconds3.3 seconds
P85D Ludicrous2.9 seconds2.7 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Welp, unless there's some reason to believe this was not (more or less) an apples-to-apples comparison or that there is some other unaccounted for anomaly, I'm sold on the upgrade. I really didn't expect anything close to this result to be honest.

Edit: Could the 10% SoC difference have accounted for a significant portion of this? In my experience, I would be inclined to think that at most, it might account for up to 0.2 seconds of the difference perhaps...

THANK YOU to both :)

Most excellent production quality.
This is sufficient to have me drop $5K.
If either of you are in the West Palm Beach area, the beer is on me and there is a McLaren drive available (probably should reverse the order of those two).

Surely there is something I can do in exchange for a McLaren drive? :)

Thanks for the video, I'm even more excited to get my Ludicrous now! :)

Probably should make this the lead post in the thread, and with the video.

Keeps people from having to sift through the entire thread in order to get to these findings.

SPOILER ALERT!! :biggrin:

If you haven't watched the video above, the table below will summarize the acceleration tests we ran:

Model50-80 mph60-85 mph
P85D Insane3.4 seconds3.3 seconds
P85D Ludicrous2.9 seconds2.7 seconds