Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flat $500 as well. Haven't noticed a difference with music nor with maps. Getting 3 bars of LTE in a location that prior to today got 1 bar of 3G with regularity, I consider this an affordable exercise in futureproofing, and in that context, money well spent. Was at the current version per the SvC today @ .151, so no update then.

Would test the browser to see if can actually design a car via the Design Studio (not expecting to, but am curious to see if can get further than before).

However, got notice of an update so am applying that patch now instead. No idea of course what the update contains. Perhaps there will be version-specific release notes to read after applying the patch.

No, I did not bring enough for everybody.

Was at the current version per the SvC today @ .151, so no update then.

However, got notice of an update so am applying that patch now instead. No idea of course what the update contains. Perhaps there will be version-specific release notes to read after applying the patch.

It is likely 2.5.21, which could have been staged (but not installed) at the SvC.

Do you have any previous comparison-data with using a mobilephone as hotspot? Same or better with the LTE built in?

"It depends" has been my observation.

The browser in the Model S is slow; in an area with good LTE reception the car tends to be slower with LTE data (but not by much).
However, in areas with spotty LTE reception, the car's coverage seems to be a lot better, and speeds are higher in the car than on the phone.

"It depends" has been my observation.

The browser in the Model S is slow; in an area with good LTE reception the car tends to be slower with LTE data (but not by much).
However, in areas with spotty LTE reception, the car's coverage seems to be a lot better, and speeds are higher in the car than on the phone.
Ok, for me the maps(1) and internet radio(2) would be the important parts in that order. Never really use the browser other than when showing the car to someone:)

True and they don't have a system set to bill back a premium option. Low priority!

Yeah. I wonder how they intend to implement a payment system for the basic 3G/LTE coverage that's supposed to kick in after the free trial period. When I purchased, the free trial was supposed to be for 6 months, but then they extended it to 4 years. I guess they've got a bit of time to figure that one out.

It is likely 2.5.21, which could have been staged (but not installed) at the SvC.

A good idea, but not in this case. Unlike last time, when they did stage .249, which I then installed after leaving the SvC, this time they confirmed that "I had the current version" and on my way I went. No yellow alarm clock icon, in other words.

Then late last night I got a message that there was an update to install and proceeded therewith. Cool.

Turns out it was 2.5.36.

No updated release notes. No idea what changed.

Fun, fun, fun.

Tesla is really dropping the ball by not having the car be a hot spot.

Would love to get a straight answer from Tesla about when this feature will be available. If they forecast autopilot features a year out, they can forecast hotspot availability.

Ok, maybe not, but fwiw, I'd happily give Tesla a few bucks a year for hotspot functionality, or welcome this as a feature included in the tech package option in the Design Studio.

Which is to say paying for it up front for 4 years or the life of the car or whatever they decide would be easier for all concerned than some sort of monthly billing.

Meanwhile, Scottsdale Service has no information about the LTE upgrade other than "it's coming, but we don't have it yet, and no information yet on price". Scottsdale is usually on the leading edge of what's happening at Tesla. I just had my 2nd annual done and requested the upgrade, but they were unable to do it.

Meanwhile, Scottsdale Service has no information about the LTE upgrade other than "it's coming, but we don't have it yet, and no information yet on price". Scottsdale is usually on the leading edge of what's happening at Tesla. I just had my 2nd annual done and requested the upgrade, but they were unable to do it.

What an awesome reason for a road trip to a more informed/in the loop SvC! Nevada, California, Utah, New Mexico - just pick one, but it appears that calling first would be in order.

Then you could compare 3G/LTE performance between the trip to, and the trip back.

Hey, I'm just saying :)