Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the limitation is not the network but the POS processor. Which is crazy, because even a server-class Xeon chip only draws about 100 watts, which is nothing compared to the motor. I wish they'd use a real CPU and graphics engine.

They have to be very conservative with the power-guzzling factor on the chip. Not for battery-depleting reasons, but consider that the CPU+graphics chip(s) needs to be cooled. If the car is left out in the sunshine in some hotter climes, the chip will have a very hard time dissipating heat. It's not like a kit-built PC in your house that sits in air-conditioning all day.

But yeah I dream about what it would be like with thoroughly-rewritten code that simply draws & scrolls a lot more smoothly...

For those that have had the upgrade done, I am curious to learn if the process introduced any new rattles etc. My guess is a good portion of the front dash has to be removed to gain access.

My early 2013 car came with the useless defroster vents and they had to tear it down pretty far to retrofit it with the new design. I had a tiny rattle already and was worried the procedure would make it worse. The little rattle was gone when I got the car back, so I was happy. I now have another creak/rattle in the dash that I can temporarily eliminate by pressing down on the top of the dash just to the left of the 17" screen. Maybe I'll get the LTE upgrade just to get the dash tightened down again. :smile:

My early 2013 car came with the useless defroster vents and they had to tear it down pretty far to retrofit it with the new design. I had a tiny rattle already and was worried the procedure would make it worse. The little rattle was gone when I got the car back, so I was happy. I now have another creak/rattle in the dash that I can temporarily eliminate by pressing down on the top of the dash just to the left of the 17" screen. Maybe I'll get the LTE upgrade just to get the dash tightened down again. :smile:

Mine had this, too - it's a squeak where the top of the dash meets the left support for the touchscreen. A carefully inserted piece of felt with a pair of tweezers while gently lifting on the top of the dash solved this one.

Mine had this, too - it's a squeak where the top of the dash meets the left support for the touchscreen. A carefully inserted piece of felt with a pair of tweezers while gently lifting on the top of the dash solved this one.

My service center fixed dash rattle by installing thin layer of foam underneath. Not visible, and fixed completely. Always nervous when I ask for a rattle to be fixed in any car... often results in worse. Good to know some service centers are drilled on this. I do like your felt fix, though. Going to buy some felt to have on hand...

Having my 3G upgraded to LTE at the Decatur GA service center today. My daily commute is 100+ miles round trip almost all highway. There are more than a few places where my connection drops completely for several minutes at a time (sometimes showing 1-3 bars but no 3G or E just bars) and I lose all car internet access. In the same areas my iPhone LTE has 3-5 dots and is fully functional and full speed LTE. Can't wait to see the difference.

Well, it depends upon the meaning of 'all' and 'lower rates'.

For example, T-Mobile just upgraded Los Angeles-area towers and, in so doing, managed to orphan an entire class of older mobile hotspots. Then they didn't email the owners, and customer disservice didn't tell them either. Fortunately, in-store service has largely saved the day. Am in no way suggesting that AT&T would ever do such a thing. They have managed to get fined well over $100 million over the years for their own special flavor of disservice. But I digress.

All towers? Well, eventually yes.
Lower rates? Sure - except when that doesn't matter.

Part of the problem with any carrier's service is when they rely upon other carriers' equipment. Same as it ever was, right?

I will be covering some previously-traveled hinterlands soon with the LTE upgrade - it's not a perfect test as a few months have passed, but I do hope for more ubiquitous coverage this time around.

Frankly, I'm just happy to be able to futureproof the car in this manner - especially given the recent communication disconnects. Also, it's doubtful that the next round of hardware upgrades (sensors, anyone?) will be so accessible or so graciously affordable.

LTE update done. Maps, slacker, and browser speeds vs 3G are like night and day.

Speedof.me says 20 down 77 up. Pretty sweet.
WK: I have not seen an appreciable change in the browser speed. Though I have not tested the speed as you have. I agree on all other accounts and am happy with those other function speed increases.
I am curious to hear other testimonials about browser speeds as LTE rolls out further