Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE service free only for 4 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone on here got a notice that their 4 years of free service is about to end?

The original multi-year deal was announced in January 2013 so there should be a few. I do not see any pricing for Tesla or any mention of them on the AT&T website. They did have a few references to "Tesla" in their page source code but that could be unrelated.
I wonder how they will do this, if they do it. And I wonder how it will work on the Model 3. If I have to pay for the data then I don't one Tesla to be streaming tons of diagnostics data all the time. But I guess they could cache this data and send it when you are on wifi.

Source was Tesla but I can't find it now. It was four years from the date of the announcement that they were giving 4 years free, and that announcement didn't come until long after my car was delivered in July 2013, so Jan. 2014 sounds about right.
Any word if they are doing this on the Model 3 as well? There is a lot lower profit margin on that car so it wouldn't surprise me if the free data period is for a shorter period - say one year.

“New Model S customers will now receive free data connectivity and Internet radio for four years.”, starting from Jan 1st of this year. - Teslarati article from Feb 2014.

on the CPO page it also says "7 years". so I expect my 7 from purchase, not new.

I think you are looking at the Maps and Navigation "Onboard maps and navigation for North America with free updates for 7 years"

I wonder how they will do this, if they do it. And I wonder how it will work on the Model 3. If I have to pay for the data then I don't one Tesla to be streaming tons of diagnostics data all the time. But I guess they could cache this data and send it when you are on wifi.

I agree I wouldn't want to pay for "Tesla's Data". Also remember, AT&T (as well as VZ) allow companies to zero rate their data. Meaning the company can pay for the data without it going against the customer's data cap. So that could be an option for Tesla if in fact they do force consumers to purchase a data plan, going the way of GM and the like.

I agree I wouldn't want to pay for "Tesla's Data". Also remember, AT&T (as well as VZ) allow companies to zero rate their data. Meaning the company can pay for the data without it going against the customer's data cap. So that could be an option for Tesla if in fact they do force consumers to purchase a data plan, going the way of GM and the like.
When it was discussed four years ago, the plan was Tesla's data connection would continue regardless, but there would be a charge for the consumer-facing data connection.

I suspect LTE/3G access will remain free forever and they'll just build it into the cost of the car. It's going to more expensive to administer a billing plan than the service costs them. And bandwidth keeps getting cheaper. As there are more Teslas on the road, they can pay less and less for bandwidth in bulk.

Maybe in M3 they'll have two SIM cards -- one just for Tesla telemetry (free) and one customer supplied for customer services.

Comparing a Tesla to a phone is laughable at best. A 2012 Tesla Model S still will outperform a good portion of cars on the road. Keep in mind radar cruise control technology has been out for over a decade and yet the majority of cars on the road don't have them. Hell, the majority of cars on the road still dont have rear view cameras. I go rent ICE cars on business trips and only 1/4 of them have a backup camera, and im not renting cheap cars, im picking full size cars from national.

I think Tesla is safely ahead of the curve that there's no risk of our cars being "obsolete" in the near future. And even if they are, who cares? It's still a car that will be able to drive and supercharge and get places. People are still driving around their 1990s model vehicles without hesitation. IHS Automotive in 2015 stated the average american holds onto a car for 11.5 years.

Newer cars will always have more bells and whistles, but doesn't mean people will be buying a new car every model refresh.

Reactions: Canuck
Comparing a Tesla to a phone is laughable at best. A 2012 Tesla Model S still will outperform a good portion of cars on the road.

Agreed. My 15 year old BMW M5 still kicks ass and even gives the Tesla a run for its money.

Cars basically haven't changed much in the last 50 years, really. Lots of improvements, but it's still four wheels, a motor (of some sort) and some seats. I think the Teslas will have even greater longevity.

Hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll be able to drop in a 100kWh (or greater) battery into my 2014 P85D, and instantly it will be on-par (or better) with the P100DLs being produced today. If there are improvements in the drive units and inverters down the road, those are trivial to retrofit.. takes what, an hour? Try that with any ICE! In two hours you can take a 2012 Model S and upgrade it to a current year and current featured Model S and except for cosmetic differences (and AP), it would be hard to tell the difference.

Can't do that with an iPhone. :)