Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud buzz from front when Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
So as per topic.
When I plug in for SC I hear loud buzz (HVAC?) And it is there for whole duration of SC, even if charge speed drops to let's say 40 kW orbless

I know that this is caused by HVAC unit (most likely) but do you also have it very loud, or just mild buzz? Will try to make video next time :/

I am worried that although it is OK now (charge speed wise) this might develop into more serious issue

It’s normal, it’s the heat pump compressor.

It works pretty hard when supercharging to keep the battery and the cabin at the optimal temperature. Particularly in Spain where it’s probably trying to cool the cabin and battery.

A lot of non-Tesla cars can’t cool the cabin and the battery at the same time so they rapid gate (throttle down charging) to stop the battery over heating. To get the maximum speed you have to turn the HVAC off when charging, not exactly ideal even on a sunny day in Britain.

So as per topic.
When I plug in for SC I hear loud buzz (HVAC?) And it is there for whole duration of SC, even if charge speed drops to let's say 40 kW or less

I know that this is caused by HVAC unit (most likely) but do you also have it very loud, or just mild buzz? Will try to make video next time :/

I am worried that although it is OK now (charge speed wise) this might develop into more serious issue
I added sound insulation to the hood/bonnet of the frunk of my Model Y. It didn't silence the HVAC noise but it took the edge off.