Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if wrapping and/or detailing a car has any noticeable influence on wind noise?

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same issue (it sounds like it's just behind me on the left). If there is any cross wind, it sounds like my window is partly down (so much so, I usually reach for the window controls and make sure it's up all the way).

I have a service appointment next week, so hopefully they figure it out

I also have a small amount of air coming in the little triangle window on the driver side. I did not notice it until is started getting a little cooler.[/QUOTE

I have this same wind air noise since I took delivery exactly as you describe. Have yet to figure what is causing it and it is worse when cold outside and windy. Drives me crazy.

I found some tips for finding the source here:
http://www.mikeogara.net/improve_your_car/wind_noise/

Good luck!

Sorry for waking up an old thread but I thought it would be better than starting a new one on the same subject.
I took delivery yesterday and at speeds of 65-70 mph I get severe wind noise from what seems to be the A-pillars. First sounded like high pitched, high volume static from the speakers but it went away when slowing down.
It's that kind of noise that's really tiring to hear so it's kind of bad.
Shouldn't the fix for the A-pillar be in production by now? My car was built early june.
Or is this normal?

Sorry for waking up an old thread but I thought it would be better than starting a new one on the same subject.
I took delivery yesterday and at speeds of 65-70 mph I get severe wind noise from what seems to be the A-pillars. First sounded like high pitched, high volume static from the speakers but it went away when slowing down.
Shouldn't the fix for the A-pillar be in production by now? My car was built early june.
Or is this normal?

First, be sure it's really wind noise. I thought I had a lot of wind noise (it sounded like A pillar wind noise) but then I went over one of the few smooth sections of highway and it quieted right down. It was tire noise. If it is, the Service Centre will fix it up. Yes, the wind noise reduction should have been installed at the factory.

I've had a bunch of wind noise. There are many TSB's for it. My wind noise always came from the pillers and the little front windows on the driver and passenger sides (never had the pano roof wind noise). I remember my first service at Norristown where they applied a TSB and this solved my wind noise. Then when I went to queens SC for yearly service 6 months later they applied another TSB for wind noise (they was all their doing, I did not complain to Queens about wind noise bc I did not have any). So they just blindly applied this TSB. After the Queens SC visit, the wind noise got INCREDIBLY MUCH worse. They should *never* have applied that TSB. I drove around with wind coming from the side windows for practically a full year because going to Springfield SC and explained the issue. The best way to describe it was it sounded like I was always driving around with the windows slightly cracked open.

I remember Springfield saying that for a certain set of cars that TSB that Queens applied made it worse, not better. So Springfield applied a third TSB for wind noise and this completely solved everything. No more wind noise. During my last visit to Springfield to address motor whine, the loaner car that I had which was brand new VIN 44XXX with 1k miles, this had slight wind noise on the little side windows. It wasn't as bad as mine was and in fact if this was my car I probably would not have said anything about it but after Springfield completely fixed all wind noise theres a discernable difference between my car now and the loaner car. Mine's 100% silence. Silence is bliss.

Regarding whether or not it's applied off the factory, probably not. I know they do certain TSBs at the factory now for all cars, such as the A/C blanket and TPMS antenna. But probably not for wind noise bc thats more of an ad-hoc bandaid rather than "factory oem parts". In fact, the fix is nothing more than taping and resealing. Its not like theres a new part or something that they can apply at the factory. They should make it part of their quality control testing before delivery though.

Or is this normal?

Matbl, I had very bad wind noise from the front corner passenger side, and it was because the triangle window and main window were not perfectly flush. The main window stuck out just 2-3mm more than the triangle, causing a lip that created wind noise. After they adjusted them to be flush, no wind noise.

Later after a windshield replacement, I had more wind noise coming from bottom of dash...this was a gap in the urethane caulk ring that needed to be filled.

Thanks everyone. Jerry, no it didn't change when the road smoothness changed.

I was looking for possible sources and came across a small plastic strip that goes up over the very bottom of the A-pillars. Seems kind of strange, should it be above? And should it be loose?

The service center has applied some sort of fix each time I've brought it in, but it still not really gone on my car. I find myself constantly checking to see if the window is down a little bit. The sound comes from the driver side window, near the top of the A pillar.

It sort of comes and goes a bit, but it mostly noticeable when driving over 70mph. It also seems worst at higher altitude, and it's really bad if there is any cross wind at all.

At this point I've pretty much just decided to live with it. If the radio is turned up it's not too bad. Wind and road noise are on my very short list of things I wish were better on the Model S.

The service center has applied some sort of fix each time I've brought it in, but it still not really gone on my car. I find myself constantly checking to see if the window is down a little bit. The sound comes from the driver side window, near the top of the A pillar.

It sort of comes and goes a bit, but it mostly noticeable when driving over 70mph. It also seems worst at higher altitude, and it's really bad if there is any cross wind at all.

At this point I've pretty much just decided to live with it. If the radio is turned up it's not too bad. Wind and road noise are on my very short list of things I wish were better on the Model S.

Same thing happens to my car. They will do a fix when I take it in then it will typically last a few months but inevitably it comes back. I've already taken mine in twice for this and it's starting to come back. Annoying but I just wait to take it in when something else comes up. The San Diego service center guys are really friendly and nice so that makes up for the inconveniences of having various things go wrong.

I've had the car 2 years now and probably been in 7 or 8 times.

Sorry to wake up an old thread. Picked up my new Model S on Saturday, getting the same wind/ car noise from the front passenger A pillar at freeway speeds. I looked on the wind shield when I got home from the outside of where I can hear the noise and looks like the wind shield seal was not installed correctly and is actually separating away from the vehicle in the very spot the sound of wind and car noise is coming from. My service center is Van Nuys and they claim they can't get me in for a month. I explained I would not have accepted the car should I have known of this issue and they are now trying to figure out how to get my car in to be fixed. I'm torn, happy to have the new car but want it fixed ASAP. Will update the group as I get more information.

Has anyone had to replace the wind shield seal and/or the actual wind shield?

Last edited:
Take a picture, post it.

Use some tape to temporarily tape over a gap.. go for a drive. "Fix" it? helps isolate the noise source

Have someone else tape around the A pillar where it meets glass while you sit in car, door closed. Go for drive.

Wind noise is not a reason to reject a car. It can be solved. The culture of Model S ownership means you have to be willing to work with these niggly bits and quirks. Welcome to the crowd!!

Going for a fast drive is all it usually takes to keep you on-side of the fan of ownership. Tesla is counting on that to tide you over until appointments can be made.

Update, yesterday am the Service Manger agreed to get my car in and fix it ASAP. Heard back from the Service Center last night. I was correct its the windshield/ windshield seal is where air is coming into the cabin. They are replacing the wind shield today. Should have it back later on tonight. Driving the loaner model s I can definitely tell the difference and I don't hear the wind noise nor other cars right next to the passenger A pillar. Glad the service center found and agreed where the issue was. I will update once I get the car back if the problem has been solved.