Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Losing miles while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very curious about this vampire drain myself and how many miles you should expect to lose in 5.11. It seems that I pretty much lose 2 miles within 1-2 hours after I have parked or finished charging (charging or not, plugged in or not) and then its much slower after that. For instance, if I do a standard charge (90%) scheduled to start at 4:30 AM, I will be at 191 miles right when the charging stops at about 5:30/6AM. By the time I come out to go to work (7/7:30) I am already down to 189 miles, or 2 miles from whatever I finished charging at. If I actually don't leave and check a few hours later (11AM or so) I am down a total of 3 miles (188) and it seems to slowly lose a total of about 4-5 miles over 12 hours. Is this typical vampire drain? I am set in Energy Saver mode. I did once turn off the Energy Saver mode because I had been having trouble connecting to the car remotely and this seems to eat up even more. However, after I turned it back on - it seems that it is losing a little more than it used to. The weirdest thing is that it seems to take the first 2 miles off pretty quickly then slowly take more as time goes by.
Do you run anything which might stop the car from sleeping? Such as Visual Tesla without sleep mode enabled? That could account for the higher vampire loss as would the battery getting too hot or cold where the car is stored.

Per the Tesla Manual; "On average, the Battery discharges at a rate of 1% per day". This is true is you have "Power Saving" turned on in the setting. I keep power saving disabled as I like the car to respond to the smart phone app quickly. I notice loss of around 4RM per 12 hours.

Note that VisibleTesla with it's default settings will prevent the car from sleeping and thus also cause the car to consume more power. To use VisableTesla and allow the car to sleep; go to "Options > Inactivity Mode > Allow Sleeping"

I am very curious about this vampire drain myself and how many miles you should expect to lose in 5.11. It seems that I pretty much lose 2 miles within 1-2 hours after I have parked or finished charging (charging or not, plugged in or not) and then its much slower after that. For instance, if I do a standard charge (90%) scheduled to start at 4:30 AM, I will be at 191 miles right when the charging stops at about 5:30/6AM. By the time I come out to go to work (7/7:30) I am already down to 189 miles, or 2 miles from whatever I finished charging at. If I actually don't leave and check a few hours later (11AM or so) I am down a total of 3 miles (188) and it seems to slowly lose a total of about 4-5 miles over 12 hours. Is this typical vampire drain? I am set in Energy Saver mode. I did once turn off the Energy Saver mode because I had been having trouble connecting to the car remotely and this seems to eat up even more. However, after I turned it back on - it seems that it is losing a little more than it used to. The weirdest thing is that it seems to take the first 2 miles off pretty quickly then slowly take more as time goes by.

Battery temperature rise above ambient temperature while driving or charging and drops back afterwards. Displayed energy is temperature sensitive, so you don't actually lose miles other than the continous, slow vampire drain which is typically 2-3 miles / 24h.