Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for a source that lists update file sizes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought there was a source with crowd sources update file sized. I can't find reference to it.

The advice for those of us without wifi at home to just use a phone hotspot could work unless one has limited data on one's phone. I've updated from 250MB to 5GB and since, even with data on 100% of the time, I only use 1- 2GB per ;month, I have room to do some downloads but I don't know which ones since tesla refuses to tell me the size of the file. NAV files are large and definitely over my limit. But others aren't as large and I could hotspot at the end of the month if I was assured it wouldn't waste my time and data by pushing me to my limit so I'd have to abort to avoid overage charges.

To clarify: I'm cheap so will not be changing my cell plan. I have a tesla to avoid gas charges. That meant I had to walk away from a grandfathered plan of $15 to $30 in order to get data for road trips and use other charging networks. I have premium connectivity so my husband, still on the old plan, has access to music and the pretty maps in the car. In Canada cell data is expensive especially when using a provider that works across vast swaths of the country (even so, I don't have LTE on parts of my drive to my son's home, just 75km from the centre of the nation's capital.) So I'm too cheap to pay for a fancy plan with lots of data when I only need data when there are updates I want.

All I need to know is how large the files are before I start a download but apparently that's too much to ask of tesla. So I'm asking the community if they know of a source.

Why don’t you have WiFi at home? Choice or lack of availability?
My wifi is 22 storeys above my underground parking spot.

So I suppose it is choice. I've been told before that I shouldn't own a tesla if I don't live in a house with a driveway (and better yet a garage.) My L1 charging also brings scorn down upon me.

There seems to be very few of us who bought EVs in order to reduce our carbon footprint. I choose living in a smaller space, only own one car, live inside a city so that I can walk or transit to a lot of things. The EV was another step towards reducing my carbon footprint.

sidetrackedsue I'm really sorry you had to hear some uppity self righteous overly opinionated price talk down to you. I've heard the garage comment before, probably from the same person. it doesn't matter where and how you live i accept you as a fellow tesla owner. there are alot of options for you to get updates. restaurants, hotels, work, etc. heck maybe you have home internet through 1 of the cable companies. some have a local wifi net with some businesses and you can use your account login info to connect. you don't have to get the whole file at once you can do a little here and there until it's complete. good luck

I received the update over LTE twice within the past week. Confirmed this by doing a reinstall of 2023.44.1 in the service menu to clear the new update download files and waking up the following morning with 2024.3.10 downloaded again via LTE.