Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Local Support in Europe for UK Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently on holiday in Tuscany, sadly have had a prang, doing some damage to the side of my car, and it’s taken a knock to the front left, and some scrapes etc.

After initially throwing a bit of a wobbly, it is drivable, but is pulling to the left a bit. So need it checked ASAP to make sure its safe and potentially get the tracking done. Obviously there could be unseen damage, and my main worry is safety with the family in the car. So best to get it checked if I can, but I can’t imagine if I rock up at rando garage in rural Tuscany they will know what to do.

Does anyone know if / how this might work in terms of going to Tesla - We’re within striking distance of the SC in Florence, so wondering if I can make a rapid appointment to have it checked to make sure its safe, and that I can drive back tot he UK ok where I can let my insurer take over? Wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and has any experience to share.

Thanks, have not, don’t really know how to do that.

Have tried the service request in the app - they can book me into Florence but not for a week - not ideal for a quick check. But could do 4 wheel alignment (at a cost!)

Have found a tyre place up the road which does 4 wheel alignment - tempted to take it there first, ask them to put it up on the ramp and check it. My main concern is just making sure nothing has been damaged badly which Is unseen, so perhaps I don’t need tesla - especially as The car seems to think its fine.

I’ll go back to crying into my cola about my pride and joy being all damaged now.

Thanks, have not, don’t really know how to do that.

Have tried the service request in the app - they can book me into Florence but not for a week - not ideal for a quick check. But could do 4 wheel alignment (at a cost!)

Have found a tyre place up the road which does 4 wheel alignment - tempted to take it there first, ask them to put it up on the ramp and check it. My main concern is just making sure nothing has been damaged badly which Is unseen, so perhaps I don’t need tesla - especially as The car seems to think its fine.

I’ll go back to crying into my cola about my pride and joy being all damaged now.

Cola!?! My man you’re in need of salvation…the delights of a bottle of a choice Tuscan red wine will do no less. 😎👍

Seriously take it to a local tyre shop and get it up on the hoist to see if anything is bent. If it’s bent take it straight to Tesla Firenze and do a bit of begging to see if they can book you in more quickly. If it’s not bent and just needs and alignment, any half decent tyre place with an electronic alignment jig can do Tesla’s.

Cola!?! My man you’re in need of salvation…the delights of a bottle of a choice Tuscan red wine will do no less. 😎👍

Seriously take it to a local tyre shop and get it up on the hoist to see if anything is bent. If it’s bent take it straight to Tesla Firenze and do a bit of begging to see if they can book you in more quickly. If it’s not bent and just needs and alignment, any half decent tyre place with an electronic alignment jig can do Tesla’s.
Haha yeah, that’d be great if I’d had the chance to buy any 🤦

Thanks, needed a bit of encouragement, will do that, and then try the begging.

If bent and not possible, I can have my ins co recover, I’m fully covered, it’ll just screw up the holiday somewhat. Also have euro breakdown cover, but they seem to indicate that they recommend it goes to insurance co not them in case of an at fault accident.

Will go to the local posh looking tyre place with wheel alignment in the morning. Good job I bought pucks before I left.

Reactions: Sean.
All you need for now is a safe car - so something a little bent isn't something to get too excited about, The steering pulling to the left - its probably just a bent track rod - the worst that's going to do is increase tyre wear so if your not planning a world tour or breaking speed records / having a track day - just get the car booked into any garage - mechanics all over the world will spot something seriously damaged, cracked, falling off, downright dangerous.
I wouldn't have them do an alignment as your just throwing your money away. When the whole damage is repaired it will have changed the wheel alignment again.

If the track rod was massively bent you would know - if the wheels look roughly in the right direction just carry on with your holiday and let the whole thing be sorted under the repair.

Reactions: Durzel
just get the car booked into any garage - mechanics all over the world will spot something seriously damaged, cracked, falling off, downright dangerous.
True, however my experience has been that tyre places see far more Tesla’s (and other EVs) and aren’t scared of them.

A lot of other garages / mechanics point blank will refuse to touch them. Stupid I know but the way it is. I suspect Italy won’t be any better than the UK in this regard currently.

This is what I was thinking, if anything is immediately seriously wrong / dangerous it will likely be obvious - so better just to check that.

Interesting point about the alignment. I guess we will have to ask them and see in my Italianish. Sigh.

Slightly worried the car is a write off - even though I suspect mostly cosmetic, a fair amount of damage cosmetically. That would be sad, as I’ve got a 3.9% interest rate locked in on the Tesla Loan - now 7.9%! Eek. I’m catasrophising clearly.

Went to local shop - steering was well out of alignment, unsurprisingly, but one of the suspension arms is bent and obviously they can’t fix that. It is however driving a lot better.

Was still throwing errors, so did a steering offset reset as it was clearly unhappy, which has seemed to re enable regen and traction control for now.

Hopefully drivable now back home ok. Gonna have to try it on the highway later and see if it complains again. When it’s turned everything off (eg traction control, regen) it is harder to drive.

Confirmed on highway autopilot, lane departure assistance etc all back working.

Anyone know how likely bodywork is to write of an M3? Gonna need front and rear quarter panel, new rear door, possibly a new front bumper (minor damage but plastic is never good to fix).

Would prefer if it doesn’t get written off - my interest rate is good on my Tesla loan which I guess would mean I need a new one!