Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 won’t startup after hard reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StephenM

Dec 23, 2012
original owner of 2013 P85 here with 136k on odometer. Got a DI_u014 code a few days ago but after soft reset managed to get it to start up and went to work. Worked for rest of that day.
Next day same error code pops up and soft reset doesn’t solve problem. Made appointment with Tesla service for next week.
Tried doing a hard reset to see if this will make it drivable to service center but now the MCU won’t startup. Door still unlocks and frunk will open with fob.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It won’t charge and doesn’t seem to take any commands so worried the pack could get damaged/bricked if it’s not being managed. Should I see if Tesla can send out a ranger to look at it asap? It’s a weekend now so not sure if I can get a hold of them, or if this can wait til I can have it towed in 5 days.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 17
original owner of 2013 P85 here with 136k on odometer. Got a DI_u014 code a few days ago but after soft reset managed to get it to start up and went to work. Worked for rest of that day.
Next day same error code pops up and soft reset doesn’t solve problem. Made appointment with Tesla service for next week.
Tried doing a hard reset to see if this will make it drivable to service center but now the MCU won’t startup. Door still unlocks and frunk will open with fob.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It won’t charge and doesn’t seem to take any commands so worried the pack could get damaged/bricked if it’s not being managed. Should I see if Tesla can send out a ranger to look at it asap? It’s a weekend now so not sure if I can get a hold of them, or if this can wait til I can have it towed in 5 days.
Oh, also for context, I recently took my car for service less than 2 months ago to replace air compressor tank for suspension and while there had the 12v battery replaced.

Oh, also for context, I recently took my car for service less than 2 months ago to replace air compressor tank for suspension and while there had the 12v battery replaced.
Hi,
Because you mention this, I think (no sure as these cars are computers on wheels with many different possibilities for any issue we have with them) we might have something in common with the issue you have.

About a month ago, our F82 fuse (40 amp air suspension fuse above 12v battery) blew because of the humidity in our air suspension system. Living far away from a service center, I changed the fuse myself but while putting things back together, I left the positive nut a bit loose and that caused, for some reason, the car to need to be boosted (with a booster pack hooked-up to the positive and negative terminal behind the nose cone) every time the car went to sleep. I thought my 12v was toast and drove to the service center and had a new 12v battery installed. That resolved everything back to normal until we had another cold snap and that fuse blew again. So very carefully I changed it once more making sure to reinstall everything perfectly. Problem is, the issue came back i.e. had to boost the car every time it went to sleep. I have been checking, with a volt meter all the connections/fuses and all was fine on that end. I was clueless until a friend of mine on TMC insisted that it could be a software issue. Did not appear logical to me but who know, right? (I had mentioned to him that a software install had failed twice). In any case, the next morning, the yellow update icon was lit and I launched the install and all was back to normal. That was last Friday : hooray! However, on Sunday, at a supercharger, I had to change stalls three times to finally have the car charge : that was very much scary as I was at 2 %.

Now today, my HPWC turned red and even after many resets, no way to have the car charged (at 3%!) : so took the mobile charger and that too was failing until, after 5 tries it is now charging. That is how I found your thread.

I need to mention that the day I went to the service center for the 12v battery, on that morning I had installed an update and after that install, the odometer was about an inch left of the normal position and I had a message "disk space low". I mentioned that to the service advisor and he told me to do a soft reboot and that solved it for other customers (he was aware of the issue). I told him on the way to the service center I had done 5 soft reboots. As usual, he said wait until tomorrow and let us know if it is still showing that message. That went away but the odometer stayed left. Since last Friday. when the install solved the booster pack issue, the odometer got back to it's normal position but the "disk space low" messages came again (meanwhile I had cleared a lot of "favorites" in my browser and flushed many saved navigation "favorites" to make room but that did nothing to solve the "disk space low".

So I think my charging issue could be software related, as I do not have any error message (even when in Service Mode) but obviously, that is just a guess!

I'll keep you posted and will follow your thread with great interest.