Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't respond - except trunk will open with app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a 2016 X that won't respond to any app command except to open and close the trunk and frunk. It won't unlock (it shows the animation on the app for a few second then reverts), change climate, honk, or flash. I don't have a key fob for the car so the app is all I can use.

I climbed in through the trunk and the touchscreen doesn't turn on when I tap it. I held down the scroll wheels to reset the MCU anyway but nothing changed. I didn't want to open the doors from the inside and set off the alarm in case I wasn't able to turn it off. I got the MCU2 upgrade over 6 months ago and haven't had any issues like this with it.

Service says I have to tow it in, which I would really prefer to avoid. Anyone have any ideas on why only the trunk and frunk would be working?

You might want to review the Model X reset techniques that are stickied to the the Model X section. Wiki - Model X Reset Techniques

If that doesn't work, since the frunk opens, maybe you want to disconnect the 12v battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it and see if that helps.

If you have a battery terminal brush, that would be the perfect time to clean the battery terminals (preventive maintenance). Cleaning the terminals also takes a few minutes. Coincidence? Probably not. If the battery connections are oxidized, they drop the battery voltage and the battery controller thinks it's in a higher state of charge than it actually is.

• Helpful
Reactions: MikeC
If that doesn't work, since the frunk opens, maybe you want to disconnect the 12v battery for a few minutes, then reconnect it and see if that helps

This is a very last resort and will likley not solve the problem anyway. If the change wheel configuration does not work you should contact Tesla, they can look at the logs and see if there is a software issue. But if you must try the battery disconnect thing, be sure to disconnect the First Responder loop first. Then, before you reconnect the battery you will need to connect the first responder loop before reconnecting the battery.

Reactions: towndrunk
This is a very last resort and will likley not solve the problem anyway. If the change wheel configuration does not work you should contact Tesla, they can look at the logs and see if there is a software issue. But if you must try the battery disconnect thing, be sure to disconnect the First Responder loop first. Then, before you reconnect the battery you will need to connect the first responder loop before reconnecting the battery.

MikeC stated, "the touchscreen doesn't turn on when I tap it.", so difficult to change wheel config.

Hmm. It appears the car is not waking up, @MikeC needs to get into the front seat and step on the brake. If that still does not work the car should still be drivable without the display, in which case he should just drive it to an SC.

I do like trying your "ass in front seat, press brake to wake it up" idea tho.

Driving it to the SC might be daunting if it's very far away. My nearest is 200 miles and that means hitting a Super Charger once, or some very slow driving.

I do like trying your "ass in front seat, press brake to wake it up" idea tho.

Driving it to the SC might be daunting if it's very far away. My nearest is 200 miles and that means hitting a Super Charger once, or some very slow driving.

If having to drive a long way to an SC, especially if stopping at one or more SuperChargers along the way is needed, then I agree that driving is not a good idea.