Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the work Jeff, it is much appreciated.

As of 04/23/2014, 10,818 miles using 3,550.3 kWh at an average 328 Wh/mi.

About 600 miles ago I added staggered 19" wheels and tires, seems to be a little higher Wh/mi.

IMG_4029t.jpg

Wow, I have the 6th worst Wh/mi average!

I think the biggest factors for me are:

1) Winter/Cold
2) a higher than average number of short trips (I work from home and don't commute...) For example my wife takes the kids to school in winter it's a 2km round trip twice daily.
3) a few hours of track driving, frequently stomping on it in everyday driving and driving 120km/h on the highway (call it driving style I guess)
4) hills, I live on the edge of the Niagara escarpment and frequently go up/down it
5) aftermarket 19x8.5 wheels -> they are lightweight which should help with efficiency but I suspect are less aerodynamic than the standard 19's. Also they have a slightly wider stance with a 38mm offset, and are 0.5 inches wide...

This all makes me wonder if heating my garage would help with efficiency much. Perhaps that is a topic for another thread however...

@mnx - the 2km round trips with a cold battery would have a huge impact, less if range mode is on for those trips.

Sure heating your garage would improve your efficiency numbers. However, if using less energy is your goal, heating the garage isn't the way to do it!

This all makes me wonder if heating my garage would help with efficiency much. Perhaps that is a topic for another thread however...

Possibly, but I suspect from an energy cost perspective, you're better just pre-heating the car and its battery when you need to. Every time you open the garage door you're just going to throw all that heat away and then have to pay to bring it back up to temperature.

There is a metal fabrication firm near my office that introduced a clever energy savings device: He put a switch on his bay doors that turns the heating system off whenever the doors are opened. The savings come from the fact that his employees now only open the doors when absolutely necessary and re-close them as quickly as possible!

Not sure if anyone is tracking this or cares about this, but I have been keeping track of my seasonal energy usage as well as my lifetime usage. Last year I reset my Trip A around October 14-15th. This April 14th (ruination day) I reset Trip A again. So this is what my winter efficiency is (looking at trip A):
Tesla 4-14-14 Trip A.jpg

So now I have reset Trip A, I will not reset it until October 15th to get a good summer efficiency average. Also I will continue keeping track of lifetime energy usage with my Trip B.

Tesla 4-14-14 Trip A Reset.jpg

I'm not sure where the average temperatures came from, but they definitely look too low for the California numbers. We had an exceptionally mild winter this year, and during my commute it was generally in the 50's and 60's, and in Southern California it was even warmer. Showing an average January temp of 45 is way too cold (I think I can remember perhaps one or two mornings of driving where it was that cold). I definitely noticed a step function in energy usage when the temperature dropped below about 50 (where my commute average would jump from 305-315 wh/mile to 330-340 wh/mile). I'm assuming that's the point where the battery needs to be warmed even during driving. It's interesting that the California average is higher than the other warm weather states, presumably because of more high speed freeway driving.

Here is an update for my car. I've had it since ~ 1/1/2013. So far, I've driven 17,534 miles, using 6376.7 kWh, and my average energy usage is 364 Wh/mi. I live on a hill, and also go over another hill every day to and from work and that has affected the mileage for every car I've owned I've since I've lived in my current location.

Wh Miles State Battery Wheels LastUpdate MBattery
shepali 357 5507 AZ 85 19 4/26/2014 85

It is curious to me that I'm so much higher than the AZ average - I guess its because of my commuting habits. The vast majority of my miles are all from my regular daily commute. My commute is about 26 miles each way.....downhill on the way in with more traffic (thus slower speed), uphill on the way home with less traffic (thus I also drive faster). The difference btwn AM and PM energy usage is dramatic. I haven't kept track lately, but for a while it was 8kwh on the way to work, and like 14kwh on the way home.

I have noticed that my avg per day has been less since 5.9 was installed about a week ago or so - has anyone else noticed that?
And the overall avg has been dropping over the life of the car (four months). It was around 367 for the first two months or so. Now at 357. I assume its like others said - less demos, and also getting more into the 'routine' with less fast accelerations.

All very interesting information!!!

A question for all you brainiacs: If your avg is 357, and I think the rated milage is based on 300, does that mean that you use 19% (57/300) more electricity, and therefore would get 19% less miles out of a 'tank' of energy? When I run that calc based on the # of rated miles I used to a destination, compared to the number of actual miles to that destination - I had been using around 30% more rated miles than I drove. So....just trying to reconcile how that all works, purely out of curiosity.

Rated miles require a bit less than 300 Wh/mile. More like 290. My lowest 15 mile average is 299 Wh/m and the projected range was still a few miles less than rated.

If you think your usage is higher than it should be I'd recommend you check your alignment. Especially toe makes a big difference on energy usage.

46k miles total, 16,928kWh, 368 Wh/mi Avg

it is worth noting that I had my car's 48k service last week, and my numbers over the last week I have been seeing 230-260Wh/mi which I don't think I've EVER seen before in all of 46k miles. They did realign the car so now I'm convinced that alignment is a HUGE factor in Wh/mi. oh, still on my original OEM 19" goodyears too haha

46k miles total, 16,928kWh, 368 Wh/mi Avg

it is worth noting that I had my car's 48k service last week, and my numbers over the last week I have been seeing 230-260Wh/mi which I don't think I've EVER seen before in all of 46k miles. They did realign the car so now I'm convinced that alignment is a HUGE factor in Wh/mi. oh, still on my original OEM 19" goodyears too haha

Amazed you're on the original tires, had to change mine around 22K. Impressive Wh/mi numbers.

Some historical data I hadn't gotten around to posting before. Amazing what a month of above 40F weather will do for you!

paco3791, IL, 60, 19, 10942
Month, miles, Total Energy (kWh), Wh/Mile, Lifetime Wh/Mile,
Dec. 2013, 846.2, 367.4, 434,
Jan. 2014, 1557.9, 685.9, 440, 371,
Feb. 2014, 1711.7, 739.6, 432, 385,
Mar. 2014, 1261.9, 470.8, 373, 384,
April. 2014, 1975.5, 608.8, 308, 370,

Last edited: