Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter-gate poll. Did you receive the Supercharger 'please less local charging' lette

Have you received the "less local charging" Supercharger letter?

• Yes, and I didn't deserve it.

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • Yes, and maybe I deserved it.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Nope.

Votes: 192 88.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NigelM,

I guess the third answer "No" is there to get an idea about what percentage of owners are getting the letter. However it should clarify this answer applies only to owners. The third answer should be "No, but I own a Model S". Otherwise what is the point of the third answer. I don't know if polls can be edited. If it was me, and it can't be edited, I would ask this topic to be removed and do it again.

NigelM,

I guess the third answer "No" is there to get an idea about what percentage of owners are getting the letter. However it should clarify this answer applies only to owners. The third answer should be "No, but I own a Model S". Otherwise what is the point of the third answer. I don't know if polls can be edited. If it was me, and it can't be edited, I would ask this topic to be removed and do it again.
I would think it would be obvious for non-owners not to participate in this poll, but perhaps not.

I attribute more common sense to folks, but even if you're right the point of the poll was to quantify whether or not this was a mass mailing. What is clear is that this was a targeted e-mail. There's clearly some folks who claim they received it and shouldn't have and others who admit they perhaps were correct recipients.

I guess what baffles me is that there is no Supercharger within 60 miles of my home, yet I received the letter. I have used Manteca (120 miles away) a total of seven times, five times because I was in Modesto on business (the round trip uses about 90% of the battery; there is no public charging to speak of in Modesto) so I feel that it is OK to drive the 18 miles to Manteca, charge to 95-100% while I eat dinner at a restaurant. The two most recent times were when my wife and I took a road trip to Canada, and Manteca was en route going north and south coming home. I have an S85.

I believe that my usage for business and for my road trip follows the "terms of use." I further feel that charging to 95-100% while dining (and leaving the table temporarily to determine if there is a queue at the stalls) is not abusive. Your comments on my use/abuse are welcome.

Does Tesla expect us to charge while away from home only enough to reach home with a 6% reserve? 10%? I generally leave home for Modesto with 200RM and return with 140-150RM after supercharging.

Communication such as this email without any concrete data and specific suggestions for appropriate usage lack any probative value. How are we supposed to change our behavior if, indeed, what I did is deemed misuse?

Try Ricardo Reyes, he is the VP of Communications. I would think he would have been involved in approving the message that was sent to owners.

I don't think the communications department had anything to do with creating the algorithm. The chief information officer at Tesla is Jay Vijayan. His twitter is below. You could contact both but I wouldn't expect any answer from either. I contacted different people from Tesla on twitter a few times about other issues. Never heard back.

@elonmusk, Elon Musk, Co-Founder, CEO, Product Architect
@JayVijayan, Jay Vijayan, Chief Information Officer
@JVerdura, Javier Verdura, Director of Product Design
@ricardor, Ricardo Reyes, VP Of Communications
@woodhaus2, Franz Von Holzhausen, Chief Designer

Last three messages, including mine don't belong to this topic. Maybe a moderator should move them to the main topic here.

Last edited:
I received the email but I don't know if I deserved it or not. I use a local (about 5 km from my house) supercharger once or twice a week while eating at the restaurant they put it next to.

Unfortunately when I tried emailing them for clarification by hitting Return I got an immediate response saying the mailbox is unmonitored.

I then checked with my former DS (he was recently promoted to a different job with Tesla) and he replied:

+++++
"The people on the email were determined by an algorithm, so if you got it this was simply meant as a reminder of the convenience of home charging since you use the supercharger down the way on a regular basis.

The goal here is to help in areas where people who are using their local supercharger every day prevent other owners on long drives from using this incredible tool."
+++++

I'm going to followup to see if there's someone at Tesla I can get a straight answer from.

I followed up. I just heard back that my email had been forwarded on to "the right people". And he closed with apologies for my having received the email that started all this.