Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FWIW I haven't seen "negativity for trucks"

I've seen fact-based information showing most people who buy them don't do the "truck things" a few in this thread are convinced are THE ONLY REASON TO BUY A TRUCK.

In reality only a minority of truck buyers purchase to tow or go off-road. That doesn't mean the small % that do those things don't do them, it doesn't even mean that being able to MARKET those abilities to the majority who will never use them isn't valuable for a truck.

But the idea nobody will buy one if it can't do ALL THE TRUCK THINGS SUPER GREAT is simply not reflected in how most people who actually buy trucks actually use them.

Most of them use them on city streets, with nothing being towed. A surprisingly high % of those people even do it with an empty bed.

Maybe they like the IDEA they COULD do those things even if they don't.... As someone else mentioned maybe they like the high view- I personally know two women who both drive pickups and specifically cite that exact thing as why-- even though neither has ever towed anything.

LOTS of people (the majority) buy trucks for reasons other than what a few folks here imagine are the only reasons people buy trucks is the point.
And then there is the fancy 4 door pickup that pulled up next to me at the mall and 3 women in dresses and high heel shoes got out..

I wonder how Musk will market the worlds toughest Truck at the unveiling. Will it be the worlds toughest Truck at Offroad capabilities? Will it be the worlds toughest Truck at towing? Will it have the worlds toughest suspension? What exactly does the worlds toughest Truck even mean to Musk?
Does it Really matter? If it hauls and tows like a pickup truck and can minimize dents like a typical tin foil truck works for me. Any statement beyond that will just be micro analyzed by the peanut gallery as if anyone really cares.

I wonder how Musk will market the worlds toughest Truck at the unveiling. Will it be the worlds toughest Truck at Offroad capabilities? Will it be the worlds toughest Truck at towing? Will it have the worlds toughest suspension? What exactly does the worlds toughest Truck even mean to Musk?
Maybe he'll throw another steel ball at it.

It'll be a niche vehicle, difficult to manufacture, and likely sold for a loss for 18 months or so. It's got some cool features but probably none qualify as tough to traditional pickup enthusiasts.

It'll be a niche vehicle, difficult to manufacture, and likely sold for a loss for 18 months or so. It's got some cool features but probably none qualify as tough to traditional pickup enthusiasts.
I'm glad you said probably. Also probable that once the CT is in the wild and traditional enthusiasts evaluate how well stainless steel holds up and the CT's off road capabilities that many enthusiasts will become fans. We'll see. Lots of really successful vehicles are niche vehicles so that doesn't mean anything.
I do believe the mainstream media will be surprised at all the attention and how well the CT does in the market place. And no I'm not buying one. Just don't need a truck.

1000002492.jpg

Hmm.

Reactions: navguy12 and Sklith
Does it Really matter? If it hauls and tows like a pickup truck and can minimize dents like a typical tin foil truck works for me. Any statement beyond that will just be micro analyzed by the peanut gallery as if anyone really cares.
We will see how you really feel when your stuck and get charge the thing due to lack of range