Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@swegman: I greatly respect your decision. I'm glad that I'm P1635, not S200 or something, thus giving Tesla more time and experience in producing the Model S. There's a fine balance, though, between the benefit of delay (=better car from more experienced company) and immediacy (=driving electric, with all the fun and savings).

Robert.Boston, I think the Model S isa very nice car. It was a lot of fun to drive. But it has some issues.Rear visibility is wanting and I felt that the rear view mirror introduced some visual distortion. The reps response was to turn on the rear view camera while driving, but I just did not like that experience. Perhaps i would become comfortable with it over time. The bottom line was that with the visual eye problems I have, I would like a car, especially one costing about $110K, to include the safety features found in cars costing half the price. Even my 7 year old Mercedes sports car includes a collision avoidance system. I expected no less from a state of the art car like the Model S. But anyone who buys the Model S will love it.

Further, my reason for wanting the Signature over the Production car was the Tesla red color. I fell in love with that color when I saw it on the alpha car 3 years ago. But the paint color changed to where it is almost identical to two cars I already own. OTOH, the Sunset Red is beautiful and is very close (if not the same) as the original red color I saw on the apha car. All the Tesla reps at the DC event said the Sunset Red is their favorite color. Sunset Red will be available around January/February 2013. My wife did not like the brown, gren or black color. I don't like the blue color sample I saw, and the Pearl White looks terrible next to Lexus' pearl white.

Kinda drifted off topic there, but I understand well considered deferral. On the subject of the red, my wife prefers the current red to all the others so I guess that's just her good luck!

So we're looking at a couple of weeks before the very first SSLs are delivered! And I noticed my myTesla status turned into "The Tesla Factory is building your..." Only 2 more months.

I talked to Walter Franck again. Some notes from the conversation:
  • Those that finalized, etc. online generally have more accurate web site status because the automated system handles it.
  • Those that have the seemingly wrong My Tesla status can contact a Tesla representative to confirm whether they are really "Booked" rather than merely "Reserved". I don't recommend we all torture them with 100s of requests to twiddle the status on the web site though.
  • I recommended to him that they consider doing a bulk update for all U.S. Sig folks that have counter-signed MVPAs to make sure that the status at least says "Booked" rather than "Reserved" to make it clear that the paperwork has been completed. (For me, this was more concerning than the "In Production" vs. "Booked".)
Sounds like they might have heeded my advice on bullet #3.

Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors
Teoatawki said:
My status has been updated, too! Sig 703.

Seeing that post, I took a look and found mine updated as well:
My Tesla said:
The Tesla Factory is building your
Model S Signature Performance

R#113 received email to build on Friday the 13th. Finalized online today(Performance, Dophin Grey, Black interior, Carbon Fiber, 21" Performance Wheels). Received confirmation of order and paperwork to sign within 15 mins. Executed paperwork and received confirmation of order received in 10 mins. Status on Tesla site updated to "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Performance" immediately. Rep separately said November delivery. Pretty smooth process.

I think it should only say 'building your Model S' when it is actually building your car but maybe they don't track it that closely. I would prefer something like 'your order is submitted to the factory' while you wait then 'building your Model S' when it is actually being built.

Sounds like they might have heeded my advice on bullet #3.

Seeing that post, I took a look and found mine updated as well:

From poking around in the raw source behind https://www.teslamotors.com/mytesla there is a ton of info buried in javascript that doesn't appear to be displayable, but is certainly entertaining enough to provide rampant speculation! :tongue:

Added emphasis on a few tidbits that look tantalizing:

Tesla said:
var userOrders = {"OrderDetails":[{"AccountId":9999,
"BookingDepositWaiveAmount":"0.00",
"BookingDepositWaiveNotes":"",
"BookingStartDate":"2012-07-03T00:00:00",
"CRMCaseId":"",
"CoOwnerDocuSignRecepientId":"",
"CoOwnerEmailAddress":"",
"CoOwnerPaperworkStatus":"COMPLETED",
"CoOwnerRegistrationFirstName":"Obfuscated Redacted",
"CoOwnerRegistrationLastName":"Flye",
"Comments":"Draft Order",
"ConfigId":99999,
"ConfigurationPipelineStatus":"BOOKED",
"CountryCode":"US",
"CreatedBy":"MIGRATION",
"CrmOpportunityId":"Obfuscated",
"CurrencyCode":"USD",
"DateInvitedToConfigure":"2012-05-30T00:00:00",
"DepositPaid":true,
"DocuSignEnvelopeId":"",
"DriveOrientation":"LHD",
"ErpCustomerId":"",
"ErpReferenceNumber":"1000011295",
"EstimatedDeliveryDate":"October 2012",
"ImpersonatorUserName":"",
"InviteAcknowledgeDate":null,
"LastSavedPageIndex":6,
"LastUpdatedBy":"MIGRATION",
"Model":"MODEL_S",
"OrderBookedDate":null,
"OrderId":999,
"OwnerDocuSignRecepientId":"",
"OwnerPaperworkStatus":"COMPLETED",
"OwnerRegistrationContact":{"AccountId":9999,
"Address":{"Address2":"",
"Address3":"",
"AddressId":99999,
"AddressType":"_Z",
"City":"Raleigh",
"ContactId":99999,
"CountryCode":"US",
"County":"",
"CreateDateTime":"0001-01-01T00:00:00",
"CreatedBy":null,
"DisplayName":"",
"LastUpdateDateTime":"0001-01-01T00:00:00",
"LastUpdatedBy":null,
"PostalCode":"27613",
"PrimaryFlag":true,
"StateProvince":"NC",
"Status":true,
"Street":"9999 Obfuscated Redacted LN"},
"CompanyName":"",
"ContactId":99999,
"ContactRole":0,
"ContactSubType":"REGISTRATION",
"ContactType":"OWNER",
"CrmContactId":"",
"Email":{"ContactId":99999,
"DisplayName":"",
"EmailAddress":"[email protected]",
"EmailId":99999,
"EmailType":"HOME",
"PrimaryFlag":true,
"Status":true},
"FirstName":"Daniel Mark",
"LastName":"Flye",
"LocalName":"",
"OptIn":null,
"Status":true,
"Telephone":null,
"UserId":99999},
"PaperworkRequestedDate":null,
"PlannedEndOfLineDate":null,
"ProductionOrderCreationDate":null,
"ReferenceNumber":"RN099999",
"RefundAmount":"0.00",
"ReservationDownPaymentAmount":"40000.00",
"ReservationId":9999,
"SequenceNumber":414,
"Series":"SIGNATURE",
"SolarCityConsultation":false,
"SourceInformation":{"SourceDevice":"",
"SourceStore":""},
"Status":"SENT_TO_ERP",
"TeslaCountersignPaperworkStatus":"COMPLETED",
"TotalBookingDepositReceived":"0.00",
"TotalBookingDepositRequired":"10000.00",
"TotalVehiclePrice":"107850.00",
"Uid":99999,
"Variant":"Performance",
"Year":2011,
"modellabel":"Model S Signature Performance",
"model_code":"msgp",
"compositor_options":"COL2-PMSS,WTSP,RFBK,IZZW,IDCF,TM02,DRLH,BT85,HP00,CH01,SC01,SU01,TP01,AU01,PA00,PS01,TR00,PF01,AD02,X019",
"bookingDepositPaid":"1",
"StatusLabel":"The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature Performance",
"ShowSignDocBtn":"0",
"ShowPayNowBtn":"0",
"ShowBookingBtnDiv":"0"}]};

Last edited:
Well, if we're still getting to the R's in November, I guess there's no hope for P2840 at Thanksgiving and Tesla is going to have to produce a crap ton of cars in December to hit 5k, substantially more than the 20k/year run rate.

Edit: Say R113 got delivered on 11/1 and came after all Canadian Sigs, so you'd have ~1350 Sigs/Founders/Roadsters delivered at that point. You've now got 9 weeks until the year end. At full 20k/year run rate, that's 385 cars/week * 9 weeks ~= 3450 cars. Plus the previous 1350 is ~4800.

And that's a best case (e.g. R113 on 11/1). Barring double shifts in December or some such, that casts real doubt on the 5k number, and I'm not sure I want my car coming out of exhausted workers at the end of double shift...

Last edited:
From poking around in the raw source behind https://www.teslamotors.com/mytesla there is a ton of info buried in javascript that doesn't appear to be displayable, but is certainly entertaining enough to provide rampant speculation! :tongue:

Added emphasis on a few tidbits that look tantalizing:

I just tried this with my account...I also have an "estimated delivery date" value of October 2012...I guess that part of it is just a generic placeholder since I'm P 9130! Good find though! Lots of interesting info!

As an aside, as this is right up my alley, wanted to note that Tesla appears to be using the open source ERP+CRM product from opentaps rather than going for one of the big fish (SAP, the big O and so on).

Very neat!
They also use SFDC. When I was buying my Roadster my salesperson was showing me their inventory list from within salesforce. Not sure if they moved away from them or using it purely for CRM...

R#113 received email to build on Friday the 13th. Finalized online today(Performance, Dophin Grey, Black interior, Carbon Fiber, 21" Performance Wheels). Received confirmation of order and paperwork to sign within 15 mins. Executed paperwork and received confirmation of order received in 10 mins. Status on Tesla site updated to "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S Performance" immediately. Rep separately said November delivery. Pretty smooth process.
That's the same config we're going to go with except silver wheels. Also note that they dropped all the descriptors from the colors. It's just grey, blue, black, etc. Heard about it at the PA drive event and just confirmed when I went to the design studio.

That's the same config we're going to go with except silver wheels. Also note that they dropped all the descriptors from the colors. It's just grey, blue, black, etc. Heard about it at the PA drive event and just confirmed when I went to the design studio.

Went away from the Blue (that would have gone with your Roadster), strider?!

not me. I'm still "reserved" even though I'm SSL #88 with an ETA of 8/15.

:-(

I'd probably just send them an e-mail when it gets closer if it hasn't changed. You probably did all your paperwork via e-mail or over the phone so it's a manual process from them. Later numbers did a DocuSign thing where it's all electronic and the system updates itself. It does seem to say 'we're building your Model S' as soon as your paperwork is done even for people expecting a October delivery though so maybe not to accurate.