Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kman's Tesla Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting the videos of your trip. I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone in June next year and will be taking the same route. Fortunately, Sheridan is under construction and Gillette would certainly be built by then, so I should have no problem making the trip using only Superchargers. Your Buffalo video satisfied my curiosity on crossing the gap with a 60. I don't have dual chargers and I'm quite confident I won't run into a situation where I'd want it.

Thanks for posting the videos of your trip. I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone in June next year and will be taking the same route. Fortunately, Sheridan is under construction and Gillette would certainly be built by then, so I should have no problem making the trip using only Superchargers. Your Buffalo video satisfied my curiosity on crossing the gap with a 60. I don't have dual chargers and I'm quite confident I won't run into a situation where I'd want it.
Your welcome. Many more coming, Uploading is slow. Make sure you get a 100%
charge in rapid city, and
a 100% in Buffalo. Without a Dual charger, plan on spending the night in Buffalo.
I had the same attitude about getting the dual chargers at first on my 60. After my first long road trip to Niagara Falls (All on video too), I promptly had it installed when I returned. It has been indispensable. I think it should actually be standard feature.

Make sure you get a 100% charge in rapid city, and a 100% in Buffalo. Without a Dual charger, plan on spending the night in Buffalo.
Won't be necessary since my trip will be happening a year from now and it would be unfathomable if the gap wasn't filled with the required Superchargers by then. The [end of] 2015 Supercharger map shows Sheridan and Gillette built and we already know Sheridan is under construction.

My opinion on the dual chargers is that it made much more sense when there were fewer Superchargers covering the interstates, and it's becoming less and less necessary as more are built. You also travel way more than I do (the Yellowstone trip will probably be the first time I need to charge away from home, two years after delivery), so you're much more likely to need the dual chargers even with a lot of Supercharger coverage. If worst comes to worst and I find myself wanting the second charger, I'll just need to wait twice as long (probably overnight as you mentioned) and I can get it installed so that doesn't happen again. We'll just call it a learning experience, as it was for you. With sufficient planning, I find it very unlikely that I'll run into that situation, but you never know.

Won't be necessary since my trip will be happening a year from now and it would be unfathomable if the gap wasn't filled with the required Superchargers by then. The [end of] 2015 Supercharger map shows Sheridan and Gillette built and we already know Sheridan is under construction.

My opinion on the dual chargers is that it made much more sense when there were fewer Superchargers covering the interstates, and it's becoming less and less necessary as more are built. You also travel way more than I do (the Yellowstone trip will probably be the first time I need to charge away from home, two years after delivery), so you're much more likely to need the dual chargers even with a lot of Supercharger coverage. If worst comes to worst and I find myself wanting the second charger, I'll just need to wait twice as long (probably overnight as you mentioned) and I can get it installed so that doesn't happen again. We'll just call it a learning experience, as it was for you. With sufficient planning, I find it very unlikely that I'll run into that situation, but you never know.

Wait wait wait wait

A Michigander who doesn't take trips "up North"?

Where are you really from?

:tongue:

Wait wait wait wait

A Michigander who doesn't take trips "up North"?

Where are you really from?

:tongue:
Very rarely north, like only once to the UP and once or twice into the thumb and middle, with family. We travel out-of-state much more often, usually to visit friends/relatives for holiday vacation every couple years or so.
I also don't hunt or follow sports (other than Formula E), which are two of the most popular things to do around here. I'm an introverted basement geek, what can I say?

Originally from Washington state and lived in Alabama for 5 years before moving here 15 years ago.

Very rarely north, like only once to the UP and once or twice into the thumb and middle, with family. We travel out-of-state much more often, usually to visit friends/relatives for holiday vacation every couple years or so.
I also don't hunt or follow sports (other than Formula E), which are two of the most popular things to do around here. I'm an introverted basement geek, what can I say?

Originally from Washington state and lived in Alabama for 5 years before moving here 15 years ago.

Aha! Knew you couldn't be a native.

;)

Moved here 16 years ago from West Bloomfield. Grew up almost dead center mid-Michigan; this summer I'm vacationing in Grand Haven, where I'll retire to in about 7-8 years.

KMan, sorry for sidetracking your thread!

Only 4 more SuperchargerTravel.com videos for this session, they will be posted tomorrow. Then back to our regularly scheduled Tesla Videos :) I have thermal imagery of a Supercharger handle getting up to 180*F, and then will be digging through my Road Trip videos for what to post :) Lots of good stuff. Lot of editing to do too! And uploading 4k UltraHD video takes some time.

So Cheers! And thank you for watching! I appreciate that if you enjoy my videos, or have ever found them useful in any way, please thumbs up, and subscribe. This helps me do more road trips and present things such as the battery swap stations, liquid cooled supercharger stations, the factory, Hawthorne, and all the other cool things I record for your viewing pleasure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see all your videos! BTW, the Las Vegas Supercharger is not in a dangerous spot. I have been there many times, both day and night. Granted it's not a high class neighborhood, but you don't have to fear getting robbed or anything.

Great to see all your videos! BTW, the Las Vegas Supercharger is not in a dangerous spot. I have been there many times, both day and night. Granted it's not a high class neighborhood, but you don't have to fear getting robbed or anything.

I was going based on what my cousin who lives in LV has told me. She gave me specific areas not to go walking around at night ;)

- - - Updated - - -

And thats the last of em. I will be going on another road trip East, going down to South Carolina in about 3 weeks, will add another 20-30 superchargers on that trip.

I noticed the 7 1/2 inch gauge riding car that you are lugging around, are you a live steamer kind of guy. Where is the locomotive?
Locomotive was in the Frunk, with it's body in the Trunk ;)

Wasn't going to post it, as it's not really Tesla related, but since you brought it up, here you go ;) Tehehe

My Locomotive (I Just finished painting the flat car, did not have it done in time for our trip)

Where our road trip was "originally" supposed to be to. Train Mountain, by Creator Lake, OR. They have 36 Whopping Miles of 7 1/2" gauge track. I had a out dated track map.... Me and the boys got lost for about 3 1/2 hours out on the mountain. I was sweating bullets, as I never ran my loco for that long. I had hoped we would not run out of battery power, as it's powered by 2x Led Acid marine batteries. As we were going, finally caught up with someone else (Didn't see another soul for that 3 1/2 hours!!!) That person was driving a little steam powered Porter engine. I Was happy as can be at that point. I figured, a steamer, he must at least know where the water towers are, and if he knows that, he knows how to get back to the depot. And at the very minimum, if we run out of power, he can tow us, and I have regen brakes on my Box Cab, so it would regen our batteries as he tows us ;-) Ended up being only 2 miles from the depot at that point. Made it back. Locked up our loco for the night at the yard, and got some pizza, promptly returned to hotel and passed out for the night... Got a good 6 1/2 hrs of run time pulling us at about 10 mph. I estimate, we covered a good 20 miles that day total. Surprised at the range we got!!! Here is a 2 1/2 hr ride we did the next day. Fabricated a camera mount on the front of my Box Cab. Needs improvement, but was good for 10 minutes of work, and virtually no tools with me...

And, the railway I rive the BIG little trains, and volunteer, is the Riverside & Great Northern Historical Preservation Society. That is 15" gauge, and when it was the original Sandley Light Engineering Company, Norm and Elmer Sandley built some of the most famous 15" and 24" gauge locomotives, 19 in all, and 36 Passenger Cars. 2 of his Loco's are very popular and still, even after so many years, in DAILY operation at the Milwaukee County Zoo, Which are a Pacific and Atlantic Class Engine. We were lucky to get back the smaller retired #82 (American Class, Cival War Design) from the Milwaukee Zoo around 1989 to be able to open the Historical Society and start pulling passenger trains. It was retired at the Zoo and put on static display due to the train ride being so widely popular. The engine could not keep up with the demand the zoo was placing on it, which is why they had Sandley's build the Atlantic and Pacific locomotives (Easily pull twice the number of rail cars). We restored the 82 back in full operating condition, and it has been happily pulling smiling children and tourists since 1990. We also managed to acquire it's identical twin, the #98 ( I joke that they are the Texan and the General!, and have been begging to run one in reverse and recreate the Civil War's Great Locomotive Chase!).
To get the #82 from it's static display, we did a trade. We built the Zoo a Brand Spanking New Diesel Locomotive (Still in use as well), in trade for the (at the time) non-functional #82. They took the offer and everyone was happy.
I myself, am in the process of restoring Colby Tram. One of our Past members (May he rest in peace, Mr. Sandburg) had built. After his passing, it sat untouched for about 10 years, as it was not certified for passenger pulling (wasn't 100% complete to get certified by the state). I recently, this spring, started work on it. It is my personal project to get operational. We would like to use it for children birthday parties (We get a lot of requests). I have it running, and it runs beautiful now. Last thing I need to do is install Air Brake system, and add another chain to the front drive wheels, as only rears are connected. Cost is about $1,000 for the air brake system, and $150 for the proper chain and sprockets.
Here is Colby
We also have the Tom Thumb, the Oldest loco on the railway, it is a vertical boiler, 4 wheel tiny lil bugger, that uses a whiskey barrel for a water tank. Very Very old, Built approx 1948 roughly (I forget). That one is only used for parades and very special occasions... If we can pry it out of Gary's hands for a few hours... Always tinkering with it...
And lastly, we have the 128. It was at the Knoxville Zoo for a great number of years, until it was derailed and turned over. Then it was put out in a back storage lot for about 25 years :( Unfortunately, due to that, what would have been minor repairs became major due to rust. It is in need of a new boiler (about $50,000 that we have raised 17,000 of, and are desperately looking for donations and sponsors to get it running again). We just pulled the Tender apart this past week, and started work on that, since the engine itself, no point in even starting work on that until we have the boiler in hand.
And my Full Feature Film for the Riverside & Great Northern Railway Riverside Great Northern Railroad

If anyone here, is willing to donate to the railway to help keep our preservation society running, this miniature living museum, please contact me or go to Riverside Great Northern Railroad
We are also looking for corporate sponsors as well as individual donations. We are Volunteer Run, and operate 100% on Donations and Ticket Sales. All donations are Tax Deductible.